Friday's Later...

edited April 2012 in Other music
I've been getting less and less enamoured with Later over the past few series. The spark seemed to have gone.

I think some of the spark returned on Friday with a line-up of Jack White, Norah Jones, Alabama Shakes and the Chieftains who played with a couple of other acts, including an outfit called the Carolina Chocolate Drops, a black bluegrass outfit. Their singer and fiddle player... What a voice. I'm in love! :-)

Anyway if you've access to BBC iPlayer or you've Tivo'd it and haven't watched, give it a go and see if you think it's one of the best for a long while.

Comments

• I watched it and was not impressed with Jack White. More than just a bit pretentious to have one all female band and one all male - and they were both crap IMVHO. Norah Jones continues to irritate me.

But as you say the rest of the acts were very good indeed. Enjoyed the Alabama Shakes a lot, shades of Janis in that voice.
  • The only one that really got the thumbs down from me was the Canadian girl who did some really hackneyed electronica.

It's the first time I've heard Norah Jones since she went all country on her second album. I quite enjoyed her, really.
  • Yeah, I forgot the Canadian woman - agreed!

Jones is just to twee and predictable for me.
  • Trudat!

Alabama shakes are a bit of a discovery imo - I hope their studio versions are as good as the live ones.
  • The album's on Spotti and is pretty good IMO.

Not sure if it's good enough for purchase, though. YMMV
  • I shall check it out, they were very into what they were playing, I really got their feel.

agreed about Later in general though - I have a theory that there is only one really show per series. This has proved true over the last four seasons now!

the preview show on Tuesday is useful though, for knowing whether to bother or not. I like to channel hop between that and Newsnight - it's a heady mix!
  • I just TiVo the main programme and skip over the crap.
  • ..Which leaves you how many minutes?
    %-(
  • Let me see...
  • So, does anyone have any predictions re the quality of today's offerings from Mr Netherlands?
  • I neglected to watch the preview show, so I am besides myself with anticipation. No really...I may be too tired to watch it tonight, we shall see (I can't record at the moment).

I heard the Alabama Shakes on t'wireless this week and have been humming the tune ever since, so there isd one decent discovery for me this series already.
  • Was it any good then? I didnt stay up...
    (:|
  • Don't know. I TiVo it and play it, er, Later :-)

Did you watch it Jim?
  • Nope, looked at who was on and couldn't be bothered.
  • Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery
  • Nope, looked at who was on and couldn't be bothered.
    I can hardly wait!
  • I dipped in and out of Tuesday's preview show and the news, I only noticed one act that caught my ear, Esperanza Spalding.
  • I haven't watched last Friday's yet. Was that any good?
  • I cant remember, as I only bothered with the preview show I think. Wasn't that the week Dexys were on?
  • Possibly. I haven't seen Dexy's.