I'm getting to the stage where I want to nuke iTunes

edited April 2013 in Digital
As my digital collection grows, iTunes' propensity to mangle its library file, resulting in missing albums (still there on the NAS) and duplicated file names (not duplicated files) gets more and more of a PITA.

Before I spend a lot of time trawling the Interwebs for solutions, I wonder if any of you have found a way to make iTunes behave?

Comments

• You could try thrashing it within an inch of it's life (John Cleese style with a big leafy branch); Personally I gave up on it a year ago and use these Ceedee thingies which always seem very well behaved  :D
  • Use Windows!
  • I'm trying something radical at the moment, not so far away from using Windoze.
  • edited April 2013
    Windolene?
  • Winalot for healthy coat and bones? >:)
  • iTunes:

• You no like it?
  • Nah. They lied. 'It just works...' or worked, anyway. I maybe wouldn't expect so much of a windoze program, but for something that is supposedly well-sorted and ergonomic, I have too often found iTunes a frustrating experience.

Also, in the back of my mind I am aware that everyone I know who has a background in software considers it a bloated, horrible mess of a program. I'd rather more elegant, less buggy solution.
  • I started off hating iTunes, then got to like it, now I've fallen out of love with it.

I'm hoping I can find a playback solution that sounds good and doesn't rely on iTunes.
  • Me too - apple are taking too long to get it right. After this long, they should be finessing itunes, yet they still seem to be at this stage:

• That is a very disturbing image, Mr B.
  • Well, I have found a way of nuking iTunes for my office system.

If I install the Audio Station software on my Synology NAS, I can use that for playback from the NAS's web interface.

Unlike using iTunes with the iTunes Server on the NAS, I can see the cover artwork. 

The sound seems fine for working to, and I'll see how it works out over time.