choose me a new amp

edited October 2012 in Amplifiers
New speakers on the way 95db. Using 300Bs in PSE at the moment but fancy a change.
Need to be 15w a side minimum and sadly it's unlikely I'll get to audition...
Suggestions please.
Budget up to about 1500 -2k...depending on if and when my kit sells...

Comments

• Should add I don't care if integrated or not, though budget will need to include pre if not.
    Listen to all kinds of tunes ...but hate classical music.
  • Oh gawd. Sounds like you're asking about valves. Don't know much about them :-(
  • Try a SECA second hand from Quickie or better still build your own like what we all have here, that is right ain't it Dave??
  • Seconded try a toca seca.
  • The Seca looks interesting but would prefer valves I think.
    S
  • I know Col hates the Manley Stingray, which is a shame because they look tres cool.

How about some EAR509s? I would love to have some one day. Failing that, I suspect Croft gear is hard to fault.
  • Yeah. Croft does gets lost of thumbs-up, and we have at least a couple of happy owners here - @PAC and @Jim (Jim just has a pre, with a much modded Quad power).

I still have a picture of Croft gear looking like badly made Meccano, but that time's long gone.

I'd love to hear some 509s, though. Even as a valve sceptic.
  • Try a SECA second hand from Quickie or better still build your own like what we all have here, that is right ain't it Dave??
    Waiting for the plans, Col. My soldering iron (whatever that is) at the ready ;-)
  • edited October 2012
    On it,s way, Croft valve kit is good, nice bloke to, Manley made in China no thanks, why not a nice NVA.at least it is British I think! or a Pass Amp nice sound.
  • PM PAC (Paul). As stated above, he's a Croft user and has a lot to say about them and the after-sales service that Croft offer.
    I'm not a valves kind of guy, but Paul's system sounded pretty good to me when I popped around to hear it a couple of months back.
  • PACPAC
    edited October 2012
    Croft are great amps, and Glen is a pleasure to deal with, a top guy in the industry!  For the speakers you're looking at Stu there is two ways I'd go.  Firstly, call Glen and have a chat about custom making a 7R for LESS output (say 30w max...quality not quantity!) using valve regulated power supplies and buy the matching 25 micro.  It would (just) be within budget.  The alternative would be a used AN Otto integrated (15w) used or the only Chifi I have ever rated are the Consonance amps (great transformers), so the Cyber 10s or one of the more powerful ones.  
  • AudioStoat.

There is no other.
  • Dammit! How could I have forgotten the Rolls Royce of audio like that?
  • edited October 2012

• edited October 2012
    Can't go far wrong with Croft.
    All of the pre amps sound excellent and you should find a Series IV or V power amp if you're patient enough.

The little Series V is lovely - used eight EL84 tubes, four per side as parallel pairs to deliver a solid 25w.
    Small shoebox sized amp and really nice sound. Usually go for around £500.
  • I don't think Manley is built in China...they are built in Chino in the US.
    Ended up with a Fi X and Fi Y. Just sorting the finances out...still. Built in the Bronx, 2A3 and satisfies none of my criteria above ;-). Be an interesting diversion anyway.
    Of course there is the Mighty Audio stoat, but I'd feel I was willy-waving if I was to say I already had a couple of these superb amplifiers! Partnered with the iProd remote I really don't think you can get better!!

• edited December 2012
    The iProd for them that don't know itimage
  • edited December 2012
    Wow, that's bleeding edge right there.

Bleeding something, anyway...

I believe I recognise that shiny HiFi component on the upper shelf? ;)
  • Great Pre the NVA, but didn't get on with the Squeezebox for some reason...
  • It was certainly versatile, lots of inputs, three outputs and twin volume control. Strange about the incompatibility though.
  • That's passives for you. Although I must say that despite what I've been told, I haven't experienced those kind of problems myself.
  • Main issues with passive are the load placed on the driving electronics.
    This is particularly the case with tube gear, but it can also affect op amp output stages since not all op amps are entirely happy into low impedance loads, particularly if the interconnect has high capacitance.
    Use of the correct op amp and some resistive output buffering against the cable capacitance is required IME.
  • Sugden A21 - pure class A and the sweetest little amp ever.
  • I would try the Sugden A21 
  • Hey! Another Class A fan.

Are we becoming Class A Corner? :-)

• A Class corner maybe.