The best amplifier ever to come out of Britain?

edited November 2012 in Amplifiers
In my opinion the Albarry M608 Mono-bloc amplifiers are a beautiful combination of speed, articulation and musical dexterity, giving a sonically pictorial image of spacial harmony, to boot, incredible value for money.
However, we now have the Flagship M1108's, whilst almost twice the power of the M608's, they are much more, I had these at home for a week and at the end I did not want to give them back.
The easiest way to explain my experience, is that there was just more of Everything!!
I have been involved in the HiFi trade one way or another for decades and the M1108's are the best power amps I've ever heard.
I hope some of you get to hear them at a dealer or a HiFi show.

Just my observation.

regards  Al

Comments

• I had a lovely pair of M608 IIs back in the day. I'd like to hear the M1108s sometime.
  • edited November 2012
    Hi Mr Uglymusic, 

With respect , I think you are referring to the M408's from the 1980's, which I still have and I'm selling at present

The M408's were the original 40 watt into 8 Ohm version, the M608's were launched in 2010/11 and are 60 watts into 8 Ohms.
    The M1108's are the new Albarry Flagship amplifiers and are 110 watts into 8 Ohms. Stunning!!!!!

regards  Al
  • Oh yes. My bad.
  • Al - two words:

Audio Stoat.

Search the forum (I'm on a phone so cant link a picture)
  • Hi Alan,
    Can't compete with that, lol

regards  Al
  • Yeah, I hear Colin is desperate to track an Audio Stoat down as a benchmark against his latest designs :-D
  • Al,

I liked the old Albarry Amps but I am very biases I think the 100W and 50W TOCA SECA I did were the best.
    O:-)

Col
  • You are biased :-)
  • I Knew I was setting myself up for a comeback there :-)
  • :-\" It is the only way to go for music oh A Class amps are not digital biased, they love all music even piano. O:-)
  • :-\" It is the only way to go for music oh A Class amps are not digital biased, they love all music even piano. O:-)
    +1 with bells on  :D

...especially when huge great room heating radio transmission valves running single ended are involved 
    :x
  • edited November 2012
    ...Great for heating the nursing home...

Actually, I love the ones I heard recently. Changed my opinions quite a bit, did they! And all good amps love piano!
    +1 with bells on  :D

...especially when huge great room heating radio transmission valves running single ended are involved 
    :x
    TH250 tube yes please 150KV Anode heater 5V @ 20A Anode current 1A  I have two but cant  get a volunteer to switch them on. I cant I have to monitor the test equipment in the other building.
  • edited November 2012
    ...Great for heating the nursing home...

Actually, I love the ones I heard recently. Changed my opinions quite a bit, did they! And all good amps love piano!
    That what I said Alan but Nic still will not switch them on. I am going to to my bit and monitor the test equipment I said, he said "freack off" in the Irish accent he has, I just did not get it. 
    Will switch it on for me Alan?
  • Only if you supply a very long stick! We can discuss 'danger money' later...  ;)
  • Also a fan of colin's work, will make do with his 20watter. :). Even nicer now winter is coming.
  • It a Hand warmer I told you that it is not just for music, you can keep tea warm, and feet.
  • Sorry Brain dead,

I've not heard of 100W and 50W Toca Seca, are they valve amps? is Toca Seca a brand name?
    you talk of them in the past tense are they an old model you once built?

Have you ever heard any Albarry amps?

regards  Al
  • Hi Al, 
    Yes circa 1990 the whole range was 20W,50W,100W,200W,300W all Single Ended Class A or SECA for short.
    The 300W to the 50W where Mono the 300W took 1.5KW to run and at 180KGs was burglar proof 1.8M high.
    Monsters and over kill, they were made for a show at the Penta to prove the UK could make nice big amps.
    There is a few photo's about.
    Try here 

Best Col
  • The Atoms make more sense :-)
  • How many 50 watters were made colin.
  • Hi Col,

Wow!!, if you're going to have an amp have a big one eh!  must have been hell to move about for shows etc.

Have you ever heard any Albarry amps pre, or power?

enjoy your music regards  Al
  • Yes I liked the Albarry Amps, Yes when the 300W were turn on the inrush was so high it took all the electric out in the Hotel.
    There was only 1 set of the 50,100,200,300 but there is about 20 of the 20W and there is 2 A class pre-amp somewhere.
    The 50W Paul Quick has heard it lives in Somerset
    The 100W and the 200W went to Germany
    And some very strong Japaneses has the 300W
    There were heavy and we had top of the range ProAc speaker the they cost £15K plus other bit and we had the York Theater in the Hotel plus 2 other rooms, it cost a fortune to do for 4 days over £100K 
    But they were the biggest SECA`s ever and UK made in Somerset.
  • The last time I posted on this I was selling the Albarry M408's, well they sold.

In fact I sold almost everything in order to stand by my word and buy new Albarry kit.

I bought the AP11 upgraded pre-amp and a pair of M1108 Mono-blocs to add to the MCA11 phono stage I already had.
    I am delighted with the articulate musical performance I am now getting from my system, jeepers those 1108's are fast.
    My next move is to buy a Lyra Delos cartridge.
    enjoy your music

regards  Al

• I'm glad you're enjoying them Al. 

I loved my Albarrys.