New music bargains

edited June 2012 in Other music
There are some real box-set bargains around at the moment as record companies repackage their back catalogues.

I bought a 20-CD set of Miles Davis for about £10 or £12 a month or two back, and this evening I've been ripping a five-CD set of Ornette Coleman albums (The Shape of Jazz to Come, Change of the Century, This is Our Music, Free Jazz and Ornette!). That's most of Ornette's key early albums for a bit over a tenner.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, or classic rock, soul or funk, have a rummage around on Amazon. There are some real bargains.

Comments

• Howzabout a linky to your Ornette set? :)
  • A penny for your kind thought sir...
    Thanks.

Btw - I presume that something other than off shore VAT avoidance explains these low-low prices...
    I ain't one for 'doin' a jimmy'.
  • Here you go.

Prices go up and down a bit on this kind of stuff, I know not why.
  • A penny for your kind thought sir...
    Thanks.

Btw - I presume that something other than off shore VAT avoidance explains these low-low prices...
    I ain't one for 'doin' a jimmy'.
    It's just back catalogue stuff that the record companies have made their money on over and over already. There's little or nothing left to amortise.
  • Thanks mate. The deed is done. I have some...Uglymusic.  ~:>

• No probs. They're really well worth having.

I hope you like them.
  • I don't have any Coleman. Will I likey...?
    He's not too experimental / Coltrane on acid is he...?
  • Yup. I always enjoyed it whenever I've heard it though.
    It is experimental then...?
  • I don't know if you'll like Ornette. Some people still think he can't play, even after all these years!

At the time these albums came out, he was as far out as anyone, but the albums are 50 or more years old, so they should be seen as real cornerstones of the jazz that followed. One track, Ramblin' was nicked by Ian Dury for Sex 'n' Drugs 'n' Rock & Roll, so it's punk, if you like ;-)

Ornette is not as difficult as late Coltrane, IMHO. He's altogether lighter and more bluesy.

Does that help?
    I don't think Ornette has ever been experimental. He's always known exactly what he's doing.
  • Yes it does.
    Thanks.
    I'm not up to your level of jazz immersion Dave. At least, not yet.
    Any other current recommendations?
    I don't think Ornette has ever been experimental. He's always known exactly what he's doing.
    Again, lazy thinking by me. By 'experimental' I meant something else...unconventional and challenging...something like that.

• Yes it does.
    Thanks.
    I'm not up to your level of jazz immersion Dave. At least, not yet.
    Any other current recommendations?
    Yeah. I never really know what people will like or not like in my collection - I'm so deep in the forest (yup, wood and trees metaphor a-go-go).

I'll have a look through Amazon and post some recommendations here over the next few days.
  • How about this Mingus Box Set?

All these are well worth having, but Blues and Roots is the real gem.

As a bass player, Ben, you've got to have some Mingus. Even though he died back in 1979, many still rate him as the jazz bass player.
  • Or how about this? Three CDs from Monk's best period, IMO, for less than six quid.

Run, don't walk :-)
  • Or some Coltrane?

Two of these five are absolute 'musts' - Giant Steps and My Favorite Things.
  • I"ll start with Mingus. I listen a lot to 'ah um' which I bought on your recommendation a while back.
    Thanks.
  • Great. These will go nicely with Ah Um.
  • edited June 2012

Charlie Mingus + Amazon + Dave + Postie + NVA hifi + mug of tea = Happy Ben! :-)

Thanks for the tip off Dave...! Lovin' it. Just started with Pithecanthropus Erectus.

EDIT - obviously the mug of tea was part of the whole general experience, not of the specific chain that led to the music entering my ears. Although may be I should try rubbing the tea into the CD or something. Or perhaps offering it to the postie to speed up delivery time, or to Dave to encourage future tip offs.
  • Enjoy!

Put on Blues and Roots, first track and crank it up! Then peel yourself off the wall :-)
  • Will do Dave. Now out and about tho'.
  • Home now. Blues and roots ripped and playing.
    Excellent!!!
  • So glad you like it!
  • How about some Sonny Rollins?

Tenor Madness and Saxophone Colossus are the standouts here, I think.
  • A while ago I said I would recommend some Air albums for Alan and promptly forgot all about it.  Anyway, I was listening to Moon Safari earlier and thought I would take the opportunity to post some Amazon links to their music:

Moon Safari is a wonderful album and can be had for £3.97 on Amazon here:

10,000hz Legend is slightly more expensive at £4.52:

The Virgin Suicides - Original Soundtrack.  This album is worth it for the opening track 'Playground Love' alone. £3.10:

Enjoy.

• Thanks mate! I only have Pocket Symphony, so I will be checking those out. :)