Confused :-/

PACPAC
edited December 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
Just bought a new album on LP (that's a black thing a bit like a large drinks coaster Dave, which has music imprinted on it by evil druid folk ;)   ).  It's the Rolling Stones "Get Yer Ya-Ya's out!"  one of my favourite ever album titles just as a pub conversation piece:

Girl-friend of my wife's at the pub to me:

"have you bought any music lately Paul?"

Me:

"Yes. get yer ya ya's out"

Well, anyway, the front cover is amusing for more than just its title. It proudly proclaims "The Rolling Stones DSD re-mastered (sic-for vinyl) The way they were meant to be heard"

Now call me a cynic...

they take the original analogue master tape...they go to the trouble of digitally remastering it for high dynamic range, stereo, and re-do the individual mic-levels as they were advised the music sounded like from a few rows back...proudly proclaim that digital has one out the day and saved us from the evil druids, then go and stamp it onto err, a piece of vinyl?  What's wrong with CD?  (they probably do that too in fairness)

Not complaining mind as it sounds superb!

Comments

• Hmmm...
    So what does 'DSD remastering' mean?
    Is it from the original studio master tapes...?
  • Record companies...
  • DSD = "Direct Stream Digital" which is meant to produce the very best LP pressings sonics wise. It is certainly VERY good and imports of these were limited so worth searching them out on SACD/LP.