Thoughts on Scalford

edited March 2012 in Systems
This discussion was created from comments split from: Anyone planning to go to Scalford?.

Comments

• Done and back at the hotel. Great day was had. Dave took quite a few photos which I'm sure he'll put up soon.

We heard some good systems. A couple of real surprises for me. One was the the inexpensive CD system with tiny Keesonic Kubs. Astonishing for their size. Drums sounded more like drums than some big expensive speakers I've heard.

I'll think and write some more tomorrow.
  • edited March 2012
    I bumped into Mervyn, Andy (@uzinusa), Malcolm Steward, Jason (@Figlet108) and Rob Holt (@RobHolt).

Heard some good systems and some nasties.

Two expressions of the day: 

'He's mad as a snake'

"if you spend enough, anything can be made to sound bad'
  • Fantastic guys. I look forward to more info'.
    Temper your enthusiasm a bit tho' I'm already disappointed enough about missing it.
  • edited March 2012
    Scalford was my first hifi show and I really enjoyed it. Two systems stood out for me - Gromit's financially modest system was making anything but modest sounds. I spent at least 30mins listening in amazement to the superbly balanced sound coming from his Royd standmount speakers - made me wonder why anyone needs a bigger speaker.

Second system was Steve Toy's Tube Distinctions/Tannoy setup. This reminded me if the Belles/Vivid system I heard at Coherent Systems, yet with a far more sensible price tag. Not sure the prestige Tannoy range has a particularly high WAF factor but oh the sound was sublime.

Such a diverse range of systems on show it really needs more than a day to give them all a decent listen.
  • Had a wonderful day yesterday, which clearly got a lot better once the confusion over room allocation was solved. The hotel had changed the numbers of a few rooms, but hadn't updated their website, therefore the guys organising the show (who'd allocated rooms to exhibitors some weeks ago, not being informed of room number changes) had their work cut out. Still, all was well and I managed to get my kit moved from point a to point b and the system was running by just after 1030. :)

Didn't hear any other systems - well, not apart from what sounded like someone doing roadworks in the room above me at times - but was fairly happy with what my rig was doing despite the lack of time to get it set how I like it. The Royds did me proud again (thanks for the kind comments BJ) and especially so my new (to me) big Sony ES amp which I think is one of the biggest bargains I've picked up in years. Doing a quick comparison with a Trichord Dino/NCPSU and its own phonostage, those in the room actually preferred the built in one in in the Sony. Amazing.

A truly Grand Day Out, and one to look forward to again next year although I think after 3 years of 'showing' I'll go along as a paying punter. :)
  • edited March 2012
    Great to see Dave and Richard.

I voted Richard's system in joint 1st place (as last year) along with a vintage early 80s complete  B&O system.

Richard's system just worked despite the hotel room conditions. The Royds haves a coherence that alludes many other loudspeakers and they sound far bigger then you'd expect from looking at them.
    The Sony ES was clearly doing a fine job driving them.

The B&O system was weird. I walked into what resembled a long broom cupboard looked at the system and expected to take a pic and then leave. But what a lovely sound!
    Not in any way flashy or impressive but so sweet and easy to listen to.
    'Easy' can often mean boring or bland but not here. All this from a B&O receiver and parallel tracking TT.

I've put around 60 pics over at our place if anyone wants to take a look.

• I saw your pics of the B&O Rob - I don't care what it sounded like, what a beautiful thing!!

And as for Richard's legendary Royds (sorry, that never gets old), I have heard them before and I quite agree.
  • Should also have mentioned was really good to meet Dave at last, and also to see Jim again. :)
  • Well I had a great time and managed to get round all the rooms, some good, some not so good but overall a great day out. One room that did do it for me was the one playing the Duevell speakers, the omni directional ones, fantastic sound coming out of the babies

Never managed to meet up with Dave, maybe the next time

Lee
  • Yeah, Hopefully next time.

It was good to meet you, too, Richard.
  • edited March 2012
    Some belated thoughts on Scalford. Firstly great to catch up with Dave Jim and Jason again ( no group huddle though Alan )
    Overwhelming impression was one of a good friendly get together of like minded blokes on a wet Sunday ! Venue was the usual rabbit warren of such hotel/conference centres but that probably added to the interest and intrigue of finding hidden rooms with interesting sounds coming from them.
    System wise no particular favourites but the best ones were the simplest and best matched equipment including Gromit’s , Lenco room , one with Snell E’s , Leak 20 with Klipschs and some of the cheap as chips ( no idea which one !). The plethora of Tannoys became a bit tiresome probably because most were valve driven and it would have been interesting to hear some at the end of a chunky solid state amp. One exception was SQ’s active set which could sound incredibly realistic with the right recording.
    But overall a very good show which I found useful to provide a benchmark for my own system.