How to convert USB to SPDIF

edited December 2012 in Digital
Hi Chaps

I have just taken delivery of a cheap ebay DAC to play around with, and just realised that it only has a SPDIF in socket.
My question is what's the best way to convert USB to SPDIF, is it using a Hiface, or is there another way, I really don't want to spend much money, 

Cheers

Comments

• A HiFace can be got cheaply, so if cheapness is the priority, go for it. It works. I had one back in the day.
  • Thanks mate, cheapness is the priority for now, if the DAC ends up better than expected then a better/more expensive solution may be i=on the cards.
  • The best thing is to try before you buy: they make quite a difference. HiFi World ran a group test of them last year. If you wanted to borrow a few for comparison on a free home loan, give me a bell.

If you just wanted to dip a toe in the water and buy one, the SMSL converter is half the price of the Hiface.
  • Thanks Item, really helpful, Ill PM you my details
  • That's a really good result James, I hope you find something good.

There are some cheapies on ebay for peanuts, but I don't remember what they are. I THINK beringer might do one also?

then, you can look at Audiophileos, Halides and Offramps, ranging from a couple of hundred to nearly a grand...oh, and the Berkely, of course!
  • James - This is the cheap Beringer I mentioned. HTH.