TQ Ultra Black impressions

edited December 2012 in Other hi-fi gear

I thought I might add something to the already favourable comments in one or two of the other TQ threads, regarding the Ultra Black speaker cables. Thanks to David Brook at MCRU, I've had a pair on loan for about three weeks .

I originally bought a pair of 'Blues' to try , and found them quite interesting, as they were rather better than my existing home-made cables ( 140/40 litz in cotton )  in the bass , with more extension and with a nice focus and 'togetherness' of the mids and bass . So, I loaned some 'Black' and this was significantly better with more low bass and better mid transparency . The top-end was still not quite on a par with the litz, however, despite quite a bit of running in .

So anyway, then I suddenly ended-up with some UB back at the house after our amateur meet in Owston , Doncaster. In the meeting, in good but non-optimal systems we could hear the difference , but back home here it was a lot more obvious . It is clear the UB is really a LOT better than the Black, the treble in particular is really clean and extended with lots of non-aggressive detail and tone , and surprisingly, better than my litz cables. Funnily enough, we noticed this at Owston, when we swapped about 4 cables around on an analogue system. I was in charge of putting the needle down on the test track each time . When I put the UB cables in, and put the needle down on the slightly crackly lead-in grooves of Jeff Beck's 'Blow by Blow' , my friend Nick ( Gorham ) was walking back to his chair and said "the crackles sound better - more tone" . I like products where you can do a quick review !

So anyway, since then it's been a 'new record collection' period . It works brilliantly on most things , particularly well recorded live LPs where it throws a huge wide and deep soundstage , plus you get the big room presence from the extended low-bass. It has the rare ability to have great dynamics and work well on rock, but also there's good tonal colour from bass to HF which allows it to work really well on all the nice folk/singer-songwriter/classical stuff too .There are a few times when I wince on some recordings, this being a product of the extreme transparency , plus the use of a compression driver ( Altec 288-H ) on one channel ( don't ask ! ) which doesn't take any prisoners , but really I can barely find anything to criticise, except that the price is a bit steep for most people - including me !

Unfortunately I'll have to return it soon, but I think there will be UB in my system at some stage in the next year or two - for now I'm likely to fall back to a set of the 'Green' , could be helpful while I get the three-way horn system sorted . 

Comments

• @IslandPink you've been bitten as well!

I've tried Black, Green, Ultra Black and Graphite - still using UB and Graphite in the bi-amped system - and every one of them is worth the money IMO, and give you considerably more as you step up the range. I think you get the real jump with Ultra Black, and then Graphite just re-wrote my expectations for cables.

They're not cheap, but for the improvements they give to a system, I think they're very good value.

I know what you mean about the recordings issue. I'm finding some that I thought were good don't live up to their previous performance. For example, Ornette Coleman's Live at the Golden Circle sounds just like what it is - a mid-60s live recording from a jazz club - but Hugh Hopper's Hopper Tunity Box (that I played yesterday), which has always sounded muddy and closed in, is sounding good for the first time since I first bought it over 30 years ago.

I'm also hearing bits of editing, the acoustic suddenly disappearing at the end of a track, and 'noises off' on some recordings. 
  • Nice review. We need to start reviewing anothe make of hifi soon, this is becoming a love-in!

I have also heard UBs, and would dearly love to get my mits on a set. I suspect that wont happen though, but they were brilliant IMO. Even putting my speakers closer together wont make them doable!
  • It's funny, isn't it? Last year we had loads of posts about the Young DAC and people from all around the world joining in.

Now our enthusiasm for Colin's work (and Colin's presence here) is bringing in new posts about TQ gear.

It didn't happen with Lightspeed/Eva/LDR so much, and if Jim was still amongst us, I guess we'd be talking about DIY speakers more.
  • Nice though thank you! 
  • Nice review Mark, most of the forums I frequent (I am an addicted audiophile that sells cables, it helps to be obsessed with the busines you are in IMO) have people who rave about the cables and then the minority who like to trash any product that appears to be the "latest fad", most of them have never heard the cables and those that have don't comprehend what the cables are doing and dismiss them as poor. They have to be burnt in for 40 hours min. maybe even up to 100 hours, after that well we all know don't we, superlatives don't do the cable justice. A customer came over to my house last week from 20 miles away and took some blues away, he came back today for the matching i/c's, even his wife remarked how good the music sounds, now that is a result in anybody's book! 

Mark is keeping the UB's after a long chat with me just today, nice when something works out well for all concerned. 
    :)
  • Funny you should say that. My wife has liked the Ultra Blacks, Graphites and the TQ amps.

Previous additions to my hi-fi had produced lukewarm responses.

@IslandPink. I'm glad you got the UBs. I bet you're a very happy boy :-)
  • Reading all these glowing reports on blacks and ultra blacks makes me want to try them all the more. Unfortunatly i emailed one or two dealers , no reply ......
  • I'm sure Colin can point you in the direction of a dealer. Where are you, Chris?
  • LOUGHBOROUGH, CHAP
    CHRIS 
  • Ah. Yeah, I remember. But Colin possibly doesn't ;-)
  • I'm glad you got the UBs. I bet you're a very happy boy :-)
    I shall be a happy and frugal boy for the next few weeks !

• Uglymusic, what differences did you experienced between UB and Graphite ??

• More.

More bass extension, more focus, more realism, more stereo image, more control...
  • Ok, I think so too, not different, just more of everything good i UB.
  • The old Green was the only one that was different, IMO, but I believe that has been updated so it fits in with the rest of the range.
  • I do not now which version I have, but my Green really sticks away from the rest, personally I think UB is the best performance for the money and Black is the best budget-cable in history. But offcourse Graphite is better in absolute terms of performance, but I think the Graphite signalcable is the pearl in that line. So in my world I use Graphite signalcable + UB loudspeakercable, for best value vs performance. 

This is my findings so far....they are all good, cables (except Green, but I must have an old version) and for the money asked, I think they are excellent. 

I have not tried the new Blue power-cord, I would guess it suites me better then the Black, that I find is a little bit soft, or on the warm side of neutral if you want. I also think it is to expensive for the money asked, hope to get hold of a Blue in near future, to test.

They are all my favorite-cables in this price-range anyway, works in almost any system, budget or high-end.
  • I think I would be very interested in one of the power cords. Also, any idea what the shortest interconnect cable lengths are?
  • 1m is "standard", perhaps shorter is possible, but best check, many cables perform worse with shorter lengths.

• I will check Lasse, thanks.

I have never heard of a cable not performing at it's best at a shorter length (except for an S/PDIF cable). Why do you suppose that is?
  • In Nordost-world, it is so, dramatically..