Young DAC

Comments

• I mean that it is taking time to burn in, when there have been suggestions that the Young is up there almost from the start.

There's always Audirvana, of course. Does that do the Rice Krispies imitation?
  • I mean that it is taking time to burn in, when there have been suggestions that the Young is up there almost from the start.

There's always Audirvana, of course. Does that do the Rice Krispies imitation?
    Maybe I should try it without pouring milk on it?

I may try Audirvana, but I am a bit bored of installing things today...perhaps this evening. It is pretty compelling on much jazz & orchestral stuff - in fact anything that's not to hot.
  • I don't think I'm going to get any 'big system' listening done today  :(

However, the KingRex is playing lots of naas choons (sic) in the office.

See - a new DAC in the big system gives me two upgrades. There's value for ya!
  • Hmmm, I'm getting crackling - and not the tasty, welcome kind - with AyreWave, Audirvana & iTunes!!!

:| I am quite dis-chuffed now.

Still only on hot mixes though. One of Figlet's favourite testers - Michael Buble 'It had  better be tonight' is unlistenable. It sounds alarmingly as if a tweeter is blown! (-it is not, btw.)
  • Weird. I don't know what to suggest.
  • Keith has suggested it's a HiFace problem - possibly clipping into the DAC. I have read of this before, usually from someone selling HiFace mods. One trick is to fit an attenuator, but I'll just wait for the driver. Keith is happy to swap it if the DAC is the problem, but I might actually be sad to see it go, even if only temporarily!

You should email Jason & get his boss to bankroll one for his R&D!
  • I wonder why you're getting the problem and I haven't (yet)?

I think we should just keep it to ourselves. It's too good for anyone else  ;)
  • My re-education is proving rather more extensive than I banked on. I knew nothing...

I guess my audition is going to be easier due to my yoof & naivete!

• edited January 2011
    Mark sent me some fancy pants USB cables to try - I have laugh at the bumpf on the website! One of them (LAT) is in a shiny silver biscuit tin - ooooooooh!! :L

I have a very hard time believing the hype around this sort of thing, even more so the marketing claims - but your one definitely sounded good to me.

It will be interesting to see if the Young will respond in the same way as the King-Rex - apparently Async USB DACs ought to be indifferent as to cables.

I shall resume my mocking if they do not perform, once the driver is completed. Or not.

• Mark sent me some fancy pants USB cables to try - I have laugh at the bumpf on the website! One of them (LAT) is in a shiny silver biscuit tin - ooooooooh!! :L

I have a very hard time believing the hype around this sort of thing, even more so the marketing claims - but your one definitely sounded good to me.

It will be interesting to see if the Young will respond in the same way as the King-Rex - apparently Async USB DACs ought to be indifferent as to cables.

I shall resume my mocking if they do not perform, once the driver is completed. Or not.

My betting is that there will be some audible differences, but not as much as on the KR. I'm always very dubious when someone says something-or-other won't have any effect, just from a theoretical POV.
  • David and Alan hi, Marco sent me drivers for XP,Vista and 7, OSX ( typically )to follow soon!
    Sorry to hear about the crackling, I can easily swap units over, I wonder why you in particular are suffering?
    Very best Keith.
  • David and Alan hi, Marco sent me drivers for XP,Vista and 7, OSX ( typically )to follow soon!
    Sorry to hear about the crackling, I can easily swap units over, I wonder why you in particular are suffering?
    Very best Keith.
    Thanks for the update, Keith.
  • edited January 2011
    Keith - provided the Drivers are forthcoming (say beginning of next week perhaps?) I can happily wait. The Young is really rather good* with most recordings. I hope you were right when you suggested the Hiface output might be the issue - it seems feasible.

If you are happier swapping my unit over give me the word & I'll oblige, but I am happy for now.

*very very large understatement
  • Hi guys , somebody of you tried the passive mod on the beresford caiman dac ?  How it goes with nva kit ?
    tnx , ciao ,
    s.
  • I tried it, doesn't work! It sounded like I had popped my ears, so to speak!

