Squeezing a bit more life out of my MacBook

edited November 2012 in Digital
My venerable White MacBook, tweaked though it is, is gradually slipping towards retirement.

But, last week, I managed to extend its useful life again. I bought a Belkin laptop cooling doo-dah - basically an angled support with a fan in the middle of it. Something like this, but for smaller laptops

The main problem with the MacBook is its cooling fan sounding like a helicopter. With the new fan in place and smcFanControl dialling the lappy's fan to the lowest speed it can, things are much quieter - not silent, but easily lost in music at a lower listening level than before. And the lappy runs cooler than before, too.

Comments

• That's good, Dave, well done. I used SMC too this week, but was disappointed I can't reduce the fan speed beneath Apple's recommended levels.

After several tweaking sessions, I had my mini playing 24/192 music and streaming full screen HD over internet, at minimum fan speed (1500 rpm). I need to complete the move to passive cooling, somehow. (I'll do a thread when the PS arrives and I have something like a full package to describe).
  • That's better than I can get out of my MacBook.