signing in

edited August 2012 in Say hello
hello, i,m chris. been reading here a while and decided to sign in as appears sensible.
Currently using laptop,young dac and teddyreg supply, one of colin's 20watt seca amps bought from paul and impulse lalis. Top draw amp wife hates the look ,all the better for me so do most people!

Comments

• Hi Chris.
    Thanks for the intro'.
    :-)
    Ben
  • Thank you ben,
  • hello, i,m chris. been reading here a while and decided to sign in as appears sensible.
    Currently using laptop,young dac and teddyreg supply, one of colin's 20watt seca amps bought from paul and impulse lalis. Top draw amp wife hates the look ,all the better for me so do most people!

Hi Chris, welcome to Chews. Pretty intriguing little system you have there, especially amp & speakers - what sort of music do you like?
  • Hello Alan,
    Listen to anything really , current favourites Glenn Hughes, Erykah Badu,Gary Moore, and been spending a lot of time on spotify,just so much choice. Equipment has been down sized considerably really recently, but this is exceptionally good, amp and speakers work very nicely. No record spinner at the moment so probably 700 odd records idle.
  • Hello Chris and how is the beasty doing is it settling in OK.
    Nice to see you here have fun, oh watch out somebody here likes the piano yuk.

Col

he he
  • Hi col,
    Best amp I've owned. It will keep me warm in the winter months lol. Will put some pics up.

Chris
  • edited August 2012
    Do that Chris, it'd be interesting to see.

Does a SECA play piano music well? Col thinks all pianos should sound like electric guitars! :D
  • Piano and SECA never mix the combination is not eco friendly it sucks the power grid dry, and the fact it also sounds like the nagging of a past wife never helped.
  • edited August 2012
    http://m1249.photobucket.com/albums/christray1/

doesn't look bad and neat wiring
    ;)
  • Nice what is the front ? Aluminium or stone?
  • Stone Colin.
  • edited August 2012
    Stone Colin.
    Now there's an idea! :-?

"Are there any women here today?"

[deep voices]No, no...no women![/deep voices]
  • Python lol, be interested to know why the choice on stone. I can only assume because of the heat generated it does get extremely hot. Be nice to get some info on the amp from Colin when he has time.
    Regards Chris
  • edited September 2012
    The photos are on Facecrap the one you have is the smallest at 20W SECA design, the large one is 300W Mono SECA design. 180Kgs 1.8M tall, the stone was just for looks and cleaning.
    The are all based on the Inca Design ID15,25,50 from the 1980s Why ID well see "The Forbidden Planet" movie a tongue in cheek name, sorry Dan.
    The first was a 15W that Chris Frankland tried followed by a private review with Martin Column with the Elsdon Wonfor Designs. In the days when FET,s were tiny, The one you have has FET,s rated at 200V 55A the first were 150V 15A and yours has 5 of them. We used that many to keep the SOA sensible each idles at about 1Amp. 
    The new TQ ones have a dynamic PSU with very low ripple, The New Mono will be out soon at 45W, And to be followed by a integrated in Jan 2013. Fun Fun
    Oh none are the Mullard designs that some Not Very Able companies use from the 1970 or are based on JLH or Nelson Pass designs. They are based on a design from the 1970s and started life as power supply loads when I worked for a company that designed 55V 100,000A chargers for BT (5.5MW). mere toys now he he

Best Col

• Thanks Colin.
    Your new design must be excellent if it improves on my 20watter. Just out of interest if I were to try your cables which would you consider to be best with the toca. Also in future if i wanted to improve the toca how about a rewire in tq cable. What do you think ? Any reason why class A as oppopsed to ab, d or whatever, other than you consider it superior in Sonics. I do

Regards Chris
  • Chris - that amp looks da bizznizz, is it Paul Quicks old one? I was so tempted when it was for sale, it was such a good price and Paul is an excellent guy as well. If it is the same one, I'm glad it went to a good home.

You just need some Impulse H2's now!
  • It is indeed Paul's amp, h2's I looked for some for a couple of months no luck. So bought the lali's instead still very nice. You had the chance to compare your young with the jkenny dac32 yet be interested in your thoughts.
  • It is indeed Paul's amp, h2's I looked for some for a couple of months no luck. So bought the lali's instead still very nice. You had the chance to compare your young with the jkenny dac32 yet be interested in your thoughts.
    No, I haven't, and TBH I probably won't. The lack of an additional optical input (for TV) is an issue (and probably a co-ax for DVD etc), and besides all my HiFi money is tied up with an amp I'm having rebuilt. I think you should try it & tell me...  ;)
  • Might put my name to the tour list on pfm if it is still possible chap.
  • edited September 2012
    Modded: See SECA and Passives thread.