eBay Watch

Comments

• They were made for a different lass of punter Dave, don't feel bad!

8-}
  • Not quite eBay, HiFiWigWam classifieds: Something to do with our mutual friend and tame resident amp designer.

• Oh, that one.

I thought you were being ironic for a moment there, with the amp designer who doesn't want to be our friend.

BTW, what flavour ice lolly is that?
    :-\"
  • Que?

No, I did mean the friendly one. I wish the other one was friendly too, though.
  • It's a Magnum, geddit? :-D
  • Oh...no, not really!

Magnum isn't a lolly!

:-q
  • Oh yes it is! :-)
  • Alan, sssshhhhh for goodness sake.  I've got close up pics of those Merlins emailed to me and was hoping things would stay quiet :-)

Andy
  • Alan, sssshhhhh for goodness sake.  I've got close up pics of those Merlins emailed to me and was hoping things would stay quiet :-)

Andy
    Ooops! Sorry Andy,

not to worry because hardly anyone reads here...

Merlins from Shahinians? That's some change mate, presumably a short term one?
  • Ah Mrs Uz doesn't like the Arcs, so it's not worth making a deal of.  I heard the Merlins earlier this year and thought they were superb and was tempted, as an interim measure maybe, to pick up a pair (these being v local suits me just fine as the post can't do any damage).  Sure they won't have the scale but they should be sweet as a nut and will bring their own btw to the party.

Only joking re the sssshhhh Alan.
    BW,
    Andy
  • Go for it Andy, I heard Gromits two or three times and they are special, especially with really hight end amplification up 'em!

They are like minstrels but better, smoother but better detail. No harshness that I could hear. He had them on open stands, KAN I believe?

The later RR3 standmounts had their own integral stand by Royd, which is also light & open (4 round pillars, not as open as the KAN stands)
  • I was going to put these up a few days ago, but was too late:

Gale 401, and quite special ones as well fro the looks of them.

• edited February 2012
    Not quite eBay, HiFiWigWam classifieds: Something to do with our mutual friend and tame resident amp designer.

Goodness me, these are very old the capacitor date is 1982.
    The MC stage had re-chargeable batteries to reduce noise.
    The power amp used Hitachi Fets which were made obsolete within 6mth of production.
    The "Flat Earth" mag loved them. Long nights chatting over a hot curry with Malcolm and Chris dipping toast into a hot spice mix.
    Fun days but hard work.
    Were is Chris Frankland now???
  • edited February 2012
    Very special little speaks here, Royd Revelation 1 (RR1).

Cute, aren't they? Fantastic little things IMO!
  • Verra naice!
  • Very special little speaks here, Royd Revelation 1 (RR1).

Cute, aren't they? Fantastic little things IMO!
    Flip me! :O

£465!

• Royd prices on the up again?
  • A rare 'opportunity' if ever I saw one...

Probably works with a P90?
  • Rural Brittany? Something to do with @Stupinder?

I might have to bid :-)
  • It's a fine example if ever I saw one.  I've been hankering after a Weasel for a while, never thinking that I'd get a clean shot at the Stoat.
  • Pervert!
  • edited March 2012
    Alan, is that really fair?  We can argue later, however I'm just posting to tell you all what a damned decent bloke the Audio Stoat sell is.  I asked him a straight question, and received a prompt reply.  Thumbs up for this seller!

ah i give up with images today...

Q: "My Aardvark got covered in Honey". It's a Sam Rivers of Blue Note fame track. It already sounds weak in so many areas, lyrics excepted. Can you tell me how, if I'm blessed sufficiently by the God Thrangot, how the Audio Stoat will ruin My Aardvark got covered in Honey? Cheers, Andy

15-Mar-12
    A: How very dare you, sir or madam! The Audio Stoat will take your Aardvark covered in honey and roll it in delicious chopped, roasted hazelnuts making it even better than it was. Having had a word with the famous astronomer and all round good egg Professor Brian Cox he has suggested, after having carefully studied your birthchart, that there will be a dramatic change in fortune in the stars for you. He predicts you will bid a huge amount for this beautiful Audio Stoat 01 amplifier and win it. This in turn will make your family, who currently despise you, love you once again after they hear what beautiful music it doesn't play. Good fortune favours the naked! Neil Hillock for HP

• Open baffles, acrylic, 15" and full range drivers...seems familiar! (although the listing does mention a crossover box)
  • Blimey! I thought you's found a joke pic to begin with there, Alan :-)
  • The look interesting, don't they?
  • Yes, they do. I'm wondering what Jim says to acrylic baffles.

