The Mac Audio Server to beat all Mac Audio Servers?

edited January 2011 in Digital
Having the Young DAC in my system for the past few weeks has had far more far-reaching effects than anticipated.

The Mac mini G4 fell by the wayside as I needed a platform than would run OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). That enables me to run AyreWave and Audirvana, as better-sounding alternatives to iTunes and also the Young's own USB driver.

I had three choices: buy a new Mac for a server, put my newly acquired MacBook Air into service as a part-time server, or not sell my White MacBook and use that.

The two laptops obviously have the advantage of cutting noisy mains power out of the picture. The Air has 2GB RAM, while the White has 4GB; the Air has a 1.4Ghz processor, while the White has a 2.1Ghz processor. 

I'm not being paid by the word here, so I'll cut to the chase. The White /10.6 combination knocks the mini/10.4 combination into the middle of last year, playing iTunes. Absolutely astonishing!

But the real kicker is that the Air is almost as good again. And it isn't difficult to see why. It's 100% solid-state, and although I've seen what looks like a tiny fan in an exploded view of the Air's innards, I've never been able to hear any mechanical noise or other evidence of it doing anything - after all, the Mac aluminium unibody is one great heatsink. Battery life can be better than specified, so it's great for long listening sessions.

I suspect it really needs as good a DAC as the Young to really draw out the goodies from the Air. Together, they come to just less than £2K. If such a sum can be a bargain, I think they are one.

And together they sound effortless, dramatic, tangible and room-filling. They time and drive perfectly, or lay back with an air of nonchalance, depending on the music.

Custom Mac media servers are a little thin on the ground, and cost about twice the £1K asking price of the Air. I'd like to compare the Air to one, but it's hard to see where the improvements are going to come from. And £1K buys a lot of high-res files ;-)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Good point Dave. I can't go completely 'no-compromise', but I want to make some wise decisions.

My plans revolve around my 2009 MACMini, which has a 2.26 core 2 duo processor. It needs:
    1. SSD hard drive - not too large, only really needs to run OSX 10.6.5, and AyreWave.
    2. 8GB RAM - not the boutique stuff but bog standard gear. Will be needed with larger files & memory play.
    3. Power conditioning.
    The last was suggested by a Computer Audiophile chap, who rates the improvement as highly as a linear power supply. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180605861568&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. I already have a large power thingy for all my digital gear, this would just go between that & the brick.

I can't invest much more in this system, and hope I won't need to.
  • There's usually something better out there, but you have to find your own balance.

I'd go 1, 3, 2. SSD will almost certainly help, 3 is cheap and I'd wait to see if I really needed all that RAM.

'Invest' is such a weasel word. I've come to terms with 'spend' 
    $-)
  • edited January 2011
    You would, my richest friend...

:P

I just looked at a MACMini power cord for sale - it isn't a simple twin & earth configuration, so I don't know if I could fit one myself.

imageimage
  • You know, re-reading the above I think I just confused myself. The power filter will split the mains cable before the power supply brick - so each side of the filter will be twin & earth...

L-)
  • You being As Thick as a Brick, Mr Tull?
  • I'd be very careful with any mains filter thingys Alan.  I've tried plenty, though not this one, over the years and they all sit on dynamics and mask low level detail.  They also adversely affect the timing.

These I know work - I've A-B'd them at a friend's house.  But are not filters in the conventional sense.

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/balanced-power-supplies.asp

I'll get myself one when I get around to it.

Just my tuppence...
  • That's interesting Jim - thank you for adding that.

Did you use the filtering on amplifiers? I am aware they don't respond well to this sort of thing - but I was under the (mis)apprehension(?) that digital components like all the filtering/conditioning etc?

The idea behind this kind of filter, according to the chap on computer audiophile who recommended it, is as much to prevent noise & such re-entering the mains as it is to improve the supply to the MAC.

Do balancing transformers perform the same role as an isolation transformer? (- please forgive my ignorance, but I've learned not to be scared of it!) I've seen mention of 'hospital grade isolation transformers' several times on CA as beneficial additions to MAC based systems but the links are always to very pricey commercial US gear.

What sort of application would those balancing transformers have? Would they help to isolate the nasties from the MAC to the rest of the system, or do you envisage an improvement for the MAC also? Or are they more for amplifiers?

I also have seen it recommended to have the computer & the DAC on separate power sockets/distribution blocks as DACs can pick up on nasties as well. I had been tempted to try one of the filters on my MAC, then another on the DAC later. It even crossed my mind to fit one to the fridge, as I'm not too worried about the dynamics there!

I currently have all my gear (incl TV etc) plugged in to one of these, with the amp directly into a switchless socket:
    http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/p74595_ap21300-12_manual.pdf

• It won't be long and I'll be at the end of techinical knowledge, but I'll try anyway...

I understand a balanced transformer to work on the "equal and opposite cancelling out principle".  That is when noise is present on the mains (of which there is plenty) it will be cancelled.  Something to do with not being inducted to the other side of the transformer I think.  I could very easily be wrong.

There's plenty of mentions on a number of other forums.  Have a Google, you're bound to get a better explanation than my attempt.

What I do know is that the preferred method of connection is to get the transformer at the correct rating and run the entire system off it.  This is what my friend does, he went for a 1.5kva and it works a treat - very noticeable to my ears.

