Hearing damage?

JimJim
edited August 2012 in Other stuff
I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning using my power tools, specifically my table saw.

I took a break and went to sit with a cold drink and play some music. The system sounded off somehow, distorted and with limited dynamic range.  I didn't make the connection at first, but last night it occurred to me that I may have temporarily hurt my ears.  Nothing obvious like ringing.

I've done nothing today and just had a listen to the system - it's all back to normal now.

Ear-defenders for me from now on!

Comments

• Especially when you listen to Bob Buzz-saw voice
    :D
  • Your hearing is really precious, and definately worth caring for. Last year I helped my father in law lay a foundation for a large workshop, which involved using a large pneumatic hammer to smash hardcore.

My tinnitus, which has always been really a background issue, is noticably more intrusive as a result. It is thankfully still a non issue, but is scared me how easily it was affected.

I even wear headphones when driving the van now, with or without sounds - I just want to deaden the noise.
  • Agreed Alan.  I use my tools a lot.  I have noticed a dropping off of level as the years have pressed on but I've never noticed anything as obvious as what happened yesterday.  A friend who manufactures HiFi uses ear defenders for nearly everything involving tools.  I always thought it was a bit extreme TBH.

I bought some ear defenders to use with my RCM - they attenuate across the frequency range by 30dB.  But they'll stay in the workshop now.

Best of all they were less than £10 delivered.
    Funnily enough His Bobness sounded normal...
  • D'ya have a linky for your ear defenders mate? Could be useful, them!
    Funnily enough His Bobness sounded normal...
    Normal????
  • Speak up!  I didn't quite get that!

Unfortunately for me, I learned a bit too late that undertaking any activity for too long which causes you to have to raise your voice to be heard can result in hearing damage.  In my case, an inappropriate set of ear defenders (ie they didn't work) caused me to lose part of my hearing in my left ear during a clay pigeon shooting session a few years back.  I had left my usual ones at home and took the spare DIY ones I use for ...err DIY from the back of the car.  They weren't up to limiting the shock from 75 12g shells going off to within acceptable limits and permanent tinnitus and hearing damage was the result.

Always wear APPROPRIATE ear defenders kiddie-winkies, advice from someone who's paid the price of not doing that! 
  • I went to the doctors about hearing loss. He asked me what the symptoms were - I said a yellow cartoon family.
  • Sorry but this is officially a joke-free thread