passive pre with seca

edited August 2012 in Amplifiers
Asked this on the signing in thread. I apologise.
Been looking at the goldpoint passives they seem reasonably priced just to try. My amp has 47k input I think,so which value volume pot would be best to use . They have several values, and does anyone have experience with the goldpoints.
Regards Chris.

Comments

• Hi Chris,

Is it the 20W SECA from Paul?
    I will check records but I think it's input impedance is 10K Ohm.

Best Col
  • Yes Colin that's the one cheers
  • Hi Chris,

I've used 10 and 22k pots with no problems.

Not tried the Goldpoints, but should be good.

Paul.

• Hi Paul and Chris

That will be OK, did you use a ALPS Paul or a Penny and Giles?

Col
  • Hi Paul, hope your ok the seca is still great . Not tried passive before , you think it's the way to go.
    Cheers Chris
  • Have used Alps Col, but prefer Sfernice p11 cemet track or the Panasonic pots. Never tried a P & G

The transparancy with a passive pot will be outstanding Chris. I still prefer to use it with my Inca Designs ID1P, but then it depends on which pre you are using i suppose.

Tried a very well regarded Conrad Johnson pre a while back and didnt like it all all......totally killed the music.

Paul.

• No pre at all at the moment, laptop young straight to power. I'm relatively new to computer audio and just wondered if a passive pre would be better than the volume control on the laptop.
    Chris.
  • Beware! I ran laptop into Young into monoblocks. It sounded great, and ran without problems for months.

Then, one day, the software crashed and a full-power electronic scream blew two loudspeakers. Bang!
  • I would think the other trouble with lap top/pc volume the noise ratio would increase as the volume was reduced.
    Dave does this happen?

• Paul have you tried step attenuation type with fixed resistors?
    Did Alan have a LDR volume type I wonder how that performed?
    I wonder if a lower impedance type would give a better top end response I suspect it should.

• I do have an LDR, it is very good - better than a twin mono cermet pot passive.

Dave and I both had a cheaper LDR a year or more ago which was also good, but they both failed. This could have been because we were using aftermarket power supplies though.

I got a lightspeed which I really like, but have also run my system 'pre-less'. It sounds marginally better that way, but a decent LDR pre is almost invisible in the system, so I am happy to have it there as a safeguard, for the reason Dave described. Also, I have more than one digital source going into my DAC, so software volume control won't work for me.

I have my repaired & rebuilt EVA still, its a remote control three input LDR pre - I haven't gotten around to selling it yet. Quite happy to loan it out for a demo if Chris is interested?
  • Hi Alan ,
    I would be interested in trying the Eva if that's ok, would like a volume pot for the obvious reasons stated but not if it reduces enjoyment so to speak.I no knowledge of ldrs
    Regards Chris
  • Sure thing mate - PM me your address details & I'll get something sorted for you. Postage shouldn't be too much. Do you need an extra set of interconnect cables?

LDR is just a another type of passive pre - when I get some time I can explain a bit more - unless someone else wants a go?
  • Hi Alan,
    Not shure if Colin checked my amp input impedance which could be as low as 10k ohm. Will it still be suitable to try?
  • Chris,

Sorry I did check it is 10K been a bit busy with hospital etc.

Col
  • I don't know mate, I believe the Lightspeed is recommended for use with amps with an input impedance of 47Kohm, I don't know about Eva. I will try to find out this week.
  • Thanks Colin, no problem and cheers Alan
  • Ok chaps,
    Anyone tried the akustyk passives they lookwell built and reasonably priced? And also source is a young dac outputing 2.65mvs can't find impedance and amp input 10k . Is the 5k pot best sorry for asking again.
    Chris
  • I don't even know how one works this out?! Col? Paul?...

I am happy to lend EVA to you, I just don't know how to ascertain if 'she' will work.
  • Hi Chris,

2.65mvs please read spec again, is it 2.65Vrms at full O/P?
    Col
  • edited September 2012
    Yup - it's a hot ouput on the Young.
  • edited September 2012
    See product spec here:

Output voltage: 2,65Vrms (7.5Vpp @ 0dBFS) - from spec.
  • Woo hell that is high need to reduce that a wee bit for the SECA
    Will find you something.
  • am i struggling with trying to use a passive  . 
  • edited September 2012
    Maybe use some RCA attenuators?  (Not so big in real life!)

• Hang in there it will work and sound bloody amazing.
    I will find a nice POT and a pretty box and work it for you. So hang on it does take time for me, ticker is giving starting problems again. Must be wrong octane fuel.

• OK that will work 
    Maybe use some RCA attenuators?

• I'm prepared to wait col until you have time and get it right. Just let me know cost involved.
    Thanks once again Chris
  • PM address Chris
  • Ive got the Young dac too.
    Not sure if I have tried it with a passive, but i've got a 22k pot in a box here somewhere, so will try it out and let you know what its like.

Paul.
  • Thank you paul,
    Is the issue the amount of volume rotation before the amp clips. For example only say 9 o'clock before being to loud because of to much output from the dac. Excuse my ignorance.
    Chris
  • Hi Chris,

The amp is set for 1.00VRMS for max power and your DAC is 2.?lot VRMS just a shade to much, but Bob and I can fix it.

8-}

Best Col
  • So am I right in thinking that for the volume control to work correctly it needs to work across its entire range without causing the amp to overload. For a passive to work it needs to be designed specifically for the the source its being fed and the amp receiving the signal, so it can only ever really be a single input device. Or am I an idiot lol.(probably) this is all very interesting for me with no technical knowledge.
    Chris
  • I think that if the amp is designed for a passive then you'll be alright. Most sources are line - level (2v), so once a volume pot is selected to give a suitable range of attenuation than there won't be much difference between sources.

OK so the Young is a little hot so will be a touch louder than a normal CD player, but it is Italian! Full of excitement!

My lightspeed passive is only a single input device, the Young acts as a digital source selector (HiFi/TV/DVD).