More thoughts on the Green Goddess

edited April 2013 in Amplifiers
OK. I'm smitten.

This is the most seductive sound I've ever had in my system - save for the TQ Iridium 20 Colin brought round for the afternoon. There's a certain amount in common between the two amps, but the Iridium has more sophisticated and larger power supplies. 

I'll get the one downside out the way quickly - she doesn't have the sheer low-end destroy-the-foundations ability that the Iridium has. She's maybe not the best amp for a heavy rock fan.

But I soon forget that when I listen.

As far as I can work out, Colin's Class As (and there are one or two other examples around in this forum) are the best of all possible worlds. They have the naturalness of the best valve amps, without the rose-coloured specs. The precision, poise and get-up-and-go of the best tranny amps, without any hint of grittiness.

They somehow transmit more detail than any other I've heard, yet without shouting or false aggression. And the huge soundstage the TQ Atoms have impressed me (and visitors to Ugly Towers) with is belittled by the Class A's. Where the recording calls for it, the musicians are right in your face. On others, the soundstage extends back to infinity and beyond (that's enough, Buzz).

Timing, rhythm and just to please Ben, the shape of percussive events ;) are all there, but at the same time as a sense of ease and air.

OK. She gets a bit hot, and is rated at a mere 12 watts per channel, but neither really matter.

As I said, I'm in love!

Comments

• Sounds like a keeper then Dave. Edpecially if it can shape percussive events well.
    I've never heard class A so can only imagine what that's all about, but from what you write; sounds luverly. Enjoy.

Oh, and - you shameless shill, ban this sick filth, etc., etc.,...
  • Well, it goes without saying, doesn't it ? 

Who'd listen to someone who'd sell his soul for a collection of Col's off-cuts? 
    =))
  • Dave class a ,whatever next, if it is an evolution of my 20watter it is good .  :)
  • She is good ;-)
  • I don't know about you, Chris, but I've found I'm playing music louder with the Class A. 

The Green Goddess sounds so utterly effortless and distortion-free, that I crank up the level and only notice how loud it is if someone talks to me, or I notice pressure in my eardrums.

And, to answer your rhetorical question about whatever next, a larger Class A sometime in the future so I can rattle the foundations and play rock the way I want it.

• You should have heard the TOCA 300W. Foundation movers.
  • dave, your right there distortion free means greater volume that i'm only actually aware of when someone else mentions it. 300w :)
  • Interesting that you've had the same experience.

Only 12 watts, but I'm making more noise :-)
  • The Iridium A Class is back from it hols in Switzerland and the 6 Moons.
    But no Toblerone in the box with it shame. 
  • That's a bit of a surprise isn't it Col? ;-)
  • The Iridium A Class is back from it hols in Switzerland and the 6 Moons.
    But no Toblerone in the box with it shame. 
    Was it as confused as the rest of us?
  • edited April 2013

No but it did salute and stand to attention as it was marched into the listening room. Spotless and smelling of Edelweiss singing  "The hill's are alive with the sound of a SECA" 
    Odd things A Classes.

• Doh, ray, me, fah, se, ca, tee, doh.
  • Very funny. Now put it on MP3
  • It amazing I never noticed how many Single Ended A Class Amp were about, and in just 3 magazine reviews today I found 4 being reviewed all tube.
    I think I will have to bring out the all new Z Class soon.
    Infinite Power 
    Silly Loads
    Runs cold (ideal for beer)
    Frequency BW DC - 141,141,141 Hz -0.001dB
    Ideal for Passives pre amps and no lights.
    And a Damping Factor of 3142
    Idle power 1uW

Not a chance I get my mate Dick to do it.

• That's about the size of it, as far as I can see, Col. Loads of single-ended Class A valve amps.

What you do need to invent, though, is Class W - just like Class A, but consumes less power. ;-)
  • I say that because the Green Goddess has been on since about 10:30 this morning, contributing to EDF Energy's profits  @-)
  • Some body has to pay for those exec dinners , so might as well be you and me.
    Other mods done on A Class for those's of us who have neighbors that cant quite hear the delicate percussion of the Kettle Drum 4 doors down.
  • edited April 2013
    Missed typed.
  • I think my neighbours can hear the drums, even with an unmodded 12-watter :-D
  • edited April 2013
    But is it clear and crisp and is the image real, or do they just think the walls are falling down?

• I haven't dared ask!