Optical or coax...?

edited March 2011 in Digital
Which?
Why?
Possible technical explanations?

Comments

• Seriously, the usual recommendation is coax, 'cos optical can get a bit jittery - ie it has high jitter figures.

However, YMMV.
  • Thanks Dave. I feared as much.
    USB not yet an option...
    I've always used coax from bdp to DAC, but recently switched to optical to allow the freeview box (coax only) to access the coax on the DAC.
    The bdp sound via photons is still good, but I had the nagging doubt that I could be missing something.
    My upsampling DAC claims to 'reclock' data to eliminate jitter. BS...?
    Ben
  • At the risk of sounding like you-know-who, trust your ears.

If it doesn't sound good, then it isn't good. Stuff the specs.
  • edited January 2011
    Actually, managed to get my wrist round the back ok.
    We're back on coax..
    It's the shape of percussive events that seem to benefit... :-)
    I'll just manually plug and unplug between bdp and freeview (not often) as required.
    Ben
  • Actually, managed to get my wrist round the back ok.
    We're back on coax..
    It's the shape of percussive events that seem to benefit... :-)
    I'll just manually plug and unplug between bdp and freeview (not often) as required.
    Ben
    Am I ever going to live that down?  :-"
  • Live it down...?
    You should be dining out on turns of phrase like that!
  • You're too kind  :">
  • edited January 2011
    I never liked optical Ben, dunno why though. I use it to connect TV things to the main system, which is probably for the best given the interference that might otherwise bring.

Over on Lampizator's site (Lukasz Fikas - very bright digital expert) - he has been looking at toslink. The optical transmitter simply runs off any s/pdif output - it seems a very simple matter to take the optical socket & transmitter out & replace with an RCA socket. He has done it with good results.

Not helpful, but interesting. Which is almost as good? perhaps?
  • Interesting often better than useful, as interesting-but-not-useful imposes no sense of duty,

:)>-
  • Firewire especially when using a Weiss dac    :-c