Air pumps

JimJim
edited January 2011 in DIY
Any fish keepers here?

I ordered a fish tank pump for my Terminator T2 air bearing arm.  It promised ultra quiet operation - yeah right!  It was loud outside the room FFS.

I have no idea about these at all and all research I've done pointed me to the one I bought; an Interpet Airvolution AV2.

I've boxed up the one Vic sent with the arm and it has made a difference but it's still too noisy for me.  I'd rather not have to build a damped box the size of a small fridge if I can help it.  I'd rather just buy a quiet one if they exist.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Maybe it's faulty? I don't know anything about fish tank pumps either.
  • I thought that.  When I contacted the seller and said this ultra quiet pump makes a lot of noise she said, well er yes they all do.

Go figure eh!
  • Trades Descriptions Act, anyone?
  • Just had a lovely stroll along the beach in the sun!

I just asked for a refund - seemed the easist way.  I'll try harder to quieten the one I've got
  • My Dad used to run a shop selling this kind gear. We had - just at home - three Koi ponds, the largest two were 3000 & 1,500 gallons...we always used airpumps in the holding tanks and the filters, sometimes big pro ones, and they were always a bit noisy. To be fair, some were better than others.

I'll see Dad within a week I expect - I'll ask him what he suggests. He may even have some old stock somewhere - no promises though!

We often made beds out of polystyrene to damp them, enclosing them with more polystyrene perhaps in a tupperware box I seem to remember. Have fun!
  • That'd be useful Alan, cheers.  It seems that "fish people" have a different idea of quiet that HiFi people from the research I've done.
  • Well, Dad likes HiFi too, but that doesn't mean there will be a solution. He runs NAD & B&W after all....
  • I have a friend running a DIY terminator & he wasn't happy with his last pump but now has found a model that is completely silent - I'll ask him the make/model. Are you UK based? 
  • Yup, UK.  On the south coast.  That'd be good to know.

Although I've think I've cracked it with a different box.
  • edited February 2011
    Here's the info:
    Interpet av4 airvolution aquarium air pump.€45.99 for it.
    You can probably get it cheaper in UK (this is Ireland price) http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-21715-interpet-aquarium-air-pump-airvolution-av4.aspx
    It is very quiet!

Jim, I meant to ask, how do you find the Terminator II arm - my friend's DIT version sounds great?
  • Thanks for that.  Is it really quiet?  I ask because the one I bought and returned was an Interpet AV2.  This was sold as ultra quiet - it drowned out the hoover almost!  Does your friend keep it in the same room?  Has he had to box it up?

I find the T2 to be the best I've ever had by a fair way.  Better than any pivoted arm I've owned.
  • Jim - I forgot to get back to you! So sorry!

:">

Dad told me about an unusual type of pump that looks like a nodding donkey - if you follow. He couldn't remember what it was called and they were expensive, but totally silent. He never sold them, but used to see them advertised in the back of mags. A google has failed to find out any more.

The better suggestion he came up with was to locate the pump outside your listening room. You need only drill a small hole for the air line, whether in the wall or through a window frame if you put it in the shed or something. You lose a little air pressure doing this but it is the comprehensive solution.
  • Thanks Alan.  I may have cracked it.  I've made a large layered box and lined it with lead!

I may try it this weekend, we'll see.
  • That ought to do the job, and stop superman seeing in there! So long as it doesn't overheat in there & can get enough air.
    I don't know how new your pump is but replace your pump's diaphragms from time to time - this will also keep the noise & heat down.
  • Yeah don't want that nosey bugger having a shufty !

The air flow is a concern but there are two holes; one for the mains lead and the other for the air hose.  I've been assured they will allow enough air to flow.

• Why not just buy one of those submersible pumps and keep it submerged- that should do for the noise!
  • You mean the type that draws the water through the gravel filter & matrix at the bottom, sucking air in at the top as the water returns? They make some nose as the air is sucked into the inlet, particularly if there is a decent volume going through.
  • Why not just buy one of those submersible pumps and keep it submerged- that should do for the noise!

Excellent!!

I could start keeping fish as well.

:-))
  • Got it sorted.  Tried my Superman-proof box.  Quiet as I'll get it I think. 

Just need to get the Terminator moved over to the Garrard now.
  • Great Jim,
    I never got back to you, sorry - I mustn't have email notifications turned on. To answer your question belatedly - the pump is very quiet & he keeps it in the same room as the TT but it's in a box - the solution you have settle don too. 

BTW, do you like the Terminator? I'm thinking of getting a Technics SL1200 DD turntable & asking my friend to make me a version of the Terminator arm - my stash of vinyl needs an outing
  • i know this is an old thread but i thought i would share a tip on pumps from my days keeping fish, thee quietest pump was always the Tetra Whisper , they have adjustable armatures too , when the diaphram goes soft through use the armature can start knocking on the end stop , a small adjustment and they go back to silent, i had a six foot tank along the head of my bed when i was a teen and couldn't hear the 2 whisper pumps that were 2 feet from my ear , its worth putting the pump on a house brick as they can vibrate enough to turn anything they sit on into a soundboard ,
    all the best,
    matt