I have an as new Gator board sitting in it's box on the bookshelf right now.
    :-W
  • i ve heard that the gator mod is not very good with nva ... what about combination of the no-mod caiman  with your p90/tss ?
  • It's very good, similar to a DACMagic but different presentation. I may well keep it in the system for the TV or something - it has been my primary source for about two months now.

The Cambridge was equally at home here, but I miss the big old Theta by comparison, even if these two DACs are 'better'. The Young is in a different league altogether frankly - it'd be unfair to make comparisons.

• sorry for my ignorance Alan, but what's the young dac ?
  • edited January 2011

This: M2Tech YOUNG.

• edited January 2011
    tnk u , so is manunta's dac ...sounds good ?
    btw i had a great feedback on these 2 dacs:

hrt streamer (low budget )

and ps audio digital link III 
  • Hey, Alan, where have I seen one of those things?  \:D/
  • Um, I think it was integrated into KITT's dashboard in the mid-eighties...

But considerably higher sample rates are now possible!
    B-)
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Sergio,

Yeah, s'alright, I suppose.

@-)
  • Ushers the Young DAC into the thread...

I can make my Young DAC distort/click with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Californication. I'd say the HiFace is overloading the Young is the correct interpretation.

Come on Marco, get your finger out and get us a fully working product!
  • edited January 2011
    Woo Hoo -you share my misery, pain & suffering!!! 

OK, maybe that's too strong by half - It's not that bad really, only a few albums are affected. Good news really, AFAIAC, it means my DAC is probably fine.

:-
  • It does mean that we really do need that OS X driver. 
  • It does mean that we really do need that OS X driver. 
    Ah - in that case I am sure Marco will pull his finger out...

One question in light of your signature: Ring or Jam?
  • I'm sure Marco will supply a driver at some stage. I just hope he hasn't outsourced it to someone cheap off the Internet.

The writer wasn't specific about the type of doughnut.
  • edited January 2011
    Shame.

I imagine he does the drivers in-house, after all his software is used under license in the W4S DAC II, among others.
  • Fabulous looking thing - whatever it sounds like!
    Sound? Shmound - I just sit & look at it!
    Sounds good, too!
  • edited January 2011
    Well.....well well well....:-?

Notwithstanding the continued clicking issue, on sensibly recorded
    tracks I think I am just about smitten. On the Proviso, that is, that
    this clicking issue can be sorted.

The new software has made an already pretty wonderful DAC sound
    simply epic. To use a reviewer cliché (I know how fond of them
    @Uglymusic is), as soon as I plugged the USB cable in & pressed play
    - Leah said "what have you just done? That is totally different".

I probably won't bother too much with a review - though I hope David
    might. I don't really know how to articulate what my impressions are.
    TBH, I don't really know how to qualify & identify my impressions in
    a sensible way either - it is just 'right' from the off, and
    oxy-moronically, is 'more right' now.

:-/

Keith - @Coops - from Purite is a gent to deal with, surely the
    exception that proves the 'rule of Dunn' when it comes to the trade.
    Ever helpful & concerned, always a phone-call away, he assures me
    that the designer is aware of this clicking problem & is correcting
    it. I am not the only one it seems. So I will get a swapped unit when
    they come in, whenever that is, with no quibbles. He even sent me a new
    HiFace on loan to get me going.

Although it hasn't been the smoothest of experiences thus far, I
    have to say I am happy with YOUNG. The product may be flawed as yet, but
    it's promise will keep me hanging on. The people I have dealt with have
    been fantastic, and I am more enthusiastic about my music then I have
    been for a long while.
  • Alan and David ,I spoke with Marco today ,and we will swop your units for a brand new Youmg as soon as they are ready, a Youmg owner told me today that he prefers it to his Naim CDx2 and matching P/S £6.5k's worth!
    Kind regards Keith.
  • Thanks Keith

Naim? Of course the Young does doo-doos all over it :-)
  • edited January 2011
    Was that Andy Keith? I don't know what CD player he has.

I have just spent a most enjoyable evening with my 'mis-spent youth'....I have discovered that an expensive 'printer cable' might make a difference! - or possibly not. Of two fancy-pants cables plus the stock cable, I actually have an order of preference! I really am bowled over by that, though I think the stock cable isn't very different really. Have you tried the stock cable Dave?

