Garrard Restoration and Plinth Build!

PACPAC
edited June 2012 in DIY
Thought I'd share the progression over the past week or two with my attempts to restore my 401 and design and build a new plinth as it may prove useful to other Garrard DIYers!  The plinth in this thread is one that I will be marketing for RFC eventually but this was the prototype.

I had a pretty decent late model Garrad which I'd built a plinth for a few years back:

I wanted something a bit more contemporary looking with better motor isolation but the first priority was to strip and service the Garrard:

First job was to remove and inspect the main spindle bearing:

As can be seen from the photos, the main spindle was in great shape but the thrust pad has the characteristic flat worn into the phosphor bronze bearing, so I changed it for this:

Much better and very very smooth!

Next was a partial strip down of the motor, starting with removal of the transit clamp and lower clam shell:

The lower bearing is in a spherical housing that should be free to rotate to aid rotor shaft alignment but it was pretty seized up and the bearing itself dry as a bone, so this was freed up and re-lubed using light machine oil to fill the lower bearing welll before re-assembly.  The top bearing lubrication was done by applying oil through the holes on the magnetic eddy current disc located beneath the platter (oil lightly sprayed using 3 in 1 direct to the top of the shaft bushing).  Linkages were cleaned up and regreased with petroleum grease (note that they are all cadmium coated so never handle them without surgical gloves or similar!!!).

The idler wheel was then removed and reconditioned by taking a slight amount off to get rid of the rounded edges, the bushings re-oiled and everything reassembled.  I re-soldered the ground wires to the chassis tag as these had developed a dry joint! (the chassis could have gone "live" and electrocuted someone!!)

Next was reassembly and run in of the new bearing.  After a few hours at 78RPM everything was very silent as it should be from the factory, no rumble or idler wheel/motor shaft noise at all (to the naked ear), so a very worthwhile service.

Comments

• Fantastic post Paul. Thanks for that!
  • PACPAC
    edited June 2012
    Next onto the plinth:image

Template cut and the deck tested for fit before...

...trying out an idea for suspension using sorbothane. I experimented
    with various shore hardness and diameters until I got one where using a
    stethoscope I could pick up no noise when placed on the temporary timber
    supports.

The plinth proper was then started:

Solid Oak blockboard (£170 per metre!). The idea was for a contemporary
    high mass skeletal design using my proprietry suspension hemispheres and
    designing a locating support routed into the solid oak such that no part of the
    deck is in direct contact with the plinth:

Deck fitted:

Turned Black Walnut column supports with inset brass cone adjusters for
    levelling the deck:

Testing the suspension and design by using a stethoscope to compare
    direct feedback from the deck compared with from the plinth:

I was delighted to find that there is absolutely no noise, not one iota
    present on the plinth meaning that it is all but free of unwanted vibration
    although the deck when listened to via the stethoscope was almost deafening!
     No need whatsoever for an off board arm mount!

Next will be the cutting of the hole for the tonearm, a Hadcock GH242
    Cryo which I'll do next week, then fitting of acoustic isolation feet to the
    lower plinth and finally the sanding and finishing of the woodwork before
    settling back to listen to some tunes again!

Watch this space...completed pictures coming next week with a full report on sonic performance!

• Yes. Thanks. Great work and craft!

Gove might even give you a pass in his new D&T CSE course for it.

Keep up the updates. :-)
  • That does look nice Paul! Very slick indeed
  • Thanks chaps. Got assistance to do the routing from a friend who is an expert cabinet and furniture maker who has kindly allowed me time in his workshop.  He will be building all future RFC plinths and hifi furniture to my designs for me, but I wanted to make sure that the first one worked aesthetically and performance wise.  went through a shed load of sorbothane before getting the right ones that did the trick perfectly and the whole exercise has been quite costly with that and the investment in time, timber and other bits and pieces but hopefully it will be worth the effort!
  • Sounds good.

Even as Mr Digital, I have a liking for a good 401.
  • Is that him in one of the pics? Because I had pictured you more as a 'Mr T' figure.
  • I'll convert you yet Dave!
  • Moi Mr T?  Nope...

a picture just before selling the Agathons for my new Harbeths:

• What with you and Jim, I'll have to go and polish me prejudices :-)
  • Rub hard!
  • Is that him in one of the pics? Because I had pictured you more as a 'Mr T' figure.
    Yes. Later in the afternoon, from those pieces of wood in the background, he fashioned a cabbage throwing tank in which he made good his escape.
  • "These aint gettin' on no damn plane!"
  • Moi Mr T?  Nope...

a picture just before selling the Agathons for my new Harbeths:

And a Gyro.

How does your Gyro compare to your 401, I wonder?
  • Rub hard!

