TQ Blue Speaker Cables

edited July 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
This discussion was created from comments split from: Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable.

Comments

• Does TQ Blue have the same sort of character as the Black? I will need another run of cables for Bi-amping soon and wondered if the Blues lost out to the Blacks in HF?

I ask because my last cables only changed the number of cores as you went up the range - the actual material and design was the same so you got the same character from the whole range. The basic cable was all that was required to feed tweeters for Bi-amping.

Is TQ similar in this respect?
  • I don't know, but I'm sure Col is around here somewhere.
  • edited May 2012
    I am lurking as per norm, 
    Sorry Alan the Black and the blue only share one thing the profile, everything else is different.
    The Green shares some characteristics of the Blue and Black, 
    The Ultra Black is a very much better version of the Black.
    Graphite is so so different and hellish to make, with a richness and detail unsurpassed by more expensive cables.
    But I am sure you can more from you local dealer.

There is s few folk on other forums that have upgraded that are selling Black give them a read.

:-c
  • I have been using the TQBlue for a while now, & I'm very happy with it in my system.
    My understanding of the blue vs black is that the blue is a tad smoother sounding with a slightly rolled off treble compared to the Black which has a wider bandwidth & brighter treble.
    Obviously Colin is the real authority on these matters & so I will happily bow to his knowledge if I'm out of line.
    I'd be interested in trying a Blue vs Black comparison in my system one day.
    Matt.
  • Hi Matt,
    On some systems you are correct, I say some systems because I have not heard them all.
    I believe the Black sounds amazing on R.D's NVA amps, which is nice to hear.
    It also so I have been told sound great on Naim and Claymore amps.
    We also tried it on spit cough a Sanyo 1977 Music Centre it was amazing, after the bell wire supplied.
    Col

• Ultra Black sounds even better, as does Green :-)
  • Hi Dave, 

Did you enjoy the story I sent on PDF??

Col

:-@ Yeah yeah yeah... 

Thanks Col, for the info. It was just a thought, I'm not surprised to hear what you say. Even if I get lucky second hand it'll cost a pretty penny to go Black again, but it may still be a long term goal. I just need a more 'budget' cable to start me off after getting the amps. Everything I have read about the Blue seems to indicate that while it very good, it's character is quite fullsome in the bass, so perhaps not the first choice for my tweeters then.
  • Hi Dave, 

Did you enjoy the story I sent on PDF??

Col
    I must admit, I haven't read it yet. I was away at the weekend and didn't take anything larger than my iPhone to connect to t'interwebs. Not good for reading PDFs.

It's on the list, Col ;-)

Oops!

Thanks Col, for the info. It was just a thought, I'm not surprised to hear what you say. Even if I get lucky second hand it'll cost a pretty penny to go Black again, but it may still be a long term goal. I just need a more 'budget' cable to start me off after getting the amps. Everything I have read about the Blue seems to indicate that while it very good, it's character is quite fullsome in the bass, so perhaps not the first choice for my tweeters then.
    The Bass fools you it sounds full but some edges are not there and the low frequency details are bunched up, it is good but if you like attack on bass then not Blue.
    But since the edges are in the mid to top, use Blue or Green on the Bass. And tell me how you find it, have you still got those nice NVA amps it should be very good.

:-h
  • edited May 2012

Ultra Black sounds even better, as does Green :-)
    Go Go Graphite, you are rich Dave, (with friends) or Bi-Amp Graphite then I could buy some new tyres.

• For the Ferarri Col?
  •  
    Ultra Black sounds even better, as does Green :-)
    Go Go Graphite, you are rich Dave, (with friends) or Bi-Amp Graphite then I could buy some new tyres.

One day, Col, but not this week ;-)
  • No for the 10 yr old modified Scenic, with its 2.2L Turbo Diesel running on H2O + Diesel 165HP 140MPH, and that just in Tesco's Car Park, with disable badge, (heavy badge) =))
  • edited May 2012
    Definitely not for that :-)

I've just insured the Burple Beast - not pleasant on a Japanese grey import - and have Road Robbery to pay this month as well. May is car expenditure month for me.
  • You just wait until my 10 yr old Volvo is back on the road - I'll show you all a clean set of glow plugs!!

After the new turbo, EGR, number plate, MOT & tax... You will all eat my soot! MuaHahahahahaaa... :ar!

• The Beast is older than your ovloV, I'll have you know! Born in 1998, it were.
  • For the Ferarri Col?

Jim buy 8 sets of Graphite 20M lengths  I could buy a second hand Marina, great car and breed rust worms. Please please uncle Jim

• =)) =))

I'm cable sorted Col. But Dave is gonna bring his TQs here for a comparison. He just doesn't know it yet!!
  • Jim is determinedly borrowing all the bits for a killer second system, using nothing but the power of suggestion and torlyte platform loans...
  • Busted!!!
  • =)) =))

I'm cable sorted Col. But Dave is gonna bring his TQs here for a comparison. He just doesn't know it yet!!
    I've only got one set of UBs Jim.
  • I've only got one set of Lowthers
    B-)
  • But you'll want them on your bass drivers, too. :-)
  • For comparison sake it would best to use the Lowthers I reckon.

We could compare the Kimber to the TQ and maybe the NVA you have too?

We'll work it out I'm sure.
  • Maybe. I'm planning to sell the LS5 to part-finance the Supravox fix.
  • Hi All

Just bought a 3.5m pair of TQ Blues to see what they were like compared to my DIY pair. Any feel for how much running-in is required ?

Have put in about 6-7 hours of music listening, also, 2 hours on each cable with a sig. gen. at 400kHz Square wave and 10V p-p .

So far they're good lower down , but lacking a fair bit in the treble, but then my existing stuff is pretty tweaky - litz & cotton . Any info appreciated.

Mark

• I've not tried the Blues, but I would expect them to take a bit longer than you've tried.

Maybe Col can give chapter and verse, though.
  • Hooray !
    I can post on here now, discovered that if I right-click on the page and change Encoding from 'Unicode' to 'Western European ( Windows )' it all works a lot quicker .

Yes, I like the TQ Blue a lot, although the top-end doesn't match my litz, but it does outclass some other cheapish speaker wires very badly, as I found at my buddy Len's house the other day ( using Klipsch LaScalas ) . However I think it's nicely balanced with good extended bass , the TQ 'coherence thing' and a slightly flattering tone .

For myself, the situation has now got out of control, with loaned Ultra Black in the room, you can amuse yourself reading this thread if you like :
    http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4453

I'm not sure if we guys represent 'Craggy Island' and you here are 'Rugged Island' or the other way round ? ;o)

• I'm glad you can post here, but I'm really confused why you're having those problems.

I'm running Ultra Black and Graphite at the moment, so you think you've got it bad :-)

I've just taken a break from that mega-thread., but I'm on my way back...
  • edited November 2012
    Father Jack is one of my heroes.

Please! No remarks about lookalikes [-X
  • I'm glad you can post here, but I'm really confused why you're having those problems.

I'm running Ultra Black and Graphite at the moment, so you think you've got it bad :-)

I've just taken a break from that mega-thread., but I'm on my way back...
    Do not go back Dave have a holiday in floods here with us.
  • Who needs the Norfolk Broads, eh Col?

Stay safe.
  • It is the Russian Sub`s going past that cause trouble, you have to stop fishing.
  • That's a long bread roll with a bowl of Borscht? :-)
  • It is the Russian Sub`s going past that cause trouble, you have to stop fishing.
    It's the defective Scottish captains that confuse me!

"Excushe me, ish thish the way to the united shtates of America?"