Running Bliss on my Synology NAS

edited November 2012 in Digital
I mentioned Bliss before, and have just found that I can run it on my Synology NAS to keep my music library hunky dory.

Now I'm very tempted to go to ALAC and let Bliss look after maintaining the files, artwork and metadata.

I suppose I'll have to rebuild my iTunes library from time-to-time, but I think that'll be the lesser of two evils.

Hmm.

Comments

• That's exactly what i need! I hope you do soon. That way, Bliss will be a full solution to many people's problems.

Thanks for keeping an eye on Chews, BTW, it's great to have another expert on board.
  • And what of we low life numpties Dave...?
    Do you value us?
  • Of course, dahling :-)
  • Hmm. I'm not counting myself as an expert, god forbid! Just in case you were under such a misapprehension ;-)
  • Well, I've started to convert my FLAC archive into ALACs - I think I have enough space on the Drobo to accommodate them temporarily.

I'm then going to use Bliss to clean up that new library, delete the library on the NAS, copy the ALAC library to the NAS, install Bliss on the NAS and keep my fingers crossed.

Doing Linux things can be a bit in the geek stratosphere for me, but hopefully this shouldn't be a problem.

And I'll get some more space on the NAS to accommodate more DVDs, if I can be bothered to rip them.
  • Well, I finally got some time to install Java 7 and Bliss on to my Synology NAS.

It took just minutes to set up and now seems to be running perfectly, although it'll take quite a few days to go through all my files.

Here's the info on how to do it if you have a suitable NAS http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/09/17/bliss-package-for-synology/
  • A quick update. Bliss has ground to a halt after running for several days and not completing its first run through my 2,300-ish albums.

There also seem to be a load of error messages in the log - at least, some of them are error messages. I'm wondering if the little Syno doesn't have the power to run Bliss on my size of library.

I'll do some more investigation when I have the time. But, for the moment, the state ain't one of bliss :-(
  • A quick update. Bliss has ground to a halt after running for several days and not completing its first run through my 2,300-ish albums.

There also seem to be a load of error messages in the log - at least, some of them are error messages. I'm wondering if the little Syno doesn't have the power to run Bliss on my ugliness of library.

I'll do some more investigation when I have the time. But, for the moment, the state ain't one of bliss :-(
    Ficsed.
    ;-)

There also seem to be a load of error messages in the log - at least, some of them are error messages. I'm wondering if the little Syno doesn't have the power to run Bliss on my size of library.
    I've only just seen this... sorry. I've followed up by email; there might be a lot of detail inherent to fixing this which would take up too much space in this thread.
  • Thanks Dan

I was going to go through the usual channels when I had some time - it looked complicated, as you intimate.

I'll have a look at your e-mail.