Here at Dave 'n' Jim's Hi-Fi Lab, we have had our first set-back

edited March 2012 in Digital
You know that silly digital purist's idea I had to drop the pre-amp?

Well, Jim was right, along with everyone else who questioned me. This evening I fried two hitherto working Supravox drivers with ear-splittingly loud digital noise.

Smoke, burning smell, flying small cones and worry that the TDSs had gone as well.

Between them, Audirvana +, iTunes and Audio Hijack Pro ground to a halt and made a horrible noise. OS X stayed up. 

Comments

• Kabooooom!
  • Eek.

So was it 'just' the drivers in the end...?
  • Crumbs!  Are the amps OK?  How's your blood pressure?
  • Sorry Dave.
    Actually, I'm not sure whether to be sympathetic or cheery. How are you feeling?
  • edited March 2012
    It scared the poop out of me. I leapt across the room to kill the power to the DAC and managed to get cramp in my leg and a stitch in my rib cage. I screamed out in pain, and Sam thought I'd electrocuted myself. She ran in from the bedroom in a slight flap ;-)
  • edited March 2012
    It scared the poop out of me. I leapt across the room to kill the power to the DAC and managed to get cramp in my leg and a stitch in my rib cage. I screamed out in pain, and Sam thought I'd electrocuted myself. She ran in from the bedroom in a slight flap ;-)
    I am struggling with feelings of sympathy, conflicting with fits of giggles at this image...I am sorry Dave! :))

I hope everything is OK (save those bass drivers, of course!).
  • Those weren't bass drivers. Those were full-range drivers. 
  • Sorry! I knew that too. 8-}

• It scared the poop out of me. I leapt across the room to kill the power to the DAC and managed to get cramp in my leg and a stitch in my rib cage. I screamed out in pain, and Sam thought I'd electrocuted myself. She ran in from the bedroom in a slight flap ;-)
    It's a terrible fit of the stomach feeling too I suppose.
    I remember snapping the cantaliver of a BPS evo3 once, and just thinking "bugger".
    First time I remember was when I knocked one of my mum's flower over smashing it to bits. (Not recently btw.)
    At least you're OK Dave, as they say...
  • Sorry to see this Dave and i hope the damage didn't extend past the loudspeakers.

If the coils haven't fused together and therefore caused a short, the amps might have survived since 'just' very high volume for a few seconds shouldn't cause any harm.

If you need to borrow an amp for a few weeks just shout.
  • Thanks for the offer, Rob

The amps survived. Phew!
  • Poor devil, all I get is electric shocks when I pick up powered PCB but it keeps the ticker going.
  • Glad to hear the amps survived Dave.

Pushing the envelope is obviously not without risk especially physical !

• That's about the size of it!
  • "It is the scar that makes the man."