Return to Sanity

edited June 2013 in Say hello
Hey All (especially Dave, Ben and Alan)

I thought after wasting 2 years NOT posting on here I'd pay a visit and see how everyone's doing.

You guys are going to love this: I know I'm VERY late to this party but I just bought a Young Dac + Paro PSU from a nice chap on PFM.
Sound superb (as you guys already know).

Looking forward to some fun banter (for a change) :D

Comments

• edited June 2013

Hi Jason, you are most welcome (you always were). :)

Now, about this star 'wars' silliness you used to engage in - wassat then? It's TREK, don't you know!

BTW, Young DAC is pretty cool, ain't it? I'm still enthusing about mine, can't fault it really.
  • edited June 2013
    Great to see you Jason.
    And, right away, please remind Alan that you like Star Wars.
  • Alan, in my view this rivalry between Trek and Wars can only lead to good things:

Now I'm sure you'll point out that Trek is clearly on top, but frankly who cares, just leave them to their fun...
  • Yep, I'm loving the Young, especially through the new (to me) VALVE AMP it's playing through!
    That's right folks my journey to the Dark Side is almost complete.
    All I need now is a healthy mother-load of TQ cabling, but only if I can SHILL the crap out of it on lots of forums :)

• Hehehe I like you. >-)

Didn't you get some EAR509s from AoS? If I only ever owned one valve amp, it'd be them for sure.
  • Welcome back my friend (to the show that never ends) - did I say that. Prog does occasionally poke through from my deep past.

The Young is amazing. I thought it would fall by the wayside by now having gone along Colin's cables and Class A route - frighteningly revealing. But the Young just gets better. So far, I haven't questioned its ability to deliver. 

I'd love to get my hands on a Vaughan, but I haven't finished in the amp department yet. I know that's where some jaw-dropping goodness is to be had. Col keeps threatening me with hearing his new Class A monoblocks, the bugger! I need to get some children so I can sell them to raise the money :-)

You snagged some 509s? I'd love to hear them.

One for Dave that one.
  • All I need now is a healthy mother-load of TQ cabling, but only if I can SHILL the crap out of it on lots of forums :)

There are other forums?

• edited June 2013
    ...The Young is amazing. I thought it would fall by the wayside...I'd love to get my hands on a Vaughan..Col keeps threatening me with hearing his new Class A monoblocks...You snagged some 509s? I'd love to hear them.

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome.
    I also thought the breed of DACs that came with the Young a couple or so years ago would be out of date by now, but out of all the DACs that I've heard since then the Young and the Calyx still stand out as a couple of the best (without going to silly money). I'd love to hear the Vaughan too (and the Femto). I'd have thought you would have done a Piggy review by now... Come on get yer trotter out!

So yes, the 509s are in downstairs with the Audiovectors for now and I just can't stop listening to music through them. It'll be interesting when I put the NVAs back for comparison but for now I just don't want to swap them out.
    So what happened to your TDS? And how do Col's efforts compare? It's a shame you're the other end of the country as I'd have loved to come over with the 509's and heard your Class As...
  • edited June 2013
    There are other forums?
    Well, to be fair some are forums, others are blogs dressed up as forums, but they are all dangerous. It's a jungle out there so be careful...
  • ...The Young is amazing. I thought it would fall by the wayside...I'd love to get my hands on a Vaughan..Col keeps threatening me with hearing his new Class A monoblocks...You snagged some 509s? I'd love to hear them.

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome.
    I also thought the breed of DACs that came with the Young a couple or so years ago would be out of date by now, but out of all the DACs that I've heard since then the Young and the Calyx still stand out as a couple of the best (without going to silly money). I'd love to hear the Vaughan too (and the Femto). I'd have thought you would have done a Piggy review by now... Come on get yer trotter out!

So yes, the 509s are in downstairs with the Audiovectors for now and I just can't stop listening to music through them. It'll be interesting when I put the NVAs back for comparison but for now I just don't want to swap them out.
    So what happened to your TDS? And how do Col's efforts compare? It's a shame you're the other end of the country as I'd have loved to come over with the 509's and heard your Class As...
    My TDSs are still here.

