eBay Watch

Comments

• For a broken pair! A Broken pair!!

Royd RR3, £440
  • edited December 2012
    Are they in full working order Alan?
  • Bloody hell!
  • I really do hope they work, or he'll be pretty stuck. I had my eye on them for spares, but even in parts they aren't worth more than £250 all in.
  • Music system with massively upgraded clock:

The styling doesn't chime with me  X_X
  • Is it winding you up then?

• On the face of it, yes.
  • I have to hand it to you for that one...
  • I think its time has come  :D
  • You're winding me up?... Bare faced cheek...but I have to hand it to you. :P
  • Very, very tempted to have a punt on these, but they are in Stroud!  :(

• Magnum MF 250 power amp (one of Colin's designs) - £200!!! 

According to the thread, it's 20 watts class A, then class A/B, same circuit as the claymore. A bit of a bargain?

• Very, very tempted to have a punt on these, but they are in Stroud!  :(

I work in stroud.Happy to pick them up for you if they'll fit in my car - I can't see the dimensions on the listing tho to see just how massive they are.
  • That's a very kind offer, Ben. I found the relevant dims on The Vintage Knob: 80 x 58 x 37cm. 41kg, each presumably. Do you think that's do-able?

Do you have room to store them until we we can meet up? Maybe you could use them in your music loft on the Claymore?

TBH, I hadn't really considered I might have a shot at them. If any of this is stretching things in any way, tell me. I certainly do not need them, and I don't think it's worth anyone being inconvenienced over them.

Let me know, the auction ends today. I also have to check they are in full working order.
  • Thanks for the kind offer Ben, they went for over a hundred pounds which is more than I was going to spend. Common sense prevails for a change! I think the speakers were easily worth what they went for, and more probably!

I do appreciate the kind offer though.
  • Shame. I was looking forward to selflessly checking them for you.
  • edited February 2013
    Look at these: Mitsubishi Diatone 2S-305.

I think they are a lovely piece of design, and that they would grace any living room.

I can't comment on the high price as I have no idea what they're worth, byt just look at the quality of the installation and the attention to detail - down to the brass plate on the x-over box! Me want! :x

I wonder if they sound half a great as they look?

• how much?.....
  • I forgot to bid on these a few weeks ago - I just spotted them when trimming the dead wood out of my ebay watch list. I would never have expected great things, but I love the design.

Kolster Brandes

• Also on e-rips there is a 1984 Claymore which sold for £285 in 1984 for £340 what the hell is going on out there, crazy world. Just about 2 yrs ago you could buy one for £150 Why a big hike in prices, in 1987 Claymore new were only £350.
    This one has been played with, wrong screws and the twit did not work out how to remove the lid without marking the front, and he does refer to the Balance adjust on the bottom as volume, OK, and he got shorts on in this weather.
  • edited March 2013
    Have you tried buying an old VW Beetle recently, Col?

There's a nostalgia market for the Claymore much like it, but on a smaller scale, of course. 
  • I had a white VW Eyewig, until a Norton rip the front off.
  • A glut of Royds on ebay this weekend, including some Doublets, many Minstrels, some tasty Edens on the right stands (open Kan style) and these rare Squires:
  • edited April 2013
    AR3a: Always hankered after some.

I am not the only one to rate them:

• Slightly????  :O
  • Best I've seen for a couple of years:

Impulse H2

• This is cool, a real bit of history:

Chief Designers set of Dynatron LF 16 / 15 and TC 16 Monoblocks & Pre-amplifier.

Never sold by Dynatron, this kit belonged to the designer himself.
  • edited June 2013

It's my old amp! Good to see the old girl again, I hope Justin gets a sale. It's a really fine amplifier.
  • I would have thought selling through the forums or hifi sales sites, and with a bit of patience, you could get closer to £1000 for them. I wouldn't sell mine for less than £950.
  • edited June 2013
    I tend to agree Jason, though Justin isn't really one for the forums - not that I criticize him for that! I think he just wants to move it on ASAP, as he's on to something else now. He also has a very small front room now, and that TSS is a big old amp!

