young ps

edited December 2012 in Digital
Hi all,

I was going to move on my young having parted with the diy teddyreg ps. in hindsight i have now decided to keep it due to distinct lack of interest and actually coming to my senses. Right outboard supplies, has anyone tried the teddy pardo, paul hynes, avondale and the palmer and come to a definitive conclusion. Also i saw the mcru ps which is priced very keenly and seems a sensible idea splitting the regulation into to units.
i know this is old stuff but comments would be appreciated.

chris

Comments

• Hi Chris

It's a bad time to sell anything at the moment. Also, the Young now suffers from not being new enough to be exciting, nor mature enough to just be well regarded.

The Avondale PS is basically the same as the one Simon Clarke (sq225917) made for Dave & myself, but with a slightly better regulator (ours uses the Supper teddy reg).

Teddy Pardo makes PSUs for Naim, so I am quite sure he knows what he is doing. Similarly, no-one has a reputation as fine as Paul Hynes when it comes to power supplies, so another safe pair of hands there.

I should think the MCRU units is very good, no reason why it shouldn't offer the same benefits of all of the others. The Young's potential is actually limited by internal switch-mode regulators, as I understand it, so maybe the benefits of a really super PSU would be masked by this - who's to know? Certainly not me, but it's something else to consider.

The Palmer power station is probably going to be the best solution all round, sonically and aesthetically. It's also the dearest. If I were going to through another £750 at my DAC I'd likely sell the Young and try a different DAC altogether. Life's too short...(So are the funds).

Don't be put off by this Chris, I have to say the power supply upgrade turns a perfectly competent DAC into a vivacious one. It was a worthwhile upgrade IMO.
  • Chris
    I cant answer your question as I've not compared the power supplies you listed. I did have the same decision to make last month and ended up with the Teddy Pardo and I'm delighted I made the purchase.
    To complicate matters however, I hooked the PSU up to the Young dac in the same week ITunes and Audirvana released their latest software so I'm not certain what benefits can be attributed to Teddy.
    I went for the Teddy Pardo simply because they seem to hold a decent second hand value and are always snapped up fairly quickly.
    Jim

• My PSU comes with a 30 day return period but no one ever sends them back!
  • Thanks for that Dave, I think I may give it go in the new year. Your supply is it transformer and regs in the other box. Just out of interest what type of regs?

Chris
  • M2Tech make their own power supply for the Young, the 'Palmer' it is dual linear regulated and lithium Ion supply.
    Keith.
  • I didn't try all the options, but I've been using the Avondale PS with my Young for a year or so now. Definitely a step up in quality over the supplied PS. Better, smoother top end & nicer soundstage. I think it's good VFM & I've been a fan of Avondale gear for quite a time.
    Matt.
  • Cheers Matt,

Avondale good solid gear with great sound. I owned a grad1 and m130's in a single case. Les is winding it down though, I'm led to believe.

Chris
  • Hi Chris
    Not sure whether Les is winding it down, as you say, or handing the reigns over to someone else.
    Grad1 & M130's is a stunning set up. 
    Although I've gone all Valvey now, I hope there is always stuff like this about, it really does take a lot of beating. The Avondale Rev speakers were ridiculously good as well.
    Matt.
  • Yes your right there. I use one of colin's amps now but hold the avondale stuff in high regard. Previous to les's amps I had a dynavector l300 and power amp. No contest in vfm AVONDALE.