cables

edited September 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
which loudspeaker cables would best suit my young dac seca and impulse lalis. was thinking about the tq stuff but it is apprently system dependant.Well everything is but i mean by the more expensive blacks or ultras might not suit aswell as blues, or is it just try everything..
chris 
excuse this its off a phone. 

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Haven't tried the TQ myself, tho' plenty here have.
    I've progressed through the NVA range (to LS6) and it's all very good value, and well worth trying.
    Plenty here have experience of TQ and NVA so will be able to offer comparative opinions.
  • I've used TQ Black, Green, Ultra Black and Graphite, and can say that they all beat NVA LS5 in my system, and not only to my ears. I've not heard LS6 or LS7.

Each of the TQ speaker cables has been better than the one below it, and the Ultra Blacks and Graphites have been magical.

I don't know the SECA, but have a Young with PSU, and had a pair of Impulse H6s, which I loved, for a while, so I'd imagine that the TQs will make a lot of sense with your system.

I think you'll probably get some benefit from any of them, from Black upwards (I suspect the Blues may not do the rest of your gear justice, but Colin may be able to comment on that).
  • The main priority is that they are of sufficient length to stretch from your amplifier to your speakers. If you get that right you are 90% there.

The other 10% is often expensive, always highly subjective and arguably not terribly important.  :)

I used NVA (LS1,3 & 5) and thought they were all excellent. I now use TQ black which I prefer for three specific reasons, none of which are earth shatteringly significant. A friend of mine has one of the best systems I have heard and uses Kimber 8TC, so I reckon that's good too. Also I have heard only good things about the Talk 3 that Paul (PAC on this forum) sells. Many use it on very expensive systems, one chap with £16k speakers. He also used LS5 & TQ black in the past. (I would try Talk 3 if I were you as it is very cheap).

I don't know what you use already Chris (it may be fully fit for purpose already), but my advice is don't worry about it. Trial stuff you are genuinely curious about and can afford easily, and when funds permit and the inclination is there set another cable against what your previous reference. Enjoy it for what it is (10% remember).

I suspect any of the cables mentioned in this thread so far would be a good place to start.
  • Personally, I always look for a cable that presents low capacitance especially if cable runs are quite long. DNM cable is good if a little pricey, the latest Naim cables are pretty good and I've heard good things about the LS6 cable too.  I'm not a fan of the Kimber speaker cables as their litz braid configuration usually means high capacitance.  Talk 3 is great and probably cheaper than the lot.  The only way you can assess what cable is right for your system is to try different ones and settle on one you like.  It shouldn't (have to) cost a fortune.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the replies, I have been using mogami , both for speaker leads and interconnects. I'm currently doing abit of DIY in the room with stereo so bought some cables from maplins 'longer runs' . I also have some canare interconnects ,really short jobs any opinion on lengths.I think when I put everything back properly I will try some different things. It is quite refreshing that you don't all think chucking cash is necessarily the best option.
    Regards Chris.