Active Crossovers

edited March 2012 in Loudspeakers
This discussion was created from comments split from: OBs Chez uglymusic?.

Comments

• I'm all for it Dave - I am just wondering how to implement a digital crossover without going fully active.

I reckon future DACs will be able to do this in conjunction with a pooter.
  • You mean a digital crossover with your RR3s, putting them into bi-amp mode?

You'd need another stereo amp and a digital crossover like Jim's Behringer, with both amps placed after the digital crossover.

You'd need another stereo amp and a digital crossover like Jim's Behringer, with both amps placed after the digital crossover.
    There are a number of software projects around that provide active cross-overing.
  • That's cool. 

I just did some Googling and came up with this set of instructions on how to do it on the Mac.
  • JimJim
    edited March 2012
    That looks thorough. You have to use two DACs or have some way of splitting the output into 2 or 3 sections.  I didn't read the article completely.
  • I must admit that I didn't read it in depth, being a crossover-less kinda guy ;-)
  • Indeed.

That's basically the idea - I don't see why the pooter can't do it digitally. The drawback - as Jim has observed - is the (potential) need for two DACs, or at least a specially designed DAC with two or three outputs which can be controlled from it's host pooter (wouldn't be much good for CD players though). Multiple power amps are a given.

Just musing, you know! (without any technical knowledge at all...)