Songs I need in my collection

edited February 2012 in Other music
Lets make this thread a communal one, it might be a good way to broaden some horizons!

What song/album dont you have but you know deep down you should have?

Or perhaps in spite of yourself and your audiophile sensibilities, an album you want but shouldn't?

Listening to the radio this morning, I am reminded again I do not possess Ian Dury & the Blockhead's 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick'.

I have to fix this. What album is this on (and is this the best album)?

What about you? Doesn't have to be your usual stuff, might even be.....brace yourself.....a...pop album?!

Remember, there is no shame on AudioChews. Well, not once you're already here...

Comments

• Look for a 2 for 1 offer on the blockheads. There's an Ian Dury shaped hole in my music collection too.
  • I think Rhythm Stick and Reasons to be Cheerful were just singles, so you'll have to seek out one of the many compilations that float around. Otherwise, New Boots and Panties is the one to have - just keep Plaistow Patricia away from tender your ears.
  • I think Rhythm Stick and Reasons to be Cheerful were just singles, so you'll have to seek out one of the many compilations that float around. Otherwise, New Boots and Panties is the one to have - just keep Plaistow Patricia away from tender your ears.
    Yeah, wot he said!!!
    :-O
  • I need "Klingons on the Starboard Wing" or record label BAF 001 - 005
  • The Boss / Bruce Springsteen.

I love his energy & passion (but not the muddy production).

I think he is more a stateside institution, as he writes of his hometown, community, family & pride. All good stuff, though I dont really know how well his stories travel. Is there a particular album I need?
  • A friend of mine is a massive Springsteen nut. I'd ask her, but she won't understand the production proviso.
  • S'OK. Production values are nice to have but not essential, if the artist has something to say. I'd appreciate a pointer or two. :)
  • OK. I'll drop her a note this evening. You may end up having half of his discography being recommended, though ;-)
  • Like asking Jim to recommend a Bob Dylan album then?
    O:-)
  • Possibly worse! 

But certainly on that level of potential overwhelm :-)
  • There is far too much music missing in my collection to list. Stupid selling of 500 or so albums about 18 years ago and then 3000 or so personal bits of vinyl 16 or so years ago have made it a difficult task to have all the music I once had.
    Should have some Suicide in there somewhere but alas i don't.
  • Like asking Jim to recommend a Bob Dylan album then?
    O:-)
    The River, Darkness at the Edge of Town and the box set of early material are the ones. Avoid recent stuff because it's 'samey'.

• The River, Darkness at the Edge of Town and the box set of early material are the ones. Avoid recent stuff because it's 'samey'.
    Cool, that's the one I saw on a documentary. I shall investigate!
  • Are they on Spotti?
  • After listening to them quite a bit recently on Spotify, I've decided I need to buy a couple of Air albums.

I got Springsteen's greatest hits album for Xmas.....some great songs but it has to be one of the worse quality recordings I own. There's loads of Springsteen stuff on Spotify.
  • Must give it a go, then. Thanks for that.
  • Thxs James, I agree about the SQ of Springsteen, but he's too well respected to not give him a proper go AFAIAC.

Air are great too, I only have one of theirs (Pocket symphony) but it has a really strong feel. I like very much...let us know which albums you recommend?
  • Bill Withers.

Just been watching 'Still Bill' doc on bbc4.  What a beautiful way he has about him.
  • Yup. I'm recording it and the live gig.

He is one of the greats.
  • Bob Dylan. (I mean his solo work before he broke through with the Travelling Willburys) ;))

Any suggestions? I would be prepared to go for maybe two or three CDs on Amazon marketplace.
  • Oh dear. The rot has started to set in in East Sussex.

Here be Dylan albums 
    :D
  • Rot! How very dare you sah :)

It's hard to think of only three, but...

Freewheelin'
    Highway 61
    Street Legal

A good place to start. You can get the rest when you realise what you've been missing - won't take that long :)
  • Or:

Blonde on Blonde
    Desire
    Oh Mercy

B-)
  • Thanks Jim, I'll have a scout around for the best (cheapest) of those. Dave tells me its not worth spending much on those anyway...
  • Thanks Jim, I'll have a scout around for the best (cheapest) of those. Dave tells me its not worth spending much on those anyway...

=)) =)) X(
  • I'd find someone who's trying to give them away :-)
  • I buy all my music from petrol stations, I might find some there?
  • Try in the bins, round the back.
  • Heathens! You have no cooth at all...
  • Trouble with you, Mr OmniverousMusic, is that as you like everything, I can't find any music to piss you off :-D
  • You're kidding of course...

Coldplay
    Roxy Music
    Ringo Starr
    Most electronica

Shall I go on?
  • Out of that list, my only chance is some electronica...
  • Rot! How very dare you sah :)

It's hard to think of only three, but...

Freewheelin'
    Highway 61
    Street Legal

A good place to start. You can get the rest when you realise what you've been missing - won't take that long :)
    Got this little lot ordered for the princely sum of £7.98. I love Zoverstocks!
  • All three for £8!!!

Bargain mate.
  • Joan Armatrding.

I grew up listening to a particular album over and over...or it might have been a compilation. It was about the time Richard Thomson and Dave Mattacks were in her band. Pure class!

I am reminded of her as she is on R2 at the moment, and is touring.