Lumley ST40 Reference Series valve amplifier and Matching PP40 pre

PACPAC
edited March 2012 in For sale
This is a sale of one of my personal hifi items, NOT a trade sale.

Very regrettable sale of my much loved Lumley amplifiers. Some of you are familiar with these having heard them in my set up so know just how good they are. The ST40 is the best 6L6 type valve amplifier I’ve ever come across, period. IMHO it blows 99.99% of the competition out of the water for neutrality, authority and sheer musical enjoyment.

Design and Construction Details

The ST40 Mk1 is a very rare beast. Only 10 were ever made and 6 or 7 of them ended up in the Far East (in the Hong Kong high end audio market). The Mk1 was sonically far superior to the later Mk2 version as it wasn’t complicated by the biasing controls and additional circuitry (This from the designer himself). The only other ones that I know of in existence in the UK are one owned by the designer (Ben Carter) and another which I came across privately a few years back (the owner wasn’t about to let go of it for anything). It’s not to be confused with the ST70. It’s a different animal and uses a unique circuit design only found on the ST40. The story behind it is that John Jeffries (who owned the Lumley Brand) wanted a very aesthetically pleasing amplifier that could match and live up to the “Reference Series” tag, and Ben Carter was commissioned to perfect the design. In essence it’s a dual mono valve power amplifier with high gain, controlled by a separate PP40 “pre” which is basically a non powered passive control and switching unit using a very high quality volume pot. The phase inverters and gain stages are taken care of using ECC82 and 83 valves (two of each). I’m currently running Brimars in the 82 position and Tung Sol 803s (Telefunken design) in the 83 positions. I also have a spare set of NOS Mullards which I’ll throw in with the amp (ECC82s). Output is a healthy 40 watts per channel, but don’t let that fool you as it can drive quite demanding ‘speaker loads with ease (including ESLs). I’ve used it to drive Proac Tablettes, Castle Howards, Proac 140’s and the Hornings and it delivered volumes to ear splitting levels with these. I’ve also driven loudspeakers with sensitivities as low as 86dB with ease using this amp.
The amp is valve rectified using a single Sovtek 6L6WGC (5881) valve and output valves are in push-pull configuration. These are specially commissioned Harma 6L6 GC STR valves which I had spec’d for low distortion (late break up). Exceptionally low microphonics are claimed for those. The ST40 uses a large hand wound rare Mu-Metal transformer. The guy who made it (it wasn’t Ben) was selected for the job as he was amongst the very best at his trade. The use of Mu-metals was chosen to help with screening as the power supply is up front between the input valves for (I guess) aesthetic reasons. Casework is exceptional, real heavy gauge polished steel, which could be stainless or very thick chrome...I don’t know which. The amps together weigh in at close to a hefty 60lbs. The pre was upgraded sometime in the past to use pure silver wiring and had an up-rated pot fitted.
After I bought the amp about 5 years back, I had it serviced and the guy who did it messed it up resulting in a few hundred hours use before the main tranny burnt out. I contacted Ben Carter as I thought the guy who designed it ought to be the one to service it. To cut a long story short, so exceptional was the amp, that I decided on a complete rebuild as I couldn’t be sure what the initial servicing monkey had done (or not). Ben re-built it 2 years ago from the chassis up. This included a brand new transformer, handmade by the original tranny builder, plus every single component replaced with newer (and in some cases up-rated) components. Ben re-valved the amp and re-biased it and since then it’s had around 200 hours use before I started rolling input valves. Essentially, it was brand spanking new when delivered back to me. The Brimars have 100 hours and the Tung Sols about the same. All sockets were replaced too for nice new shiny ones and the casing stripped off and re-polished.
It’s probably the best ST40 anywhere in existence and Ben reckoned after he had it done, it was also the best sounding one he’d ever made.

Sound Quality

In a few words...stunning and sublime. The amp has great authority, delivering hefty, deep and well controlled bass (unlike most other similar valve amps I’ve tried). Mid range has real presence and high frequencies are accurate and extended, not soft and rolled off, they have real sparkle. The design I’m told is quite low distortion for a valve amp, and it shows. You’d be hard pushed to tell the difference between the ST40 and a well designed SS amp. Its a stunner in the sonic department for sure.
I am only selling (and I may live to regret this) to raise funds for another project as starting up my business has been very costly for me.

I won’t consider sending by courier as I don’t trust any of them not to drop and damage the amp, but am willing to meet half way for diesel money for anyone interested, or better still, come to Chez PAC67’s and audition it!
The amp may have a few hundred hours on it from the rebuild but is like brand new. You simply won’t find another like this.

Asking price for BOTH together is £1500 ono 
(Ben confirmed value after rebuild as about £2 to 3K for a replacement to get you anywhere near the performance). I’m losing a lot at that, but it has to go.

Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow

Comments

• !!!!!!SOLD!!!!!!!
  • Well done!
  • Now running a Primare i30 in its place.  Very beefy sound but the jury's out!
  • 12 angry men stylee...?
  • 12 men with prejudice against SS amplification!  To be fair, the primare is remarkably good.  I'll be writing a review for Hifipig in due course on the amp, but it's strengths seem to be impressive dynamic scale, thunderous bass performance (yet nicely balanced) and a pretty non-fatiguing listen.  No upper glare.  The volume needs spinning round over half-way even with 100dB/1w loudspeakers to get the tonal balance to snap into focus, unlike Class A amps which can delight at any volume.  The detail is there, but slightly subdued.  Its not a hifi fireworks amplifier in the treble and this could be appealing over a wide range of systems.  The bass response has th be heard to be believed, it really plumbs the depths with great control!
  • Persuasive. Sounds worth a listen.
    Looks like you might be Henry Fonda after all...!
  • Hi Paul,

I have never heard a Primare (I thought Nissan made them?), but I am glad you have something interesting to listen to. It must have hurt to let your Lumleys go, I felt for you!
  • Thanks Alan, yes I regret selling them.  The best 6L6 amp I've ever heard, simply stunning.  Presence in bucketloads.  Needs must though and at least I have first dibs on buying them back at some point!

Primare review here