I think I might take this over to the OBs thread.
  • edited May 2012
    Having spent a little time with the jedi master, my guess is:

"Not as good as chip. Or Torlyte." /Jim
  • I suspect that'll be his response, too. But we'll see.
  • Just looked at them.

I do think a timber baffle would be better, yes.  But not sure how much there'd be in it TBH.  I can certainly see (through) the attraction.  It's not heavy and is self damped but I don't think acrylic is as stiff as chipboard.  But I've not heard this and I'm wrong way more than I'm right so you never know.

This is the NoBox design straight from Visaton, it had some pretty good write-ups IIRC.
  • Big Magnepans here and here! Fantastic stuff...

• Not eBay, but PFM - some seriously cool loudspeakers and very very rare:

"Avondale RMS2 speakers. A pair of Les's fantastic speakers with
    separate boxes containing the passive crossovers which I have never used
    because I used them active with the 250s and Ixo. I have the boxes
    although I'm unsure they are good enough to give to a carrier.I will
    also include 2 x 3m pairs of Avondale Black Link speaker cables and some
    shorter lengths which go from the crossover to the speakers. £775 reduced to £700"

I would take a punt on these myself, and do so blind if I had the cash.

Avondale.

• They look interesting Alan.

I don't know them myself, but I have a feeling Jim mentioned something about Avondale speakers sometime. Can't remember what he said, tho' 
    :P
  • edited August 2012
    Neither does he... :-\"

• I couldn't possibly offer a reason why  :-B
  • Aren't you two similar vintage? I mean ages? b-(
  • I'll have you know I'm nearly 20 years younger than Christine Keeler!
  • JimJim
    edited August 2012
    They look interesting Alan.

I don't know them myself, but I have a feeling Jim mentioned something about Avondale speakers sometime. Can't remember what he said, tho' 
    :P
    Indeedy I did.  Les did lots of things that I would consider wrong.  2 VERY long throw drivers, both on the same plane, ported cabinets.  Worst of all the cabinets are steel!!  Les told me he had to make a special jig to get the drivers into the cabinets - without the jig the magnets on the back of the drivers would just stick to the cabinets :-)

But I'm a rank amateur and Les is a clever engineer.

I heard these a few times back in the day and they sounded bloody good.

And I have no idea why
    :-S

I bought two drivers from Les way back when,  larger but the same design to the ones above.  Have started playing with them again just recently.  And they do sound very fine.
  • Nice little active system, a kind of all in one solution if you will. WAF: 0/10.

Linky.
  • That looks fun!
  • Ooo let's have a wip round...
    :-)
  • Stop Press!!!  =))

--Linky--
  • Stop Press!!!  =))

--Linky--
    That is great. You are a comedy-gold miner today mr. Brown. Thank you vm.
  • Ayefankyiouuu!
  • edited November 2012
    Goodness me, these are very old the capacitor date is 1982.
    The MC stage had re-chargeable batteries to reduce noise.
    The power amp used Hitachi Fets which were made obsolete within 6mth of production.
    The "Flat Earth" mag loved them. Long nights chatting over a hot curry with Malcolm and Chris dipping toast into a hot spice mix.
    Fun days but hard work.
    Were is Chris Frankland now???

Hi Colin,

He's out of hi-fi and into photography.
    HFW tried to interview him about the hifi days a couple of years back back he wasn't interest at all:

Here's his site:

• Not ebay this time, HiFi Wigwam. Corrr!