Stu's gear

edited February 2012 in Systems
This discussion was created from comments split from: OBs Chez uglymusic?.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Hi Jim, great to hear/see you again!

I suppose I might have guessed you weren't meaning these:

Comet specials, I believe.
    Hahahaha. Bit like my current speakers image
  • Oooohhhh, I've just spotted the glass bottle to the left of shot Stu.  What's the glass, and what's it attached to?
  • They're Electro Harmonix 300Bs in PSE - The amp is a TAC 300 (German company, but I think the amp is built in China -could be wrong. Whatever it sounds great!!!)
  • That setup looks pretty no-nonsense Stu! What is 'soundcraftmen' then? Never heard of them myself.

Are you interested in smeagol's Roksan Darius speakers? Apparently they were developed in sync with your TT. They look interesting.
  • Soundcraftmen are a US operation. They make, or made, professional gear and made their name with a graphic equalizer -apparently seen as being very good in the States.
    The Smeagols Darius did interest me when i saw them (These are the ones in the frames?) and I did consider them. I'm owed a bit of hifi in exchange for a website i did but i have my heart set on a decent phonostage (Possibly an  EAR).
    The speakers i have (Victor SX7S -victor is the Audiophile arm of JVC (Japanese Victor Company)) look bloody awful (they were 15€ from French E bay) but sound fabulous -they have ousted the following speakers from my room Celestion A1, Audio Physic Yara and Lowther Fidelio
  • Soundcraftmen are a US operation. They make, or made, professional gear and made their name with a graphic equalizer -apparently seen as being very good in the States.
    The Smeagols Darius did interest me when i saw them (These are the ones in the frames?) and I did consider them. I'm owed a bit of hifi in exchange for a website i did but i have my heart set on a decent phonostage (Possibly an  EAR).
    The speakers i have (Victor SX7S -victor is the Audiophile arm of JVC (Japanese Victor Company)) look bloody awful (they were 15€ from French E bay) but sound fabulous -they have ousted the following speakers from my room Celestion A1, Audio Physic Yara and Lowther Fidelio
    Victor eh?

Another saved eBay search methinks!
  • Thanks for moving this.
    I've never seen any of the Victors for sale anywhere again. They have water damage to the bottoms and looked even worse than they do now when i first got them. The guy selling them lived at the other side of france to me and they were pick up only. I asked if he would be prepared to let me organize a courier but he saw i was from Brittany and said he'd deliver whilst on his holidays in the region. when they were delivered we were on holiday and so we left the old car open in the barn, a bottle of 40€ Bordeaux on the front seat and he left the speakers - can't see that working in the UK ;-)
  • Indeed. we have a lot to learn.
  • They remind me a little of Wharfedale E50's Stu, with their adjustable treble and bass switches although the driver layout is a little different.   Always had a soft spot for the Wharfedale E series.
  • A little, though these are sealed boxes.
    Here's the spec, though there's very little on the web about them. http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/jvc_sx_7.html
  • edited February 2012
    I suppose I ought to post a picture of the rest of the kit hadn't I
    Here's the Roksan Xerxes with the R200 (OAd) with a DL110
    imageimageimage

Here's the TAC 300

Here's the Soundcraftman

and here's what it all looks like in situ. Ignore the sate of the room it's my space and i'm a bloke :-).

• I'm sure I had a Soundcraftsman amp for a while back in the late 70s. Big thing with 'walnut' end pieces. Can't remember what it was like or why I got rid of it.
  • They were purveyors of pro kit and the home stuff is barely any different, as you can see. I was told be an American audiophile friend that they are considered equals of Bryston in studio circles (?) though i couldn't comment on this.
    I have the matching pre amp that i'm using for headphone duties until my EHP-01 arrives from these good people
    http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-1-audiophile-headphone-amplifier/

• Didn't look like that. It was a big integrated with loads of knobs on it.
  • edited February 2012
    Not a lot of info on them, I did find a thread on audiokarma and a pic of a receiver.

Photobucket
  • That kind of thing, with the pretend walnut.
  • That looks bloody awful i have to say. The kit i have is NOTHING like that thing
  • It probably was crap, which is why I can't remember much about it.

I'd actually forgotten I had such a thing until you mentioned the brand.
  • Stu I love this one of the best bottle made, 
    Amps - 300bsPSE Tubes 
    But best is the TH250
  • Thanks BD -was sounding bloody marvelous earlier this evening whilst listening to Bowie