[-X
  • The Gyro WAS better by a long way.  Lower noise floor, better arm and cart (SME309/Shelter5000) but I have a sneaking suspicion that the fettled 401 with Hadcock 242 and Denon cart will give it a run for its money...
  • The Gyro WAS better by a long way.  Lower noise floor, better arm and cart (SME309/Shelter5000) but I have a sneaking suspicion that the fettled 401 with Hadcock 242 and Denon cart will give it a run for its money...
    I'll be awaiting your final judgement.
  • "These aint gettin' on no damn plane!"
    You can see clearly that the handsome floorstander is in a fact one of George pepard's disguises - he's inside wielding a syringe of sedative.
  • Indeed. Is that 'the face' crouching in the foreground though?
  • Genuine apologies.
    Your fine work and time in posting deserves (a lot) better than Alan and I.
  • The new speakers on (ahem) temporary "stands"

...along with the new amps:

Croft+Harbeth = Stunning synergy...I'm liking it a lot.
  • PACPAC
    edited June 2012

• Genuine apologies.
    Your fine work and time in posting deserves (a lot) better than Alan and I.
    Not at all...I enjoy the banter  ;)
  • Blimey. You're a proper audiophile. :-)
    Party at your place.

Those stands have true giant killing potential, shewerly!
  • I'm glad they're working out for you.

The Harbeths aren't as pretty as the Agathons, I'd say.
  • £6.95 EACH they were.....

Proper ones on they way...have no fear but couldn't resist using the kiddies foldaway stools for now if only to see the look of horror on the faces of hifi addict visitors!

Funnily enough Dave they look pretty good in the flesh.  A bit 1970's to look at but once the music starts up, how the 'speakers look fades into nothingness in comparison with how they sound....fabulous!  Lovely build quality too...
  • S'funny. I only get two hi-fi addict visitors. @Alan and @Jim.

Funnily enough Dave they look pretty good in the flesh.  A bit 1970's to look at but once the music starts up, how the 'speakers look fades into nothingness in comparison with how they sound....fabulous!  Lovely build quality too...
    Disappearing speakers are a wonderful thing. I'm looking forward to getting back to my OB experiments.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi Paul Very interesting project and has convinced me I should service my 401 motor. Couple of questions - can you just remove the electrical connection block or has it to be de-soldered ? Looks tricky to put the bottom motor clam back on by lowering the whole motor unit back onto it ? Nice idea isolating the motor unit and a recessed unit is very neat and stylish. Did you use CAD/CNC to get such a neat accurate stepped cut-out ? I have mine in a bamboo plinth at present but plan to replace it and maybe recess the unit as you have done. Thanks Mervyn
  • PACPAC
    edited June 2012
    Hi Mervyn

thanks for that.  To answer your questions in order:

Electrical Block Connector:  This is removed from the motor housing via two small bolts which hold the block support and by removing the small bolt (which has a blind nut inside the back of the housing as well as a small nut securing the cover).  The only wire you need to remove is the chassis earth wire by unbolting the chassis earth tag retaining fixings.  There is sufficient flexibility within the wiring loom to pull the motor clear, you just have to be careful not to pinch the motor supply wires when reassembling;

It isn't too bad relocating the motor.  You can do it with the deck upside down as surface tension will keep most of the oil within the base bearing well, but as soon as the shaft is located you'll obviously displace some oil.  You would do even doing it the right way up but it's no drama as you'll have sufficient oil left to coat the bearing which just needs to be wet/soaked in oil.  Be very careful not to disturb the spherical bearing housing as this is positioned for shaft alignment.  Most have semi-seized when not serviced for a long time and if moved, they need to be liberally sprayed with WD40 or similar to free them up before cleaning off and adding a few drops of light machine oil.  They must be free enough to allow them to be re-centred so that when the clam shell is reassembled, it fits over the rotor shaft correctly.

The cut out was done (very carefully) by hand using a router fence and some bodged up jigs.  The router did the main work and a special router tool was used to cut in the recesses (a very fine cuting edge) as an auger would have splintered the wood (trial work on scrap was used).  The timber was chosen for it's density but doing it again I would be tempted to use a solid block of Rosewood or Oak rather than block board.  It would have put materials costs up by nearly £200 though!

Be careful if recessing and using isolation suspension as I have done that you get the correct grade otherwise you're on a hiding to nothing.  You may need to experiment.  Too soft and you can allow too much micro-movement when the motor's running which can translate to additional distortion that the stylus must cope with.  Too little absorption and you can allow too much vibration (noise) to get to the plinth and hence the tonearm.  I've kept the exact details to myself for now as this will soon be a commercial venture.  I had expected to do a good deal more fettling to get the performance I have out of the plinth, but it came together so well that what you see will essentially (bar a few cosmetic changes) form the basis of the RFC commercial plinths (available in any timber or veneer of choice).  The time invested has been quite significant for such a straightforward project...about a week's work to date for me including the Garrard servicing, design work, CAD work (to draw up templates and sketch plinth details), ordering, marking out, construction and now, finishing work.  Happy to help if I can if you come unstuck, but its doable for a handy DIYer with care and the right tools.

