Hi Fi Insurance

edited November 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
I'm sure we did this before somewhere, but it's on my mind today: Contents Insurance (yes - something boring and actually practical on a HiFi forum - Who'dathunkit?)

I am a cheapskate. I get contents insurance only (because I rent), and for the last four or five years this has been through the AA. The first year they charged me £35. The next year £70. Each year subsequently has been £70 or thereabouts (£68.18 this year). Is this cover any good for HiFi? I don't know, I've never had to claim.

Each year I seek confirmation that the HiFi is covered - Yes they say, up to a (single item) value of £1500 (It costs little to register single items in excess of that value). So that's £1500, per item - purchase price even if that is second hand. So if I have, say, an amp bought for £800, which would cost £3000 to replace, that is fine, as the policy is a new-for old cover. They definitely view the HiFi system as a collection of separate items, rather than as a single entity.

Extras are cheap, and available - like accidental damage cover, and cheap or free breakdown cover.

Please note I have not claimed, so I don't know how good they would be in the event of a claim. Nor do I get commission for recommending them. I just thought it was a good deal for decent cover.

Comments

• They definitely view the HiFi system as a collection of separate items, rather than as a single entity.
    I checked this very issue with my insurers a few years back. The guy I spoke to said they would regard individual pieces of kit as separate items, but I'm never sure if these people on the phone really understand/care about the subtleties of the points that I try to make, or understand what they subesequently talk about.
    Good to read that you've got a similar impression though.
  • Yup. I've been told that the system is treated as individual items.
  • Same here. Direct Line have a very high 'per item' claim limit that is way beyond the value of anything I own. Every time I renew I check this with them. They are more concerned about jewellery being called out as named items on the policy.