Wheels of steel...

edited December 2012 in Analogue
This discussion was created from comments split from: Your Favourite Cartridge...Past or Present..

Comments

• Standing a bit close ain't ya Jerry? You haven't got the whole TT in any of them.

;-)

OK - here's the current tt setup -- 10p if you can identify it <:-P image

• Possibly Hasbro or Mattel...? I definitely recognise that record clamp from my old Ludo set circa 1981.
  • Seriously. I don't know. Some Japanese DD...?
  • edited December 2012

Hah - and I thought you were knowledgable.  That clamp is none other than the legendary Revolver "Pig". :-O

Actually, it really is very good! 

The tt is a Mitsubishi DP-EC10 direct drive.  Fully refurbed by a collector of such semi-vintage items in Holland, and then sold to me via eBay.   Fully automatic, too - heresy, I know, so don't tell anyone.   :-$

• 2 1/2p for getting on the right ball park for the TT...?
  • edited December 2012

Hmm, yes, OK.

I do love my Japanese direct drive tt's - there's just something about them ...  :x

• Looks like drinks are on me at the audiochews Xmas bash then...

You're the expert box swapper jerry. I've only ever owned one DD....
    Happy to take your word on their general somethingness tho...
    :-)
  • Btw jerry, which have you enjoyed the most?
  • Btw I will split this thread when I get back to a pooter later...
    2 vinyl threads leading the board - Dave will be most upset...
    ;-D
  • Someone do a screen grab quick!
    Vinyl currently with top 2 places!!
  • edited December 2012

My fave(s)? ....

Well, looks-wise, many folk (including me) think this Denon was a stunner .... I exhibited it at the Wigwam Scalford Show a few years back, and there was a never-ending stream of admirers!

Sound-wise -- my Pioneer PL-71 was excellent -- once suitably kitted-out with a ResoMat --

But then, suitably tweaked with a pile of audiofool lossy LP mats, the Mitsu is close enough sonically not to matter.  And the auto functions have completely won me over (as expected!).

A Pioneer PL600X dd was good too, especially once the Herbie Mat was installed.

The Technics SL7 was a BIG disappointment, however.

And, of course, a trusty Technics SL-1210 was duly installed and much enjoyed.

Sonic opinion? - SL7 worst, then Denon, Pioneer, Technics, Mitsubishi and by a hair, PL-71 was probably top dog.

All of them, bar the Techie SL7, were enjoyable, though. :)

• I'll stick with the PL-71 then...
    That Denon does look fantastic tho' - warp speed captain!
  • Dave, these are record players. They are the things that sometimes get mentioned on audio forums when folk aren't talking about digital...
    ;-)
  • Thanks for that.

I think I used to have one when I were a nipper 
    ~X(
  • edited December 2012
    I'll stick with the PL-71 then...
    That Denon does look fantastic tho' - warp speed captain!
    Yep, if you are happy to get up off your butt and cue the arm manually, there's nowt at all wrong with the ol' PL71!
  • Wow! TTs on Chews. We haven't had proper audiophiles here for ages...

FWIW I also love the look of that Denon Jerry, it looked like it was about to fly away! The Mitsu' has a kind of industrial charm about it IMO. I also reckon the PL71 arm is a beautiful thing to behold.

If TTs sound as great as they look....I don't want to know! I cannot afford the obsession that comes with it.

I have heard just three decent vinyl systems, they were PL71, Garrard 401, and a twin motor Voyd. All wonderful, as any really good source is, irrespective of format.
  • @Jim's TTs are really good. The last time I was there, much to my surprise, the Voyd was sounding better than the 401, and I love his 401.
  • Wow! TTs on Chews. ---

If TTs sound as great as they look....I don't want to know!

It's kind of distressing, actually.

I usually have a high end (viz multi-£k) CD player.  And they always sound great.
    But visitors invariably think my cheapo DD turntables with a moderate price MC cart sound better.
    Sadly, I suspect they are correct. :(

There is a magic to well setup vinyl, imho.

• @Jim's TTs are really good. The last time I was there, much to my surprise, the Voyd was sounding better than the 401, and I love his 401.

Yes Jim did say how impressed he was with the Voyd even though it is belt driven. Now made by Audionote btw at very silly prices.
    I have an ongoing in-house competition between my digital and vinyl sources. My Lenco TT is ahead at the minute but most of this superiority is I am convinced due to my Decca cartridges - digital just cannot match their real life dynamics.
  • Had umpteen techhys and always enjoyed them - the last 3 or 4 have been for hifi duties whereas previously they were for party/club/dj use. I like the rock solidness and ease of use of them and will definitely get one to pimp in the future.
    Detractors will say that an SP10 is always going to be far superior but I'm afraid I just don't have the skills or patience to get into building plinths and all the rest of it.