The rest of this post is a bit close to breaching the rules here at 'Chews, as it is raking over old disputes; but I would like to state the following 'for the record', as NVA are publicly broadcasting factually incorrect statements once again. I will be busy the rest of today - so if the other mods decide this post needs to come down then that is fine by me - I defer to their judgment.

The following 'question' has appeared on the listing, presumably from Mr NVA himself:
    This amp was sold under the condition it would never be sold on as it is
    a prototype, as such if it is sold on NVA disown it and it will not be
    serviced by us.
    I think it's a shame things come to this, but RD is 'revising history' (I personally would describe it more strongly) to suit his agenda again. The fact RD is ignoring is; TSS was bought by me as a 'B' stock item in 2010, from an ebay listing - it was on general sale, and as such was available to the general public, and no restriction of future sale was placed upon it IIRC. If I was in breach of any such conditions, I invite NVA to supply a copy of the original listing, in which such terms would have been prescribed, to prove their assertion, if they can.

Here is the receipt from the sale, showing it was a public auction rather than a private sale with terms attached:

The part about NVA not supporting the amp was later, not a condition of the sale, and was purely personal. Here was the email NVA sent:
    On 29/01/2011 22:50, Richard wrote:

Just a note to tell you that
    you and the other mods at the Subjectivist Uglymusic clone
    have been banned permanently from The Hi-Fi Subjectivist.
    PLUS I personally want nothing further to do with you, I
    do not accept being lied to by people I considered to be
    my friends. You said when you were here you were a member
    and an occassional poster when I complained about that
    spam clone, now I find from being told by Docfoster that
    you are part of the organisation.

If I were you either don't
    let your amp go wrong again or try to sell it!!! because I
    am FFFFing disgusted with you.

Richard Dunn
    Interestingly, if any potential buyer can see past NVA's bluster and lies/shaky recollections/revisions (delete as appropriate), they would still be getting a superb amplifier, which I still consider to be in the 'last amp you'd ever need' class, and it is rock solid. As things stand, I have a spare A80 circuit board in perfect condition should anything ever go wrong with it which I could supply, though that is unlikely given how heavily engineered this particular amp is (NVA use the exact same circuit board on all their amps from A40 up to Statement AFAIK).

I also finally found this old email, which I knew I had somewhere... it confirms that my old TSS had the larger power supplies from the TDS:
    Wednesday is fine.

Try it and see which you prefer, then that
    way is better. If you prefer the TSS on its own then you have another fund
    raiser in the A40s towards your pair of cubes :o))

TSS is better than A80's, but the one you are
    getting is a TSS built on a TDS chassis with the bigger TDS transformers, so you
    have a bargain. It is just it is a bit marked and the transformers are potted
    which doesn't look as nice, but you will see when you collect it. You wont be
    dissapointed.

Richard
    I have to agree with him, it is a truly excellent amplifier and I was not disappointed (with it).

• Your recount appears more objective than one could expect, and is backed up with evidence.
    RD has made his position clear, and I understand that this is reported on the current listing, so everything appears out in the open. Let the great public make their own decisions.
    I see nothing to mod' here. I'll move along, move along.
  • I tend to agree Jason, though Justin isn't really one for the forums - not that I criticize him for that! I think he just wants to move it on ASAP, as he's on to something else now. He also has a very small front room now, and that TSS is a big old amp!

The rest of this post is a bit close to breaching the rules here at 'Chews, as it is raking over old disputes; but I would like to state the following 'for the record', as NVA are publicly broadcasting factually incorrect statements once again. I will be busy the rest of today - so if the other mods decide this post needs to come down then that is fine by me - I defer to their judgment.

The following 'question' has appeared on the listing, presumably from Mr NVA himself:
    This amp was sold under the condition it would never be sold on as it is
    a prototype, as such if it is sold on NVA disown it and it will not be
    serviced by us.
    I think it's a shame things come to this, but RD is 'revising history' (I personally would describe it more strongly) to suit his agenda again. The fact RD is ignoring is; TSS was bought by me as a 'B' stock item in 2010, from an ebay listing - it was on general sale, and as such was available to the general public, and no restriction of future sale was placed upon it IIRC. If I was in breach of any such conditions, I invite NVA to supply a copy of the original listing, in which such terms would have been prescribed, to prove their assertion, if they can.