In terms of motor servicing options, you could remove the whole motor.  You'd need to removed the pulley (three grub screws come of the middle collar and you screw out the top pulley, then slacken the screws holding the eddy wheel in place and once the motor suspension springs have all been removed you can wiggle the motor out.  The eddy magnetic brake needs to be swing clear or preferably it's retaining bracket and linkage should be removed also.  It makes motor overhaul easier in one way but a greater investment in time.  You can get away though with using a plastic tube connected to a spray can of 3 in 1 light oil and putting the tube through one of the eddy wheel holes so you can then soak the top of the shaft where it goes into the motor such that oil will get drawn into the bearing.  Its messy and needs cleaning up but makes the job easier.  Last tip:  don't over-tighten the clam shell bolts.  they just need pinching up and no more.

Hope that helps
  • Many thanks for all the great tips Paul. I might remove the whole motor but just a bit concerned about getting the top pulley back in the correct position. I could also replace the motor springs which I doubt would make much difference but might cover me if I damage one on removal.
    That cut out by hand could be beyond my modest skills ( though I do know of a good joiner). Also bamboo splinters easily and can be hard to work with.
    Good luck with the plinth venture - it will give people another option instead of slate which is everywhere now !
  • No worries Mervyn.  The pulley assembly really is quite straightforwards.  The middle collar is slackened and dropped on the shaft, the lower collar...ditto, the puley is screwed off and the motor dropped out.  Assembly is the reversal (plus the linkage reassembly) and can be easily done by eye with a few adjustments.  Replaced one today for a customers deck which I'm servicing and I had no trouble lining everything up perfectly.

Bamboo would (wood) be difficult to cut neatly but not impossible with the right tools.

Agree RE slate...its a depressing colour too (!) and is  "so last year"  ;)

Solid Oak, Red Cherry and Rosewood are the future!  Oh...and Zebrano is pretty stunning too. 
  • Completion day arrived today...

completed plinth with hole cut for arm and 6 coats of lacquer applied followed by a beeswax polish:

Garrard and arm installed:

Arm set up with Hifi News Test LP and finally some records playing:

Just the acrylic plinth to have made up and job done...except that I'll change the cartridge.  I found that the DL110 was a little short in the body for the arm and getting it aligned meant moving the headshell all the way to the limit of adjustment.

Motor isolation is superb although rapping the plinth does result in feedback to the arm;  I can live with that as the rumble and noise from the Garrard is non existent and the sound is pretty darned good now.
  • The 401 looks very much at home in that plinth Paul.
  • A thing of beauty that.
    Absolutely bloomin' marvellous. I almost don't care what it sounds like.
    Almost.
  • Thanks chaps.  Will be replacing the cartridge soon and in keeping with the Garrard vintage may search out a Shure M95HE in good nick for it.  The Denon is good but was bought as a stopgap. I prefer the more extended mids and slightly darker presentation of the Shure cartridges.
  • A thing of beauty that.
    Absolutely bloomin' marvellous. I almost don't care what it sounds like.
    Almost.
    You'll have to come over for a listen as you're just 15 miles up the road!
  • Would absolutely love to thanks.

(As long as when I return the favour I'm not obliged to manufacture my own TT. :-/ )
  • You're not obliged to build your own TT but if you'd like to have a crack at a tonearm, that'd be a good start  ;)
  • I'll make a start with a couple of biros and some Sellotape...
  • How about one of those straws with a bend in it? :-)
  • Blimey Dave, that's genius...!
  • mmmmm...there may be a few issues with compliance matching!
  • Hi Paul excellent build. The 401 flush fitted gives it a very clean cut uncluttered look and with the Hadcock it just looks right which for me usually means it sounds right !
    Not sure if you have considered a Decca - not everyone's cup of tea but a 401/unipivot is I think custom made for one.

I started on my 401 motor at the weekend but struggled with removing the 2 bottom clam nuts - what did you use ?
    I oiled the top bearing through the 3 flywheel holes and while it did not make a big sonic difference the eddy brake had to be adjusted back towards the centre confirming the oil had lubed the top bearing.
    Thanks
  • Hi Mervin

Thanks for your kind words!

You can (carefully!) use some long nosed pliers to gently loosen the nuts as they shouldn't be over-tightened.  Just be very careful when re-assembling not to damage the nuts or over-tighten.  Do each up a little at a time in turn.

I have considered the London Decca carts but budgets beig what they are have just purchased a minty Shure M95HE which I reckon will also be an excellent match.  It should arrive tomorrow so we'll see!