Floods

PACPAC
edited November 2012 in Other stuff
Anyone else affected by the floods?

Bit concerned for Ben...haven't heard how Gloucester faired when the river was meant to have peaked this morning.

Comments

• Thanks for your concern paul.
    Ok here.
    Got a warning from the EA yesterday, but looks like they may have just been being cautious.
    Checking the Severn at the end of my road (literally) periodically, and there's at least a metre spare before it comes over, and our house is a few centimetres higher again, so I'm not too worried for my house at the moment.
    The 2007 floods got into our road and came up to my doorstep. Others in the road were flooded out, but we were just high enough to avoid water damage thank goodness. We were affected by the power and water cuts tho'.
    How are things down in dursley...?
  • Glad to hear it Ben.  Yes, I was with BW in 2007 and was working at the Docks during the 2007 floods.  It was also me who had the lock gates from the river fitted with risers and the lock bagged off in 2003/4 flooding which came higher even than the 2007 floods as far as peak levels went (river was within 300mm of overtopping into the docks/canal putting the level as 8.65mAOD))...in my days as Engineering Manager there.

Good to learn you're ok though and it does look as though levels will subside now so we can uncross everything!

I didn't fare as well.  Bottom half of property was flooded out and some landscaping we did last year was wiped out.  Got water into the garden but luckily not into the house.  Moving out so soon after surgery didn't do me any good.  Back in hospital earlier today where they told me I'd torn something and set back recovery by a few months, so under strict orders now not to lift, twist or exercise for 3 months.  Can still lift a pint though!  Whisky glass lifting is pretty easy too :D
  • Good work with the docks sir.
    Sorry to read the details of your garden flooding. Good that the house remains dry.
  • It doesn't rain... you know the the rest. :-w

Take it easy Paul, I hope you remember some of the recuperation period! You don't strike me as someone who finds it very easy to stop. Rather like someone else on Chews..
  • Yeah. Take it easy, Paul.