Audirvana+ 1.4

edited December 2012 in Digital
The new release of Audirvana+ is out now; I shall download and try it later. First reports on Computer Audiophile are that it sounds great, even an improvement over previous releases.

Comments

• And I only got A+ 1.3.5(?) last night!

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to snag a copy later, too.
  • I just re-checked what I have read (I don't honestly know what version I have either - I assume it updates automatically like before). Yup - Version 1.4 it is, the main official advantage being the full release of 'Direct mode' (sadly, not compatible with most M2Tech gear).
  • Just checked and, despite what it told me yesterday, it was 1.4 that downloaded. And I think it might well sound better - I remarked to Colin in an e-mail this morning about how good the system sounded last night. More natural/organic, perhaps.
  • I was enjoying my system last night also, but I cannot remember if I set A+ to update by itself. I shall connect the monitor & keyboard later and find out what's what.
  • I just re-checked what I have read (I don't honestly know what version I have either - I assume it updates automatically like before). Yup - Version 1.4 it is, the main official advantage being the full release of 'Direct mode' (sadly, not compatible with most M2Tech gear).
    It downloaded with Direct mode selected by default, so nothing happened until I deselected it. I wondered at the time if that was something that wasn't there before, but as it seemed to be reporting it was downloading a point release, I thought no more of it. Had to get on with the music!
  • I was enjoying my system last night also, but I cannot remember if I set A+ to update by itself. I shall connect the monitor & keyboard later and find out what's what.
    MIne downloads the update and then asks me if I want to install it.
  • More 3d, better separation, and noticeably sweeter treble. In fact, everything seems that bit better controlled.

Nice little update.
  • Not sure about the sweeter tweeter(!), but I'll go with the 3d and separation.

Although maybe your perception of sweetness is related to me saying to Colin that the system was sounding more 'organic' (get me!).
  • New release of Audirvana is out now.  It has two integer modes.  The default setting is '1' which is Damian's new mode.  I'm listening to it now on headphones straight out my MBP and there is definitely more detail than in the previous version.  I often struggle to hear changes in software versions but even my cloth ears can hear the different here. I really like it.

Would be interested to hear what Dave/Alan/anyone else on here running Audirvana make of this new release.  

Here is a link to Damian's announcement on CA.

• I've downloaded but haven't yet had a chance to listen.
  • Hey man, thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately (or not?) - Dave and my DACs cannot accept integer/direct mode, as they are incompatible. I have written to M2Tech about this, prompted by such lyrical waxing as yours, to enquire whether the Young will be updated to become natively USB2 compliant. I was told 'Mai', and it was explained to me that integer had no advantages...

...the context in this case being, the Young has proprietary drivers and a unique method of asynchronous USB acceptance, called 'Bulk transfer mode'. This is supposedly very useful, and addresses many issues....yadda yadda... I honestly have no idea what it means, other than I can't have integer mode.

Because, I am told, my DAC is so stinkin' great I don't need it anyway! So there! (You may read from that, that I would actually quite like to have integer mode...)

The following is copied from M2Techs 'Base knowledge' document:
    "An alternative to isochronous mode is the bulk mode, when the host may
    use almost all the available bandwidth to transfer data to the device.
    This means up to nearly 480Mbps on a 2.0 compliant port. This is quite
    enough for high resolution audio, far beyond the 192kHz limit. The bulk
    mode is difficult to use as there’s no audio USB interface IC which can
    use it. The only way is to use a generic USB 2.0 device interface IC and
    program it to handle a streaming connection using bulk mode. This also
    required specific drivers. The development effort is relevant and the
    use of a device based on bulk transfer is not very easy, but the results
    are outstanding. In bulk mode, there’s no timing control by the user:
    it only sends data when it wants or when the device require them. This
    leaves to the developer freedom to handle the transfer timing by the
    device side, rather than by the host side as happens with the
    isochronous mode. The device can be provided with very precise clocks
    and, being the master in the transfer, virtually isolates the latency
    variability from the output timing. An interface using bulk mode with a
    precise local clock may achieve extremely low jitter. Another problem
    related to USB is the fact that the device is often bundled to the
    host’s ground potential. Also, it often uses the USB 5V supply, which is
    also very poorly regulated and carries a lot of digital noise. One
    thing must be understood, anyway. The bad quality of the “USB sound”
    cannot be due to the poor quality of the USB 5V supply itself. Somebody
    says that the jitter on an USB transfer is due to the noise on the bus
    and that, for this reason, an USB audio device will never give high
    performance. That’s not true. We can transfer audio data on an USB bus
    in bulk mode obtaining a very low jitter, regardless of the quality of
    the USB port supply. The ground noise is another story: decoupling the
    USB interface ground form the device ground (by means of magnetic or
    optical isolators) is a good practice. M2Tech devices all work in bulk
    mode and all have outputs which are galvanically isolated from the host
    ground. The bulk mode allows for data transfer rates up to 192kHz
    (hiFace and hiFace Evo) or even 384kHz (Young)."
    The 'Well Tempered Computer' indicates it is rather an exclusive/lonely club.
  • Oh yes, I forgot that ;-)
  • ....and a big  #-o from me....I'm listening direct on my MBP which is not integer mode capable either.  

Try it anyway chaps and see if you can hear a difference.  I am going to re-install the previous version tomorrow and do some A/B'ing.  Either I'm going mad (quite possible) or the latest version sounds better without integer....won't be able to try integer for a couple of weeks now as my system is all packed up ready to move house again.

Interesting comment from a Devialet owner over on CA......

'Devialet makes an appealing argument for unadulterated music signal purity. However, I’ve never found Devialet’s Air function superior to wired inputs using either Pure Music or Audirvana. As updates for PM or A+ appeared I’ve installed and vacillated between the two, usually preferring Audirvan. Now, with Audirvana 1.46, the choice is clear; whatever magic Damien has managed, it’s all musical pleasure. The Devialet people would be smart to contact their countryman about incorporating A+ at the receiving end of their Air function.'

The MacBookPro is certainly integer mode compatible, AFAIK. Apple removed traditionally understood integer mode support when the bought the Lion OS out (and it wasn't reinstated with mountain lion), so Amarra, Pure Music et al can no longer offer integer mode.

It's just that Damien (of A+) has found a new way (a better way, according to him) of implementing a variation of integer mode ) - he used to call it 'direct' mode. Actually, he has two ways now, and It's the only MAC software player that can do it. So by all means, continue to enjoy your integer mode, James. I understand the PS DAC is compatible.
  • Thanks Alan. I was getting confused because Audirvana is not showing 'INT' on the display which it obviously will only do when it's connected to an integer capable DAC.

PS Don't worry about him, he's from Barcelona!
  • I think I followed that  :O
  • I'm using the latest version now, it seems at least as great as before but I can't be sure how much 'better' it is. Maybe I don't get to listen often enough to really familiarise myself with what's going on.

There is an improvement for sure, but I also upgraded to Mountain Lion on the same day. I just can't say where the improvement is coming from.
  • edited March 2013
    I realise I never upgraded the White MacBook to ML. Must do that.

Audirvana+ 1.4 sounds good, but I'm not sure how much better.

The TQ Class A makes a much bigger difference :-D