Alternative to Royd Doublets.

edited February 2012 in Loudspeakers
Hi Guys,
I currently use a Squeezebox Touch/Chord Optichord Toslink/Rega DAC/Chord Chamelion Silver + ICs/Rega Brio R/Rega Quatto FSC speaker Cable/ Royd Doublets Loudspeakers.
I'm well aware that there is a fan base here for Royd Loudspeakers and I really do appreciate how good they are, but; I'm finding the above setup a little on the bright side for my taste.
I'd been using a pair of Mission 753 Freedoms before and although they weren't perfect; they did exhibit a much fuller sound. So I guess I just want all the benefits of a Royd with a slightly warmer tonal balance if that makes sense.
Any suggestions for addressing this guys; different speaker cable or ICs perhaps; OR if Royds had to go what would you suggest I check out. Something available second-hand preferably.
Thanks in anticipation

Tony

Comments

• Talk to @Brain_Dead about Tellurium Q Green speaker cables (he designed 'em), and @mattlych who uses them.

My own experience of hearing the Greens with a pair of Royds was that the resultant sound was warmer and more substantial, yet nicely detailed.
  • Running Doublets myself and haven't moved on from them yet. However I've heard of others getting on well upgrading to Neat speakers. Perhaps consider the Neat Elite SE or Motive 3's.
  • edited February 2012
    A few big-time Royd fans have gone on to medium/large sized Harbeths and been extremely happy. That seems odd to me given the differing philosophies of the two companies, but there it is.
  • I don't understand that one, either, Alan. Seems bizarre to me.
  • Thanks for the response guys. I would love to try the TQ Green, but, needing 2x5 meters is a bit pricey for me.
    I,ve been tempted to consider Royd RR1,Rega RS3 and there are some ProAc Studio 125 possibly available. Also tempted by NVA LS1 on offer at the moment.
    Any views on this guys

Tony
  • I have never heard your speaker cable I'm afraid, but both TQ & NVA cables are very good. There is a 7m set of TQ Blacks for sale on PFM, but they are about £500.

If you want to explore NVA cable they are excellent also, quite a few on here use/have used them. I still have my 4m set of LS5 which may be available sometime, but it may be too short for you.
  • edited February 2012
    NVA LS5 is good. Significantly better than LS3, and so I suppose even more betterer than LS1. (Have I got those the right way round?)
  • You have those the right way round, Ben.

LS3 is significantly better than LS1, and LS5 better than LS3. In other words, if you want to go down the NVA route, go for at least LS3.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks. I own or have owned all of those 3, but think my mind's been thrown by LS2 (that I don't think I've owned). Isn't LS1 better than LS2 (at least more expensive, I haven't heard LS2)?
    This thread is almost in need of a chisel, n'est pas...?
    :D
  • You've got me confused now. One is a cheapy that's different from the rest. You may be right that it's LS2 that's the one to be avoided.
  • LS2 is the el-cheapo one. My mate got some with an amp recently and it was poor compared to LS1.
  • edited February 2012
    Righto, so... LS2, LS1, LS3, LS5 is the (increasing) order of preference.
    Glad you guys know about NVA speaker cables. :\"> (I am a bit embarrassed, as I think(?) I might(?) currently be the biggest NVA in the country/world? (- outside of Epping of course.))

• edited February 2012
    I'm on NVA LS2 too, for Doublets and AV77 centre. Though the pair I got for the centre were older second hand ones. Seem stiffer and have no braid around them. Only ones I've tried mind. How are their interconnect sound pipes? I've mostly been using Gotham GAC interconnects so far.
  • LS2 is the el-cheapo one. My mate got some with an amp recently and it was poor compared to LS1.
    <Vic Reeves>
    Very poor. Very poor indeed.
    </Vic Reeves> 
  • I'm on NVA LS2 too, for Doublets and AV77 centre. Though the pair I got for the centre were older second hand ones. Seem stiffer and have no braid around them. Only ones I've tried mind. How are their interconnect sound pipes? I've mostly been using Gotham GAC interconnects so far.
    All NVA interconnects are good. Sound cords offer superb value for their performance. The Super Sound pipes are fantastic, though more expensive (I think it works out to about £2 per cm pair). Sound pipes are somewhere in the middle of the 2, though IMHO performance-wise they are closer to sound cords than SSP. The NVA upgrade offer is very useful for going up the chain obviously.
  • edited February 2012

All NVA interconnects are good. Sound cords offer superb value for their performance. The Super Sound pipes are fantastic, though more expensive (I think it works out to about £2 per cm pair). Sound pipes are somewhere in the middle of the 2, though IMHO performance-wise they are closer to sound cords than SSP. The NVA upgrade offer is very useful for going up the chain obviously.
    Wot 'E sed. Very good summary, IMO.

I do reckon that you'd love LS1 Arfa, not to dear even compared to LS2. How long are you speaker cable runs?

BTW, I used Gotham GAC 1 too, very good for the money and well made, but I replaced them with the identically priced sound-cords from NVA. They were better at imaging and much nicer on the mid & treble, but the Gothams seemed better on bass. I worked out after a while the the Gothams did this by slightly restricting the mids & highs...
  • What about the ProAc Studio 125. Anybody got an opinion ?
  • I don't know them, but would have thought they wouldn't have the life of the Royds.
  • I do reckon that you'd love LS1 Arfa, not to dear even compared to LS2. How long are you speaker cable runs?
    I'd need 2 x 3m lengths and a 1m length (for centre). Yeah, when funds permit, I shall have to try an upgrade. If NVA would exchange my old ones, that'd help too...
  • Yeh, they might. Usually they are very good like that, but they used to stipulate a period of two years for a full value trade in.