TT transformer upgrade

JimJim
edited June 2012 in DIY
I've just today replaced the small frame transformer for my Voyd Valdi with a much larger, 300va, toroidal transformer. 

It is now dangerously close to the 401 in terms of grip, drive and overall stop-startedness.

In theory a larger transformer shouldn't make any difference as once the correct amp rating is supplied to the motor that should be all it takes.  But I've heard this demonstrated many times over the years.  The motor or motors in this case now have a very large reservoir of current on hand to call on when the LP slows due to the signal demands in the groove.

Well worth the £45.00 IMV.

Comments

• Good news jim.
    I wish I understood properly the details of this stuff. I've heard similar reports before, and I understand the concepts superficially, but I'm aware that a superficial understanding is pretty meaningless.
  • Well I thought the thing sounded pretty wonderful pre-upgrade this week...

So the groove itself  'grips' the stylus sufficiently to minutely slow the motor? Who'da thunk it?

Perhaps these sensitivities to timing in our aural perception explain a lot about why digital is often heard as worse than analogue despite its technical superiority?
  • So the Voyd is getting dangerously close to beating the 401 now?
  • Yup very close but the 401 still has some tricks up its sleeve.  The Torlyte plinth being the major one.

Alan and Ben, it's a very very complicated mechanical process; but for brevity suffice it to say that yes the LP drives the stylus/arm combination.  A common, but wrong IMV, solution is to increase the mass of the rotating platter in an attempt to maintain a constant speed.  The correct solution is to decrease the mass and increase the torque.  The Voyd does this by using a light and rigid polymer platter and two high torque motors.  I've nudged it further along the way.
  • Can you get a Torlyte plinth for the Voyd?
  • JimJim
    edited June 2012
    Very possible and very expensive!

I may try my own variation at some point
  • Ah. That'll be the Voyd in your bank account, then :-)
  • Very good! :-))
  • Apologies for resurrecting this thread - I've just stumbled across this place.  Which transformer did you use Jim?

Alan
  • Apologies for resurrecting this thread - I've just stumbled across this place.  Which transformer did you use Jim?

Alan
    Resurrecting? Wrong time of year.
    ;-)

Alan
    Welcome Alan

I'm not sure Jim is around the forum at the moment, but I'll see if I can get a reply for you via the magic of giving him a prod ;-)
  • Thanks

Alan