I did notice a very large improvement when we moved down here last September from South London.  Much less hash and it sounds cleaner.  Thus far I haven't made any attempt to deal with the mains - not really felt the need.
  • According to my Belkin thing, My entire system minus the amp draws 0.8a at full pelt, including the TV as monitor!!!!

I don't know about the amp's draw, but it has 4 trafos on it, 2x240va & 2x260va. It's designer reckons no power conditioning at all, so I've never experimented.

On the little inline filter doobrie - even with the benefit of a balanced transformer there may be merit to additionally isolating the noisy urchins - MAC, NAS...maybe?
  • edited January 2011
    It won't be long and I'll be at the end of techinical knowledge, but I'll try anyway...

I understand a balanced transformer to work on the "equal and opposite cancelling out principle".  That is when noise is present on the mains (of which there is plenty) it will be cancelled.  Something to do with not being inducted to the other side of the transformer I think.  I could very easily be wrong.

I understand that Jim, Thank you. I believe that is an 'isolation
    transformer', or at least close enough. The 'puterphiles that have tried
    them reckon they're as good as a high quality linear power supply.
  • Please don't ask me the difference but I'm as certain as I can be that an isolation transformer is quite a different thing to a balanced transformer.

• I had three choices: buy a new Mac for a server, put my newly acquired MacBook Air into service as a part-time server, or not sell my White MacBook and use that.

The two laptops obviously have the advantage of cutting noisy mains power out of the picture. The Air has 2GB RAM, while the White has 4GB; the Air has a 1.4Ghz processor, while the White has a 2.1Ghz processor. 

I'm not being paid by the word here, so I'll cut to the chase. The White /10.6 combination knocks the mini/10.4 combination into the middle of last year, playing iTunes. Absolutely astonishing!

But the real kicker is that the Air is almost as good again. And it isn't difficult to see why. It's 100% solid-state, and although I've seen what looks like a tiny fan in an exploded view of the Air's innards, I've never been able to hear any mechanical noise or other evidence of it doing anything - after all, the Mac aluminium unibody is one great heatsink. Battery life can be better than specified, so it's great for long listening sessions.

Dave

Were you still using AyreWave on the MacBooks, or running iTunes directly into the Young?  I'm very interested in this, as I'm edging towards getting a new Mac Mini for audio duties, feeding digits via my HiFace Evo.

Cheers!
  • I'm actually using the Audirvana at the moment because AW keeps crashing on me. AW does sound better, though, so I'll be returning once the problem is sorted.

I'd seriously consider a Mac laptop, though. The battery power seems to make a difference, although I haven't tried the latest Mac mini. My plan at the moment is to buy a second MacBook Air, but configured with 4GB RAM and 64GB flash drive, rather than the 2GB RAM and 128GB flash drive model that I'm typing on at the moment.

Provided the Young DAC gets sorted, as I'm sure it will, the Air/AW/Young combination is fantastic. Easily better than anything we achieved at the Bake-Off show.

HTH

• Interesting Dave - I gave Audivirna a go yesterday and the sound keeps dropping out every 3 or 4 seconds, whereas AW is pretty much totally stable. I uninstalled AV, re-downloaded, but to no avail. Shame, because the AV controller thing's quite funky. :)

As a general point, using AW via USB/HiFace into the Dacmagic it's easily the best I've heard digital audio in my system (using an aluminium 2009 MacBook/2.4Ghz/4G memory).
  • Would any of you guys like to compare Amarra to PM Ayrewware,Audiovarna ,Twilight, I can send out some iloks with temporary licences, which will enable you to listen without interruption?
    I would be interested in your thoughts .
    Keith.
  • I'd love to Keith, but I simply don't know when I will get more time. It's hard enough concentrating on gear I am actually auditioning right now.

Amarrra does look interesting - if there isn't much take up of your offer I'll have a go with it to compare with AyreWave. Does it uninstall easily from a mac?
  • Would any of you guys like to compare Amarra to PM Ayrewware,Audiovarna ,Twilight, I can send out some iloks with temporary licences, which will enable you to listen without interruption?
    I would be interested in your thoughts .
    Keith.
    Yes, please Keith.
  • Alan Hi, yes there is 'uninstall' in the 'extras' folder.I will post Monday, I prefer using playlist and cache ( memory play ) but the world is your lobster.
    Keith.
  • I only have 2GB RAM at the moment - is that OK?
  • I only have 2GB RAM at the moment - is that OK?
    As a side issue. Are you OK taking your mini apart? 
  • I have watched the tutorial videos on 'interweb. I would be happy putting in more RAM & a SSD HD. I worry at the putting files back into the internal HD point..

I have had 'carbon copy' recommended to me.
  • OK. That's good.

I couple of thoughts from experience of upgrading my G4 and 2009 minis. I found it easier to use a pizza cutter to open the case - just start it off and roll in and along. The AirPort and Bluetooth cards need to be treated carefully.
  • edited January 2011
    Got it. Mmmmmmmmmm...Pizza...what did you say about computers?

Oh yeah - open it up with a can opener - got it.
  • Or a pneumatic drill if they have one in your local hire shop  :-D
  • Prodding the Discussion back towards its original intent...

The MacBook Air doesn't have a FireWire socket, so it won't do the business for owners of Weiss and similar DACs.