Royd RR3 positioning

edited November 2012 in Loudspeakers
This discussion was created from comments split from: Listening to ....

Comments

• Bill Laswell & Jah Wobble - Radioaxiom

I've been getting unfeasible amounts of bass out of the RR3s. I keep looking for the sub-woofer, but it sounds much too good for one of those :-)
    Nice!

How do have yours placed at the moment? Distance from side & rear walls etc?

Mine are singing in the mid and upper bass, but slightly ploddy lower down at the moment, although I have a sick tweeter which may be upsetting the balance (and therefore have prompted incorrect positioning on my part). New tweeter (last NOS unit ever from manufacturer) arriving next week!
  • They're a bit further into the room than they were, but distance from side walls is limited by Col's loan UBs. Must get in touch with Jim, as mine are the same length as the Graphites.

What happened to your tweeter?
  • edited November 2012
    It's fine at low volume, but doesn't get louder in line with the system as a whole. It may prove to be the Xover cap, but the Xover in these RR3s are pretty minimal, so I guess it could have got damaged in the past when these rigid interconnects broke and caused that full range howl.

If the tweeter doesn't do it then it will be the capacitor, but I will have a spare tweeter.

How far would say to your back wall? I am using mine a bit closer than I used to.
  • They're in front of cupboards in alcoves, so they're a bit less than a metre out in the room, and about half the depth of the cupboards away from the cupboards, if that makes sense.
  • It does. I think that's a pretty ideal situation for them actually.
    Here, I have one semi in front of an alcove, the (large) alcove
    asymmetrically in between them speakers, then the other in front of a
    fire-place, so artificially close to a boundary.

• edited November 2012
    Fffts! Amateur...  :O)