Andy Murray

edited June 2012 in Other stuff
What is it with our tennis players ?  nearly men
just watched Murray go out of the French open ...........this guys gonna end up just like Timmy - winning fuck all i fear.

Comments

• So no winning in SW19 this year, then?
  • Not while Nadal and Federer are around i feel
  • I think you're right.
  • So Andy Murray is out of the French open. He is blaming the cold, windy conditions on his exit, stating it affected his game.

You learned how to play tennis in Scotland, Andy....
  • Alan,

You sure he learned to play tennis ??  LOL

Scotty
  • Yeah. He can get a hole in one! :-)
  • Oh and dont forget Djokovic and Tsonga whos getting stronger and stronger
  • Murray has had the physical game to win grand slams for the last year in my opinion.  It's just that a) he cannot maintain focus over the course of a set and b) I don't think he really believes that he can win a grand slam. 

No amount of coaching can help with either of these points.  That's the difference between Murray and the likes of Nadal, who has that winning mindset.

So how long before Andy joins Timmy doing Persil adverts?

• Murray has had the physical game to win grand slams for the last year in my opinion.  It's just that a) he cannot maintain focus over the course of a set and b) I don't think he really believes that he can win a grand slam. 

No amount of coaching can help with either of these points.  That's the difference between Murray and the likes of Nadal, who has that winning mindset.

So how long before Andy joins Timmy doing Persil adverts?

+1
    It's a general problem in British sport I reckon, that psychological aspect. Tho' I think, Murray aside, there are some signs of improvement.
    As a Taff, I've been pleased to see the welsh rugby team developing the steely mental resolve necessary to success, tho even they choked at crucial moments in the RWC :-( . I get the impression that the gb cycling and swimming teams are getting more mentally tough too, tho I know less of these. I think I'm right in saying that these 3 examples all have a foreign (Australasian?) manager in common.
    I'm not sure how exactly one develops that kind of positive professional winning culture. In the case of the welsh rugby team developing it from youth level (accademies) appears to have been important. Our upcoming test series against the crims will show us how much progress has been made - the likes of oz and even more so nz have always been the benchmark for the winning mentality.
    As you say, too late I fear, for andy Murray. He will require an unprecedented purple patch or a fortunate collapse in the performance of key openents to secure a grand slam win.
  • Watching nz v Ireland. Nz win these games with their mental composure and psychological performance under the pressure of a game situation. Their decision making is top notch, and seems unaffected by whatever the opposition or occasion might do to other, less mentally tough, teams.
  • Well Wales did a Murray this morning. A below par performance, during which, for what I can only imagine to be psychological reasons, we completely failed to play to our potential, against an admittedly good Ozzie side.
    Ho-hum.
  • I guess it happens.
  • Yes Dave, yes.
    But why? Why?

Why?
  • Too much sheep shagging at a formative age?
    8-}
  • No. A ridiculous and preposterous suggestion, Dave.

It's not possible to have TOO much sheep shagging.
  • Your apology will be considered by both the national assembly for Wales and the WSPPAL (welsh society for the preservation and the promoting of agricultural love) later in the week.
  • I'll do my best to look sheepish. Baa!
  • So Murray is out at Queens already. What hope Wimbledon? Bring back Andrew Castle.
  • Murray was looking good early on in the first set but you just know it's going to end in more tears!
  • Just as well I don't gamble, brilliant television last night and well into the morning, what an epic summer of sport we have been treated to!
    Well done Andy Murray.
  • Brilliant result.  Really pleased for him.
  • edited September 2012
    Wow! He finally got there.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Will be interesting to see how this affects Murray's confidence levels playing against Djokovic and (especially) Nadal on different surfaces.  I think Murray has the physical game and perhaps this win will sort his mindset out as well.
  • His coach reckons he can be one of the very best. Great result for him, finally he can smile a bit more! :)
  • Yes. Pleasing to see him enjoying success.
    I didn't see the match, but hopefully he can build confidence on breaking his grand slam duck.