We don't like 'ambient'

edited January 2012 in Other music
This discussion was created from comments split from: Listening to ....

Comments

• :-))

What's the Holroyd like Alan? Never heard of him.
  • The Holroyd record is ambient made with acoustic instruments. It came as part of B&W's society of sound subscription, but like rather a lot of their stuff it hadn't seen the light of day yet! It's impeccably recorded.but to be honest it's not saying anything that interesting. Its more relaxing mood music. If I were in a bad mood I'd say it was boring.
  • The Holroyd record is ambient made with acoustic instruments. It came as part of B&W's society of sound subscription, but like rather a lot of their stuff it hadn't seen the light of day yet! It's impeccably recorded.but to be honest it's not saying anything that interesting. Its more relaxing mood music. If I were in a bad mood I'd say it was boring.
    You tell it like it is Big Al!

Actually, I agree with you.
  • JimJim
    edited January 2012
    I'll avoid it then. Can't stand "ambient"!
  • I'll avoid it then. Can't stand "ambient"!
    I have a recent album of solo bass improvs which are kind of ambient. I'm liking them a lot.
  • I'll avoid it then. Can't stand "ambient"!
    I have a recent album of solo bass improvs which are kind of ambient. I'm liking them a lot.

Sounds interesting.  I mean what is normally meant by ambient - modern day psychedelic, drug addled clap-trap.

Sorry, I really don't like it
    X(
  • What pisses me off is the association of chill-out and quieter forms of electronica with jazz. How can that stuff be jazz?
  • Jazz has always had a serious definition problem.  Some are happy to lump stuff in that doesn't readily fit any other category.

I'm not usually bothered about what something is called - if I like it then great.

You're too quick for me!  I posted this in the listening to thread
    :\">
  • Try finding some of what you recognise as 'jazz' on www.bandcamp.com, as I was the other night, and see how bothered you feel.

Speedy Rosam, they call me. Amongst other things ;-)
  • Meh - I like what I like. Jazz does have a definition problem.

I had a great album called chilled Ibiza a few years ago, lots of Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, Groove Armada, Talvin Singh...

It was always billed as 'jazz' but it was just chill-out pap. Wonderful stuff, but not jazz. Jazz for cofee shops maybe?

Ambient doesn't do it for me, but 'Chill-Out' does, and that does seem to cross into mainstream jazz territory sometimes, but usually in sampled form.
  • Try finding some of what you recognise as 'jazz' on www.bandcamp.com, as I was the other night, and see how bothered you feel.

Speedy Rosam, they call me. Amongst other things ;-)
    Bovvered? Yeh but, no but.  Talk to the hand.

The older I get (that's enough from you Alan!) the less I care.  It's always been difficult to pin-down what Jazz is.  SWMBO would define it by it's time signature.  Many trained musicians would do the same.  Some people would define it by the instruments, i.e. sax and trombone are "classic" Jazz instruments.  Although the guitar began (possibly) as a classical instrument many would now categorise it as a rock/pop instrument.

I don't bloody know!!
  • edited January 2012
    I think that the term 'jazz' is often used as a marketing ploy, to lend credibility / status to an album or genre, or rather to the egos of those who are thinking of buying/listening/associating themselves with it.
    Back in the early 90s 'ambient' to me and my chums meant outfits like speedy j (and pretty much anyone else on the Warp label circa 1992), PWOG, Aphex Twin, Black Dog productions etc.,... Possibly the orb. Basically, quality electronica to get stoned to. We would've disagreed with anyone who had called any of that stuff 'jazz'. But then we were pompous fools. :-D
  • I agree on using 'jazz' as a marketing term. Strange that something so unpopular is so cool.