Col's Atoms beat them as I've said here. But the Green Goddess (my 12 wpc Class A) is something else entirely. However, the Green Goddess is not in the same league as the TQ Iridium 20, which is the most amazing amplifier I've heard. The Green Goddess is (comparatively) lacking in low-end welly and general impact.

I'd still like to hear the 509s alongside her.
  • There are other forums?
    Well, to be fair some are forums, others are blogs dressed up as forums, but they are all dangerous. It's a jungle out there so be careful...
    All of them?
  • Don't risk it Dave. Stay by yer like.
  • Oh, I was going to leave for another one :-D
  • Crikey. The very thought.
  • edited June 2013

"The Internet. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Smiley
  • Dave, who do we know that lives half way between us? Let's invite ourselves over to theirs with all our amps and have ourselves an old fashioned amp bake off... 
  •  

"The Internet. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

Smiley

So that makes these guys...who exactly...?
  • Now Benjamin, don't bait me.  You just watch yourself. I'm a wanted man. I have the death sentence on 12 forums.
  • Now Benjamin, don't bait me.  You just watch yourself. I'm a wanted man. I have the death sentence on 12 forums.
    Good man.
    Thank you. I was hoping for a dignified (and suitably Star Wars reverential) response.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm just too chilled out for anything more. I'm listening right now to what Carol calls Swedish red-neck music (she hates it and has retired for the evening):

• Swedish red-neck music...
    You know how to manage an expectation don't you...?
    Something up with the link mind.
  • I'm just too chilled out for anything more. I'm listening right now to what Carol calls Swedish red-neck music (she hates it and has retired for the evening):

[ok I give up how do I embed a youtube vid!]
    You wait for Dave to do it.
    I seem to remember a time when it kinda happened autmatically...
    Could you just paste the link for now? I'm intrigued.
  • ok - try it now

I figured it out - doesn't work with iframes.... but we geeks always have other tricks up our sleeves :)
  • I'm just too chilled out for anything more. I'm listening right now to what Carol calls Swedish red-neck music (she hates it and has retired for the evening):

WTF?
  • Dave, who do we know that lives half way between us? Let's invite ourselves over to theirs with all our amps and have ourselves an old fashioned amp bake off... 
    Dunno... Who does?
  • Should be at Paul's place (Dursley) - he has his new and luverly RF speakers.

Astute woman, that Carol of yours...
    ;-)
  • ok - try it now

I figured it out - doesn't work with iframes.... but we geeks always have other tricks up our sleeves :)
    You will do well here.

• edited June 2013
    I'm just too chilled out for anything more. I'm listening right now to what Carol calls Swedish red-neck music (she hates it and has retired for the evening)
    Astute woman, that Carol of yours...
    ;-)
    I'll take that as an insult   :P
  • edited June 2013
    Should be at Paul's place (Dursley) - he has his new and luverly RF speakers.
    Well I'm up for it if Paul doesn't mind a random bloke turning up with some amps...
    And I followed that speaker build on here with awe - very impressive and well beyond anything I could ever hope to do myself...
  • edited June 2013
    They sound very good (even with a valve amp :-p ).
    I only mentioned Paul's place as he's been suggesting an amp bake off at his place recently. I think Col (TQ) was interested.

Edit: See the Reference Fidelity Components loudspeakers thread.
  • I can't find that thread to register my interest but if Paul's reading this then I'm up for an amp-off if it's on and there's room for me :)
  • See my edit above...
  • Hmm, I thought my work here was done, the thread satisfyingly trekked, but apparently I was wrong.

The force is strong with this one.

• Actually, I don't know where this thread is going - lets add to the ambiguity:

• Actually, I don't know where this thread is going - lets add to the ambiguity:

Well, straight into the Sarlacc pit if I have anything to do with it...

I'd like to add a different kind of ambiguity and say that I'm going to turn up to Paul's bake-off wearing these:

And these: