New Amps Landed

edited February 2013 in Amplifiers
Hopefully links will work now
Been waiting for these for a while now and they turned up today - Great service from Audio Emotion by the way!!!
They are Valve Tube Logic 100 Monoblocs using 4 El34s per amp. Initial impressions are very positive but much more listening needs to be done.
Very ballsy and do bass very well.

and here's the pre.

If no one minds i'll do an ongoing review on  Chews and another forum too.

Comments

• No pics, nice amps shame about the man being rude and insensitive.

• Links don't...link
  • edited January 2013
    Hopefully links now work!
  • No pics, nice amps shame about the man being rude and insensitive.

Goes with the territory? ;-)
  • edited February 2013
    Pic links fixt. Looks great Stu, a kind of brutal charm to them. I like!

I also thoroughly approve of your modular audiophile system support rack. In other words, nice rack! :D

So, what do they do with the music then?

Col, I second what Dave said. Must be getting used to it by now?
  • Can I help you with preparing some more of those equipment racks?  :-$
  • Well, my woodwork skills are not what they could be so drink seemed the only option. You are of course welcome to help build a new module sometime :-)
  • The finest in DIY, I'd say :-)
  • I need at least one of those crates before I start DIY. Catch 22.  <):)
  • Well sadly we're on the wagon as of today for a few months.
    aqmps are proving to be quite popular in the house at the moment. Very addictive to listen to  - listened to Pink Floyd the Wall last night and it was breathtaking...though this could of course be the early flush of romance :-)
  • Glad to hear your happy.

I've been a solid state man all my life but I'm seriously thinking of batting for the other side. How much did these cost you?
  • The trouble is the cost could fill a vacuum at least with SS you get some grit.
    I had some Radfords many years ago which were cleaned and loved everyday, I also had a very clumsy wife, who seemed to be  always aimed at glass.
    If it was glass it was dead, she managed to drop onto a high shelf a large Hover which killed the tubes dead the first time, the second time she moved to dust. The third the dog she was walking jumped up and knocked her over. This knocked a amp of which destroyed my tone arm a cartridge, she was a house proud woman and did clean the mess up before I got home. So the secret is live alone with tube amps. 
  • Glad to hear your happy.

I've been a solid state man all my life but I'm seriously thinking of batting for the other side. How much did these cost you?
    These were just shy of a grand but of course you need a pre too. YOu can get used valve amps for much less than this if you shop around. My first foray was a TAC 300B integrated amp which I got for about 700 quid or so. It's a cracker and will not be going anywhere soon - it's the one you can see in the background.
    The new amps kick out 100 watts and so there's plenty of power (in fact the pre hardly goes past 9 oclock  -the amps are v sensitive) which isn't needed as my speaks are 95db but it is nice to have that extra welly in the bass!
    These  Audions look a good deal if a little scruffy for 400 quid BIN and there's no valves on show to break. In fact if I had the dosh I'd have these.
    Or even this

Don't be worried about people knocking your amps down and breaking them even if valves are on show - just put them out of reach or do like I do and scream if anyone goes near them :-). We had a horde of teenagers have an overnight party a couple of weeks ago (we went away for the evening) and I didn't worry about the amps at all. I find a " touch any of that and I will string you up" works very well indeed.

• PACPAC
    edited February 2013
    Very nice Stu.  Does this mean that the audio stoat is now out of the system?  You told me that it was "a keeper" ...still, bet the part ex made your current amps cheap!

I've experimented with going back to SS, and whilst with some loudspeakers it works very well, with others it kills the emotion and dynamics for me (I have 5 pairs of speakers knocking about!).  Recent acquisition:

• Hi Paul, What speakers have you got knocking about?
  • Lovely looking Monoblocs there, very nice indeed.
  • Hi Paul, What speakers have you got knocking about?
    Hi Brian

I have a pair of Tannoy Turnberry SE's, a newly refurbished pair of Tannoy Mansfields (12 inch HPD units just reconed, new crossovers and cabs raised by 12 inches in home made plinths), an old pair of Wharfedale lintons, a pair of Mission 760is (great little speakers) and a pair of Celestion bookshelf speakers.  Main duties are the Tannoys though.

Lovely looking Monoblocs there, very nice indeed.
    Thanks Sovereign...they're USA made VAC PA60 KT88 monoblocks.  Just secured but not yet picked up.  Also have a Croft pre-amp modded for reduced gain.

Soz for the thread drift Stu but seeing your yummy monos has only made me more impatient to get mine hooked into the system!  
  • Paul - don't tell me that was your Mastersound at the dealers?... All of a month old?  :-O
  • Hi Alan....lovely though it was with lots of material, and deep though the bass went, ultimately, it didn't have the grip and speed low down I wanted.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  Mid range and upper bass were sublime, really good.  Glad I tried it and no doubt it will suit some systems down to the ground.  Extended listening with mine (getting first impressions out of the way) revealed it was a compromise I didn't want to make.  The Mansfields need greater control too with their larger driver size and lower sensitivity, so I hooked up the Luxman for those (intending a second system with that in place) but the 2nd system idea's now out as we'd rather keep the house modelled as-is, so playing with different amps.  Pretty settled now on croft preamplification with the VACs as the best compromise after having a KT88 PP in the system to try.  Luxman is a thing of loveliness and is superb, but doesn't work with the Turnberrys as well as the Mansfields (where it shines).  Its great trying these things.  You learn a lot!