Tiny tweaks

edited March 2012 in Other hi-fi gear

When on the nipple these can really hurt.

However, we all like trying out the occasional one in our hifi chain.

Last weekend while rummaging in my shed I found a loose double unswitched wall socket. I swapped it* for the switched one at the end of my dedicated (of course :-B ) mains spur to my hifi.

What d'ya reckon...?

* Took all necessary precautions to ensure that I didn't suffer a large electric tweak to my nipples.

Comments

• What were you doing on the nipple at your age Ben? :\">
  • Ah - the 'purple nurple'...I remember it well!

I think there is a difference, I have an unswitched 2-gang faceplate I put in when I move to a new house.
  • When on the nipple these can really hurt.

However, we all like trying out the occasional one in our hifi chain.

Last weekend while rummaging in my shed I found a loose double unswitched wall socket. I swapped it* for the switched one at the end of my dedicated (of course :-B ) mains spur to my hifi.

What d'ya reckon...?

* Took all necessary precautions to ensure that I didn't suffer a large electric tweak to my nipples.

Know nothing about nipple "therapy".

But I'm certain you've gone up a notch or two.  Switches are a necessary evil I'm afraid.  Best to have them only where needed.

• But I'm certain you've gone up a notch or two.  Switches are a necessary evil I'm afraid.  Best to have them only where needed.

Interesting to read that Jim.
    When I first listened to the system after wiring in the unswitched socket I did think "May be that does sound different..." A part of me refuses to believe it =; . Another part finds it amusing that it might be true :P .

• Makes perfect sense to me Ben.  A switch breaks a run of cable with, usually,a lesser quality metal  - almost certainly with higher resistance.  Just image cutting your speaker or interconnect cable in half and soldering a cheap piece of brass in the middle. 

Dirty and/or poor contacts can ruin the sound of a system.  I'm not a driver and have no interest in cars but I do know how important it is to keep your points and plugs clean.  Same thing going on with cables in a HiFi system.

Monthly or so (but I usually forget) I unplug all my mains, speaker and interconnect cables and clean the plugs with metal cleaner and wipe off with IPA.  Works every time.
  • Quite right Jim. I think IEC's are equally detrimental to the sound quality. Hard wiring just makes more logical sense and can be just as safe when done properly.

• Monthly or so (but I usually forget) I unplug all my mains, speaker and interconnect cables and clean the plugs with metal cleaner and wipe off with IPA.  Works every time.
    I'm pleased to read that you usually forget. I know how debilitating OCD can be.
    ~X(

;)