Here is the receipt from the sale, showing it was a public auction rather than a private sale with terms attached:

The part about NVA not supporting the amp was later, not a condition of the sale, and was purely personal. Here was the email NVA sent:
    On 29/01/2011 22:50, Richard wrote:

Just a note to tell you that
    you and the other mods at the Subjectivist Uglymusic clone
    have been banned permanently from The Hi-Fi Subjectivist.
    PLUS I personally want nothing further to do with you, I
    do not accept being lied to by people I considered to be
    my friends. You said when you were here you were a member
    and an occassional poster when I complained about that
    spam clone, now I find from being told by Docfoster that
    you are part of the organisation.

If I were you either don't
    let your amp go wrong again or try to sell it!!! because I
    am FFFFing disgusted with you.

Richard Dunn
    Interestingly, if any potential buyer can see past NVA's bluster and lies/shaky recollections/revisions (delete as appropriate), they would still be getting a superb amplifier, which I still consider to be in the 'last amp you'd ever need' class, and it is rock solid. As things stand, I have a spare A80 circuit board in perfect condition should anything ever go wrong with it which I could supply, though that is unlikely given how heavily engineered this particular amp is (NVA use the exact same circuit board on all their amps from A40 up to Statement AFAIK).

I also finally found this old email, which I knew I had somewhere... it confirms that my old TSS had the larger power supplies from the TDS:
    Wednesday is fine.

Try it and see which you prefer, then that
    way is better. If you prefer the TSS on its own then you have another fund
    raiser in the A40s towards your pair of cubes :o))

TSS is better than A80's, but the one you are
    getting is a TSS built on a TDS chassis with the bigger TDS transformers, so you
    have a bargain. It is just it is a bit marked and the transformers are potted
    which doesn't look as nice, but you will see when you collect it. You wont be
    dissapointed.

Richard
    I have to agree with him, it is a truly excellent amplifier and I was not disappointed (with it).

I have no problems at all about you setting the record straight in this case.

If you're right about the source of that question, Justin doesn't deserve to have his sale potentially undermined for reasons I don't wholly understand. 
  • Thanks chaps. I appreciate being able to explain these things, and I now consider the whole ugly thing closed (once again).

I agree it is a shame for Just's sale to be undermined, but hopefully a little truth in the public domain will be helpful.
  • edited July 2013

• Wassat den?
  • Shit before it drops :-)
  • edited July 2013
    UPDATE: ok, apologies to all, I regret polluting this forum with negativity so I have removed my comment. 
  • edited July 2013
    Well, I have/had vested interests so I cannot possibly edit this! I find it to be in line with my own understanding of the situation.

Just one thing to add - there was one other big TSS (they were made out of a pair of TDS mk2, which were a failure and returned by the customer - NVA rebuilt them as TSS). I think that was the one which went to Holland, or Austria possibly? - to a music teacher, IIRC, who later bought cubes. It's a few years ago now though, so I can't be sure who got it - it might even have been our good friend Sergio, come to think of it!

Edit: - There must actually be three big TSS - the two TDS rebuilds, and my old one, as that was a prototype. I still think Sergio got one.
  • Dave, not at all - I fully expected it to be deleted by now as it's probably not a very productive rant and life's too short for conflict...

• Dave:

• I think you look very smug for it :-)
  • edited July 2013
    Justin (who just sold the TSS)  got lucky with some rare Royd Revelation RR1s for a bargain price this week - now another set in as many days!

Little beauties.

• edited July 2013

Hi Alan, hi guys, how are you ? ;) lately i havent a lot of time for forums but sometimes i read them , well about the tss mkII ive bought in 2010 is a b-stock which i paid 1140 pounds , well i have to say is an hell of an amp , despite some little problems on the rca connectors that were fixed with a bit of soldering , it goes very well, now it plays with a pair of epos es22 bought from a "colleague" :) of us , James aka sovereign and it goes well...very well, honestly i dont know if the trafos are smaller than the a80s ones but is a heck of amp really and it weighs not less than 20 Kilos...
    Alan, im curious where did u get that seca amp, i know is very rare, it is one of the old days of mr Wonfor? 
    ciao to all !
    s