Streaming HD and hi-res - another possibility

edited October 2012 in Digital
I've been happily streaming multiple music and video files over WiFi to various rooms, but recently have been suffering increasingly from drop-outs. As nothing else has changed, I have to point at the number of WiFi networks that have been appearing round here. 

One effect of the interference is 12Mb Internet access over wireless, compared to 50Mb over Ethernet.

I could have messed about with WiFi broadcast settings, but finding and testing a clear frequency didn't really appeal.

Instead, bought a pair of these powerline network devices from Amazon for less than £50. Setting them up was blindingly easy - just plug them in to a 13 amp socket at each end and wait for the lights to do their thing in a few seconds. Press a couple of buttons to set up the encryption. Pop in an Ethernet cable at either end. And you're away.

So now I have full Internet access speeds in my office, no drop-outs while streaming even multiple files, and a second WiFi network (using an Airport Express) that not only covers the office but provides better WiFi for the bedroom.

Peachy!

Comments