Kate Walsh - Peppermint Radio

edited March 2011 in Other music
Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this album. In her spiel, she says how she's tried to avoid doing covers as a youngster, but as she's grown in confidence she realises that these great songs can be done without any loss of cred etc.  I enjoy every track, but am a sucker for tracks like "A Little Respect", I liked the Wheatus version too.  Hope someone finds pleasure in this.

Comments

• I'll check it out, ta
  • I just read you little eulogy to Ted on the Young thread, and I was already sold! I'll be having a look too, thanks!
  • oh no....pressure, pressure!
  • I think Figlet108 of another forum is a big KW fan - or was it @Docfoster of this parish?
  • It's figlet.
    I've got one of her albums ("bob's gaf" or some such)...it's ok, but a bit too simpering to really enthuse me.
    Ben
  • Yup. I realised that after I posted.

I'm with you, Ben, on what I've heard.
  • One man's simper is another man's meat, so to speak.  That's music for ye.
  • Agreed.
    Apologies if my last post was a bit flipant/snooty. Posting at bedtime after the best part of a bottle of wine is not ideal...!
    Ben
  • Ben, I didn't find anything said by anyone a problem :-)
    And much as I like her, i can see where the comment "simpering" comes from.  I too had caned a btl of Villa Maria Merlot, the btl i bought for the babysitter and his olives as he didn't come coz Mrs Uz harbours snot 
    :0&
  • Got to say I like the softy, girly stuff too from time to time.

:x =(( :"> :-O

I haven't played Missy Higgins in a while now, but I am fond the 'sound of white' album. I'll buy some Kate Walsh when Uglymusic isn't looking!
  • Not ugly enough for me  ;-)
  • "I feel pretty.......
    "
    B-)
    Actually Dave - you might check out Dave Grusin's version of above from West Side Story on spotti. Great SQ, superb arrangement & kickass musicians - it is a bit of a riot!
  • But very glossy, no doubt  ;)

I'll give it a go.
  • Yeah - it is slick. Or did you mean me?
    ;-)
  • edited January 2011
    :">
    Dave's post has disappeared everyone. He said he loves me...
  • I can't see my post between your two @Alan. It was one of those unexplained double posts, of which I deleted the second.

I'll wait to see if it reappears.
  • I have learned to leave the double - one of them usually goes.
  • OK. Well worth knowing
  • Back to Kate Walsh. I'm listening to Peppermint Radio on Spotti at the moment, and I have to admit I'm really enjoying it. 

There seems to be more substance in it than what I've heard from her before. Maybe I don't like her songwriting? I don't know. Maybe I'll have to do spend some more time with her.
  • Back to Kate Walsh. I'm listening to Peppermint Radio on Spotti at the moment, and I have to admit I'm really enjoying it.
    Ya big softie!
  • He likes PrettyMusic too!
  • Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this album. In her spiel, she says how she's tried to avoid doing covers as a youngster, but as she's grown in confidence she realises that these great songs can be done without any loss of cred etc.  I enjoy every track, but am a sucker for tracks like "A Little Respect", I liked the Wheatus version too.  Hope someone finds pleasure in this.

I like most of what I've heard from Kate and this is no exception.  Her version of "A Little Respect" is illuminating, I always liked it but it becomes a really moving song here.

Steve

• I like most of what I've heard from Kate and this is no exception.  Her version of "A Little Respect" is illuminating, I always liked it but it becomes a really moving song here.
    Steve

Then the purpose of this thread has been fulfilled. 
  • Sigh - another penny in the pocket of mr Amazon..
  • So it goes...
  • edited January 2011
    So it goes...

Thanks for the sympathy, you swine!!
    You & Jim have cost me the most. OK, so maybe it's worth it..
    :P

The Bill Evans box set arrived today - I'll maybe get to rip it this week.
  • Welcome to the Music Fiends' Society.

Get ripping!
  • Did you mean to write fiends rather than friends?
    :ar!
  • Yup. Definitely fiends.
  • Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying this album. In her spiel, she says how she's tried to avoid doing covers as a youngster, but as she's grown in confidence she realises that these great songs can be done without any loss of cred etc.  I enjoy every track, but am a sucker for tracks like "A Little Respect", I liked the Wheatus version too.  Hope someone finds pleasure in this.

Hi Andy,

<fanatical gush>
    as was hinted, I absolutely adore Kate's music, especially her voice - I find it spine tingling at times. I've seen her live 4 times over the past 18 months or so, each time in a small intimate setting, and just with her cello player to accompany her.

Although I like it, I have to admit to Peppermint Radio not being my favourite. It's Light and Dark for me. I literally drove my wife nuts playing it over and over during 2010 until I was banned to play it in her earshot :)

Again, it's the delicacy of her voice that blows me away, especially when you hear her live.
    </fanatical gush>

You may also enjoy:
    Lotte Mullan's Plain Jane album - here's her upcoming release.
    Al Lewis's In the Wake album - here's his debut single  (this is getting lots of play time in the Figlet household)

Jason
  • Jason,
    Let's get this straight....I love Kate Walsh.  And, when my evil plan is complete, she will [have no choice but to] love me.

Light and Dark, followed by Tim's House are her best albums.  Very different to Clocktower for obvious reasons.  I do like Peppermint Radio, but then I already liked the tracks she covered.

In response to your other post I've already bought (but not yet got) Lotte Mullan's and Al lewis's albums.  

I'll post back with a few of my favs but for now I need to crash.
    Andy
  • edited March 2011
    Let's get this straight....I love Kate Walsh.  And, when my evil plan is complete, she will [have no choice but to] love me.
    Ah, the same old story of unrequited fanatical love, kidnap, and ultimate disappointment - we've all been there...
    Light and Dark, followed by Tim's House are her best albums.  Very different to Clocktower for obvious reasons.  I do like Peppermint Radio, but then I already liked the tracks she covered.

Completely agree.
    In response to your other post I've already bought (but not yet got) Lotte Mullan's and Al lewis's albums.  

Really hope you enjoy them.

Jason

• Go to the gig, knock on the head, into the car boot, bob's yer uncle.

Come on, you heard her recorded, now's your chance to get the real-deal.
    Andy

• Hi Jason.  Thanks for the Al Lewis recommendation.  Never heard of him before so headed over to Spotify for a listen and I'm impressed.  Will check out Lotte Mullan's album as well, but for now I can't tear myself away from Al Lewis's album.

James
  • He reminds me of Josh Rouse James.
  • Cheers Andy. Never heard of Josh Rouse so that's another name for me to run through Spotify.....a link is developing between reading this forum and spending money :-)

Back on topic; I'm really enjoying Peppermint Radio. Never been into Kate Walsh before but some of these covers are rather good.
  • Music tips are the best tips :-)