TQ Iridium vs Iridium Mono

edited December 2012 in Amplifiers
I love the Iridium, have anyone experience of the monos and differences, except power off course ??

Comments

• I have a feeling only Colin can answer that one. I certainly haven't heard them. Nor the Iridium, for that matter.
  • Well, I guess so, but I can recommending try Iridium, a very nice amp, one the best I have heard

• What speakers would you recommend with the Iridium?
  • Mono Iridium`s are 8 Ohm 200W, 4Ohms 400W, flooded homes guggle guggle splash
  • Most speakers with normal- to easy -drive, I have great results in shop with Harbeth 5.among several others. Royd is perhaps not the best option, specially not RR1 or RR3. -But at home it could´nt handle my Kharmas with 87,5dB i 8 Ohm, I also have a prepared room that takes power...That´s my problem, I really would like the Iridium at home too..so the monos would be an option, at a price off course, so, is it worth it?? That is accually my question I would discuss here. In the best of worlds it would have been nice to test the monos at home, the there is a money-question/problem that makes it more complicated...

• You are joking col??

• Anyway, I think Iridium Monos with twice the effect of the Iridium would the amps of the amps, it is just hard to believe it could be even better...
  • Sorry to say yes it can but it cost lots more, whoops.
  • As it should, if it is better, quality cost, we all know that, period....So now it is just to find founds for the purchase,,,,It will take a week or two...:-)

• Sell the Rolls Royce you only use it at weekend anyway =))
  • Why is it you want everyone to sell their wheels?

Are we all supposed to be like you and go by boat? :-)
  • My Merc is a very good friend of mine, can´t sell her, it would break my heart!!!:)

• edited December 2012
    Boats are good cars pollute, besides I can use my boat engine.
    A Broken heart makes you strong SELL THE MERC and be strong  
    >:)
  • Wel, to afford your monos, I guess I have to, but wife will not be happy next summer when we don´t have a car to drive her caravan (house-trailer). On the other hand, I can be home listen to music instead,,,hrm, could do, if you talk to my wife :-)

• Most speakers with normal- to easy -drive, I have great results in shop with Harbeth 5.among several others. Royd is perhaps not the best option, specially not RR1 or RR3. -But at home it could´nt handle my Kharmas with 87,5dB i 8 Ohm, I also have a prepared room that takes power...That´s my problem, I really would like the Iridium at home too..so the monos would be an option, at a price off course, so, is it worth it?? That is accually my question I would discuss here. In the best of worlds it would have been nice to test the monos at home, the there is a money-question/problem that makes it more complicated...

I wouldn't have thought the Iridium would be happy with the RR3s. They need some welly to really come alive.

I was thinking a nice pair of horns, perhaps. As I've said before, I have a weakness for good horns, but not for tubes.
  • Well, Uglymusic, I am opposite, like tubes (and transistor) but not Horns (or electrostats/magnestats).  But one time, when Alan Sircom was visiting my shop, he tried to learn me about horns and small single-ended tudes. I understand more now, what the fuss is all about. -Horn sounded to me like listen to music thru a telephone or something very nasal...But that´s me, with all my faults !!
  • I like 'Sir Alan, I've learned a lot from him. Mostly his balanced attitude and perspective on all things audio.

Sell the Merc, get an Ovlov. You know it makes sense!  ;)
  • Well, Uglymusic, I am opposite, like tubes (and transistor) but not Horns (or electrostats/magnestats).  But one time, when Alan Sircom was visiting my shop, he tried to learn me about horns and small single-ended tudes. I understand more now, what the fuss is all about. -Horn sounded to me like listen to music thru a telephone or something very nasal...But that´s me, with all my faults !!
    Horns can sound horrible, that's for sure.

I'm not a great fan of electrostatics and such, either.
  • Ovlov costs the same as Merc nowadays, perhaps a Skoda or so....Only you English can afford RR, we pay taxes instead :-) 
  • But we all love the good old Royds...

Nice to hear that you also hear what I hear, why not tubes?? -I agree that there is no goal in itself to use tubes (as many fans of tubes think, like a religion) but I think, or hear, if it is good, it is good, whatever design/technique,,,I don´t care less..

I remember Joe (Akroyd) used a Naim Nait3 at the time, but he also had an Ion amp beside. ( Rotel CD and an Phonosophie Vinyl-player (modifieded Thoréns 2010)...But I gues you know much more about that than I do. 
  • You get RR free when you fiddle your Tax and you living allowance.

:-\"
  • Oh, I must come over and learn, me, my fool,,,,all these years, paying taxes to EU and what do they do?? -You all know that...Viv le Anglais...or how they say !!!!  Rules Britannia...Britannia rules the world!!! 

-Here I come, No more taxes...more RR, jepp!!
  • But we all love the good old Royds...

Nice to hear that you also hear what I hear, why not tubes?? -I agree that there is no goal in itself to use tubes (as many fans of tubes think, like a religion) but I think, or hear, if it is good, it is good, whatever design/technique,,,I don´t care less..

I remember Joe (Akroyd) used a Naim Nait3 at the time, but he also had an Ion amp beside. ( Rotel CD and an Phonosophie Vinyl-player (modifieded Thoréns 2010)...But I gues you know much more about that than I do. 
    Very few have the grunt and grip that makes improvised music sound anything other than painterly ;-)

I like the visceral as well as the pretty.
  • Well, I don´t understand much uglymusic, but my english is also limited, as my mind...:-)

• You don't understand what I'm saying?

If that's it, I can have another go at expressing what I'm trying to say.
  • Lasse, you are not the first person not to understand Uglymusic...  ;)
  • Please be gentle with me... I may behave like Hitler, but I'm a softy at heart ;-)
  • Wonderful...:-)