Jriver for Mac

edited February 2013 in Digital
http://www.jriver.com/mac.html

Tho' looks like early adopters may not get the best package... :-/

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I'm interested, in a vaguely disinterested manner... any alternative to iChoons is interesting.

I don't like playing with computers. The trouble is, you have to learn stuff, in order to get the best from them, and I understand JRiver takes a bit of learning and configuration.

I foolishly updated iTunes to v11 in Dec, and it hasn't been 'right' since. The loss of some features, the
    way it searches for things, duplicates appearing in my library after the
    'upgrade', annoyance at the ever increasing size of the program, clunky
    interface with the older Remote app, the way it plays on after an album
    now instead of stopping, random shuffling/missing tracks/playing tracks
    twice...

(To be fair for a moment, there may be ways around most of these minor
    annoyances, but I can't be done with it - it worked before and I'm going
    back to an earlier version)

I run a headless Mac mini, controlled via the Remote app with a 2nd gen
    iTouch (which I daren't update). Mucking about with the thing is a pain I
    can do without, as the whole thing worked flawlessly for months prior
    to iTunes 11.

I should never, ever have updated iTunes. I'm now trying to roll back to an earlier version, and the iPod touch won't communicate properly. Apparently I should perform a factory 'reset', thus losing my apps... though they can be downloaded again for free, the version I would be given is too new for my old iPod, so I may be without a remote for a while.

Apple stuff used to just work...

I will try the JRiver system, when it's out of Beta and there are no 0s or 1s in the release number. Then perhaps, I can enjoy not having to fiddle with HiFi for another year. Humph! :-w
  • edited February 2013
    There are a load of settings on jriver, but all and any can be bi-passed / turned off while you are learning to fiddle. The only one i have on routinely is the multi-channel>2 channel audio for bluray playback.

Tho as you say, best leave the jriver4mac till all the glitches have been ironed out

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with your itunes playback. I never remember any playback issues back in the vinyl-day...
  • I can envisage getting just as stuck with some of the intricacies of vinyl playback.... There's nothing wrong with any of it, it's a question of knowing all that is required. I frequently don't.

iTunes can be rolled back, if anyone else is feeling grumpy and intolerant... some useful details here. You must use the 'Pacifist' program for everything to work, as I have found out. Once it's set up, it generally goes fine with absolutely no maintenance at all. Just don't upgrade, as apple seem to have lost it..

We're now firing on all cylinders again here at chez Brown.
  • Now, that's interesting. They've been threatening a Mac version for so long, I suspected it'd never see the light of day.

I'll give it a go once I can try it for 30 days.

@Alan: I've been getting the duplication of tracks in iTunes, too.