Your thoughts on a Burning Amp-type event here in the UK

edited October 2012 in DIY
My post the other day has brought some interest in running such an event here in the UK.

This thread is to start some discussion about what the event should be about, venues, speakers and so on. 

Please chip in. And please tell the other forums about this discussion.

The US event website is here

Comments

• You've all gone quiet, after all that enthusiasm yesterday!

Come on, let's have some thoughts. Here are some from me, while I sit here drinking coffee.

I'm sure Colin will want to talk. Who else would you like to hear from?

Should we restrict the event to amps? 

Should it be part amplifier 'hack day' (to borrow an idea from the geek world), where we actually try to build something?
  • Sorry dude, haven't had time read the original link yet! I will, I promise. The idea is very appealing to me, but I cannot promise to be available to commit much to it. Boring, eh?
  • edited October 2012
    You can make lots of noise round the other forums as you visit them.

Situation normal, then? :-O
  • Noize I can do.
    :-@
  • The King of da Noize u iz  :-c
  • edited October 2012
    Good idea, and thanks for the link. Some good videos there.
    I'm always up for hearing Doug Self (aka God) but other interesting speakers would be Alan Sircom and Martin Colloms. The former for his views on the industry, trends and where we might be heading, the latter as Martin has been around for donkeys years and worked as design consultant to many companies over the years.

I guess it could have a DIY build theme. Based around a few rooms containing bits of home brew kit from various attendees.

Rob

I'll flag the idea on a couple of other forums and on our site.

<edit> threads now on pfm and at our place:

• I'd be very interested in attending.
    Not hugely keen on organising it though. Those things take up more time to do well than I currently have. Perhaps could take a minor role.
  • Good idea, and thanks for the link. Some good videos there.
    I'm always up for hearing Doug Self (aka God) but other interesting speakers would be Alan Sircom and Martin Colloms. The former for his views on the industry, trends and where we might be heading, the latter as Martin has been around for donkeys years and worked as design consultant to many companies over the years.

I guess it could have a DIY build theme. Based around a few rooms containing bits of home brew kit from various attendees.

Rob

I'll flag the idea on a couple of other forums and on our site.

<edit> threads now on pfm and at our place:

Not so Keen on DS have tidied quite a bit of his work up and he can be very insulting and rude, Martin, Alan,Mike Creek Glen Croft, Stan the Man yes and even Mr Dyson.
  • Yep on the worry about time. We'd need to find a way of sharing the burden.

Thanks for the posting, Rob.

I think we shouldn't be too hung up about this being a Hifi show - a Scalford with soldering irons. Instead, I see it as a niche conference or Barcamp-type event (Google it!).
  • Sounds good TQ would like to get involved also. see PM
  • Thanks. Have done. See reply.
  • OK cool, I wonder if Joanna would come mmmmmm
  • I likes a good Joanna does I!

• She is reading to me now "Going Postal"

• Not so Keen on DS have tidied quite a bit of his work up and he can be very insulting and rude, Martin, Alan,Mike Creek Glen Croft, Stan the Man yes and even Mr Dyson.
    DS is certainly plain speaking but usually right IME.
  • OK cool, I wonder if Joanna would come mmmmmm
    She can open the event.
  • edited November 2012
    I think it would be good to include as many 'forum personalities' as possible, whether pros.semi pros or knowledgeable enthusiasts. The more open the event the better, and the broader appeal it will have; even on this small forum we have some amazing knowledge and even better - the willingness and grace to share it freely.
  • edited November 2012
    OK.

Let me start to summarise where we are:

1) This is to be a conference not a hi-fi show
    2) Audio Chews is providing the platform for developing the event
    3) TQ's directors have the expertise to arrange and run it and are happy to do so
    4) Colin is very keen to supply some of the technical expertise and is happy to design an amplifier that attendees will be able to build at the event
    5) We want to involve industry experts and forum personalities

Please contribute your views here.
  • Good work Dave.
    Would be good to have Rob Holt and more industry bods of as many types as possible to make the event as appealing and credible as possible.
    Pleasing that TQ have already got behind it. Nice one fellas.
    I look forward to seeing this one grow. I would be happy to make the tea.
  • Yep I am only bringing biscuits and Star Trek movie. >:)
  • And a fab new amp to build.

But we'll settle for the Choco Leibnizes :-)
  • Make it so!

I'll be in my ready room.
  • edited November 2012
    Yep I am only bringing biscuits and Star Trek movie. >:)
    Perhaps we could make a Star Trek movie ;)

Rob
  • Bring your lappy and your mobile phone and we can do that, yeah!
  • Yep I am only bringing biscuits and Star Trek movie. >:)
    Perhaps we could make a Star Trek movie ;)

Rob
    I with Rob cool.
    (not a piano)
  • Bear in mind this (below) kind of thing goes on every six months, approx. Anyone welcome to drop in, if you pay yer tenner :
    http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4407
    http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3972
    http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3630
  • Perhaps I come over and learn something, Brain_Dead, my mentor :-)
  • After watching Docfosters movie the thought of burning amps feels be me with dread, worse than burning books.