Redbook or higher quality music downloads

edited January 2011 in Digital
Where are you getting your Redbook or higher res (preferably higher!) from? 

I don't mean those heinous 'audiophile' albums. I mean real music (whatever that means to you).

I'll kick off the list with some sites I've found:

HD tracks - up to 24/96 real music; 24/192 crap

Greenleaf Music - trumpeter Dave Douglas' label, plus albums of Cryptogramophone. 16/44.1 FLACs

Gimell - renaissance vocal music etc. Up to 24/96 in stereo and 5.1

Comments

• I haven't used them yet, but this site was mentioned on CA recently - looks like a nicely out together site:

http://www.highresaudio.com/
  • I don't much download.  However I have taken the odd album from HD tracks.  I also enjoyed the Dubmission free download.
  • Thank you Andy. I thought I'd bookmarked that, but I hadn't. Wait around long enough and the bus comes along... :-)
  • I haven't used them yet, but this site was mentioned on CA recently - looks like a nicely out together site:

http://www.highresaudio.com/
    When I started exploring the site, a few days ago, I found it suddenly switched back to German. Hopefully, that's not typical and they'll get the links sorted.

I also suspect that the downloads are a bit more expensive than HDtracks - must check exchange rates.

All that said, it does look good.
  • Someone at the Scalford Show (Gromit/Richard I think) put me onto this site.  There's a stack of very high res music that may be of interest to some.  Beware, some tracks are >1GB  :-D :-D
  • Thanks for that Andy, I'd seen it but forgotten to bookmark it.
  • You are most welcome Dave.
  • How was Scalford?
  • Dave, Excellent, really very good.  Lots of surprises, some very nicely sorted systems indeed notable amongst these were:
    Gromit/Richard's Mac/Dac into Royd Merlins
    take5/Brian's Voyd/SME into Snell type K
    JANDL100/Jerry's choice of source into Tannoy 12" Gold
    Paul55/Paul Laptop/Buffalo DAC into ATC SCM50ASL (drooooool, these just stuck a hook into my soul and the scar is still there!)
    Meninblack/John's Laptop/DAC into tiny Tannoy Autograph Minis...sparkly magical treble.

There were some notably poor sounding systems, but in non-ideal rooms etc etc I do not feel it gentlemanly to identify.

I'm certainly going next year and will ask for a room for folks to throw rotten veg at my very humble system 
    :-((
  • Sounds good. Must get there next year.

You liked the ATCs then? ;-)

What's humble about your system?
  • Well compared to an 8 grand speaker, most of my possessions are rather humble  :-D
  • Yeah. Well mine are a £550 secondhand buy that I have no plans on swapping for the moment.

Who cares what the other guy's system costs?
  • No i don't care Dave, it was just a fabulous sounding set up...and a lovely DIY DAC :-)
  • edited March 2011
    A DIY DAC? How so?

• yes...it's a cracker...I was going to build one but along came Young
  • Back on topic.

This page of links (linked to from the M2Tech site) looks interesting. I haven't worked through them yet.
  • This looks interesting. Good prices on Redbook FLAC downloads, and also some 24/96 material - maybe an alternative to HDtracks for some music. Also some albums that have been deleted on CD - eg Atomic's BikiniTapes.

• Thanks for the link - I've bookmarked it for later.