DAC Upgrade (Part Deux: The American)

edited February 2012 in Digital
Well my affair with the Swiss Weiss was short lived. In its place sits a rather sassy two box American affair that goes by the name of Bel Canto. Bel Canto DAC3.5vb to be precise. The VB stands for virtual battery which is the reason for the second box.

I'll put some pics up in due course. It's only halfway through Bel Canto's recommended 100hr break in period, but the terrific sense of space and soundstage that I heard at Coherent Systems is already present. At the moment the Bel Canto doesn't sound as extended as the Weiss,but it has more weight and authority in the midrange. Tonally it is richer than the Weiss and it also seems to convey dynamic swings more convincingly. I'd say the Weiss offered a fraction more resolution, but I am happy to trade this for the wonderful richness and weight of the Bel Canto.

One other cool thing about the Bel Canto is that it has an analogue bypass input, meaning that I can route the L/R out from my A/V processor on RCA into the Bel Canto then out again on XLR to my speakers - very nifty and saves the need for a switch box.

Comments

• What is a virtual battery, when it's at home? Sounds like a great snippet of American marketing to me :-)

Can't wait for the pix.
  • It's a separate PSU Dave that is meant to deliver the benefits of a battery supply. Here's a link...

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_VBS1_Power_Supply.html

• I envy you the opportunity to compare the Weiss and the Bel Canto, it really sounds like a nice choice. From what you say, I think the Bel Canto would look like my preferred option too.
  • It's a separate PSU Dave that is meant to deliver the benefits of a battery supply. Here's a link...

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_VBS1_Power_Supply.html

so it's a regulated psu that they say has the positive characteristics of a battery supply?
  • Yes. It can supply three separate components, so if I added a Bel Canto Pre for example, then it could also benefit from this supply.

Bel Canto also make a smaller PSU called the LNS. The DAC3.5 can't be run directly off the mains - it needs either the LNS or VB in order to work. The DAC/LNS sounded good when I heard it but the VB was even better - reminded me of when I put the Teddy PSU on my Young.
  • Nice looking gear as far as I can see, too.
  • Just got all excited when I saw the URL www.belcantoforum.com .....not quite what I had in mind :)