I can't decide if the cables actually sound different to each other, or if I have just enjoyed playing too much this evening. It's fair to say I haven't quite had the time to get really fully familiar with the sound characteristics of the YOUNG yet, and I am chasing shadows with my preferences. I am as yet unwilling to spend out on a boutique USB cable.

For reference, they are a WireWorld & a LAT cabe. both around £85.(!) Maybe I'm going crackers here..

(I seriously edited this post after re-reading it - it looked like I had advocated these cables. I do not, yet - I am trying (probably too hard) to hear the differences and have become terminally procrastinated)
  • Who is Andrew?

I'm using the stock cable in the office, and it hasn't found its way into the main system. Must try that.
  • edited January 2011
    Sorry Dave - very serious edit above!!

Andy is Uzinusa on t'other forums. He contacted me today about crackling on his YOUNG...I invited him along of course.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the cable - I cannot believe a printer cable makes such a difference, and if I hadn't heard it previously at your gaff I would refuse to believe it. I would have thought that a more 'no compromise' design like the M2Tech might be indifferent to USB cables, async in general is supposed to do that.
  • Sorry Dave - very serious edit above!!

Andy is Uzinusa on t'other forums. He contacted me today about crackling on his YOUNG...I invited him along of course.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the cable - I cannot believe a printer cable makes such a difference, and if I hadn't heard it previously at your gaff I would refuse to believe it. I would have thought that a more 'no compromise' design like the M2Tech might be indifferent to USB cables, async in general is supposed to do that.
    I hope Andy pops along.

How is he getting on with the Young? Aside from the clicks, of course.

Async USB is supposed to be unaffected by cables, isn't it? I'll get round to making some comparisons once I've got my software problems sorted, I guess. I think I will throw in a real printer cable as well, just to see if a non-audio cable is worse than the Young's and the £75 one I have.

I hope there is no difference, so the audiophile cable can go back into the office system, where it will make a difference feeding the KingRex.
  • Morning ... first post here.  Thanks for the invite.  I've got breakfast to make but will pop along later and say hello properly. Andy
  • Hi Andy

Welcome to our version of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party
    :-)

Well, it feels like that sometimes 
    :O
  • Andrew Hi, is it you? Very Best,Keith.
  • Yes, Hi Keith, how are you?  I had an email from Marco re the Young Dac and am going to try a few things he suggested and set about it with a Volt-meter this evening.
    Best, Andrew
  • Andrew Hi,well thank you, Marco suggested trying to attenuate the source ,if possible, you can only really try this if you have a preamp, could someone try it, knock down the volume in iTunes or in your software.
    Thanks as always,Keith.
  • Hi Keith. I was going to knock down in 0.5db steps using PureMusic's dithered volume control as it's got to be attenuated before the DAC.  He also suggested I measure the DC offset (should be <10mV) so I'll do this and report back.
    Best, Andrew

PS:  I've whipped up a Super TeddyReg PSU to deliver 15VDC and when all this is sorted out will try that instead of the wallwart.

• PS:  I've whipped up a Super TeddyReg PSU to deliver 15VDC and when all this is sorted out will try that instead of the wallwart.
    This is beyond my capabilities, but I would be very interested in how this pans out.
  • It's actually quite straight-forward Alan. But more importantly, Keith says the HiFace Evo responds well to a decent PSU, and JKenny's mod on the HiFace Classic was all about clean power, so we expect the Young Dac to respond to a cleaner and better 15VDC power supply.  This sort of PSU  a large difference to my old Naim CDP and to my current pre-amp.
  • I am quite convinced you're right, but it's not straight forward to me unfortunately!

:(

Keep us posted please!
  • I've just been speaking with a helpful chap called Ted on CA, he tells me 2L have some 352.8kHz downloads. I'm particularly interested in the Mozart violin concerto - I already have the 192 sampler of this & it's super.

There was apparently a glitch which prevented the YOUNG playing 352.5 - I wonder if the new drivers have cured that?