eBay Watch

Comments

• i have just checked the trafos on my tss , they're 250 va (all four)
  • My mk3 TSS has no transformers. It's powered by a separate big black perspex case, full of humanity.
  • Justin (who just sold the TSS)  got lucky with some rare Royd Revelation RR1s for a bargain price this week - now another set in as many days!

Little beauties.

Over £300 already. Justin got his for £225, with an amp & CD player! @-)

• Hi Alan, hi guys, how are you ? ;) lately i havent a lot of time for forums but sometimes i read them , well about the tss mkII ive bought in 2010 is a b-stock which i paid 1140 pounds , well i have to say is an hell of an amp , despite some little problems on the rca connectors that were fixed with a bit of soldering , it goes very well, now it plays with a pair of epos es22 bought from a "colleague" :) of us , James aka sovereign and it goes well...very well, honestly i dont know if the trafos are smaller than the a80s ones but is a heck of amp really and it weighs not less than 20 Kilos...
    Alan, im curious where did u get that seca amp, i know is very rare, it is one of the old days of mr Wonfor? 
    ciao to all !
    s

Hi Sergio,

Great to see you around again! I don't whether you got a larger TSS or not, it's just that in my mind I thought yours was like my old one.

FWIW, when I wrote my review of the TSS I put in that the transformers were 2x240va, ans 2x260va on the output. I don't remember where I got this from, possibly from NVA directly on the old HFS forum, but it was never corrected if it was wrong. (The review went up at HFS, pfm and WigWam, and I know for a fact that at least one other TSS was purchased following this review - I drop that in to show I am in no way an NVA basher.)

I have no clear idea of the current TSS, TDS of A80 traffo size, although I am sure it has varied a few times over the years.

• Hi Sergio

I just noticed the last line of your post.

There are a few SECAs around (I have one, too) originating from Mr W, and they are quite something - you'd never believe how much noise 12 watts of Class A can make!
  • Justin (who just sold the TSS)  got lucky with some rare Royd Revelation RR1s for a bargain price this week - now another set in as many days!

Little beauties.

Over £300 already. Justin got his for £225, with an amp & CD player! @-)
    That's one of the things with eBay. It depends who's online. Similar stuff can go for radically different amounts from week to week.

eBay really is a gamble.

(See I got all the way though the post without once calling it fleaBay. Oh...)

• Hi Alan, hi guys, how are you ? ;) lately i havent a lot of time for forums but sometimes i read them , well about the tss mkII ive bought in 2010 is a b-stock which i paid 1140 pounds , well i have to say is an hell of an amp , despite some little problems on the rca connectors that were fixed with a bit of soldering , it goes very well, now it plays with a pair of epos es22 bought from a "colleague" :) of us , James aka sovereign and it goes well...very well, honestly i dont know if the trafos are smaller than the a80s ones but is a heck of amp really and it weighs not less than 20 Kilos...
    Alan, im curious where did u get that seca amp, i know is very rare, it is one of the old days of mr Wonfor? 
    ciao to all !
    s

Hi Sergio,

Great to see you around again! I don't whether you got a larger TSS or not, it's just that in my mind I thought yours was like my old one.

FWIW, when I wrote my review of the TSS I put in that the transformers were 2x240va, ans 2x260va on the output. I don't remember where I got this from, possibly from NVA directly on the old HFS forum, but it was never corrected if it was wrong. (The review went up at HFS, pfm and WigWam, and I know for a fact that at least one other TSS was purchased following this review - I drop that in to show I am in no way an NVA basher.)

I have no clear idea of the current TSS, TDS of A80 traffo size, although I am sure it has varied a few times over the years.

hi Alan, thank ya :) yes i think the a80s' trafos have varied trough the years, i think the first pair of a80s started 20 yrs ago, maybe more...
    ciao!
    s
  • Hi Sergio

I just noticed the last line of your post.

There are a few SECAs around (I have one, too) originating from Mr W, and they are quite something - you'd never believe how much noise 12 watts of Class A can make!
    Hi ugly! i have a good amp by mr CW , the claymore, da bomb! :) of course the seca must be better, but at cost of course, if i stumble in one of these...at good price... :)
    ciao!
    s
  • edited July 2013
    Just snagged that pair of Sapphires going on eBay.  I can really feel myself turning into a Royd standmounts collector...

In today's money Royd Sapphires would be £350, so I was willing to bid up to 50% of this, £175... 
  • What, Justin's ones (wood finish)?

Lovely little speakers IMO, they will make your foot tap!
  • http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-Audio-Sapphire-Stereo-Speakers-Excellent-Condition-/181168393961 << these ones.  Just need to find or make some foam tweeter surrounds.
  • Folks, I owe everyone an apology for polluting this forum with negativity so I have removed my previous comment about the TSS and A80 transformers.

Dave, can you please remove your post referring to my original one so there is no history of this left on here.

thanks,
    Jason
  • Tis done. Dave's away, but I'm sure he won't mind my doing it.
  • Some very nice Impulse Lali on WigWam, here.

Some very nice, refurbished Impulse H2 on pfm, here.

• Me very tempted, but with a house move in the works, new speakers aren't really a sensible way to go  :((
  • I'm sorry, did you say sensible? I am truly shocked...

Best of luck with the plans Dave - is it what we discussed last time I visited?
  • I'm sure you're fully up to date. We've decided to buy something small down here, and perhaps by something small up there sometime in the future.
  • I should think so, Col. The word of the street is the designer is almost as good as the legendary RD ;-)
  • I should think so, Col. The word of the street is the designer is almost as good as the legendary RD ;-)
    Cool  B-)
  • Form an orderly queue!
  • Royd RR3, Naim, Rega etc... Nice all in one system right here!

• Not sure about the Naim and Rega ;-)
  • Allison 6, look at the condition!

Which reminds me, I should add the AR3a to Lasse's list.
  • edited September 2013
    Not ebay, for sale by Simon Clarke ( @sq229517).

For sale here. £2100, bargain.

Advertised here also.

Rebuild thread with photos here.

Photostream here.

Very much worth a look, extraordinary attention to detail.

• Whoa! Class A goodness :-)
  • WOW THATS FANTASTIC!
  • Goodness me, these are very old the capacitor date is 1982.
    The MC stage had re-chargeable batteries to reduce noise.
    The power amp used Hitachi Fets which were made obsolete within 6mth of production.
    The "Flat Earth" mag loved them. Long nights chatting over a hot curry with Malcolm and Chris dipping toast into a hot spice mix.
    Fun days but hard work.
    Were is Chris Frankland now???

Hi Colin,

He's out of hi-fi and into photography.
    HFW tried to interview him about the hifi days a couple of years back back he wasn't interest at all:

Here's his site:

Hi Rob, I contacted him about 5 mths ago he is going to do some photos for us nice stuff.
  • edited November 2013

Impossibly pretty!
    Too many knobs and woodworm.

• some folks really enjoy playing with their knobs Col , especially when they are in wood  #-o =))
  • New listing on eBay which seems very cheap. Just over 5 hours to go!!

EBay Inca Tech ID25

Only it isn't what it purports to be. Colin says this has been converted to Push/Pull, when it was originally SECA. A 'Bodge'. Also if you look at the output transistors and the capacitors on the PCBs there is a suggestion of heavy repairs/modification in the past.

£250 for an ID25 did seem too good to be true...
  •  
     I've never seen a single ended ID25 apart from a picture in HiFi review.

The PCB's in that amp are the same as the three i've had here, it says ID25 A/B on the circuit boards.

• quickie said:

I've never seen a single ended ID25 apart from a picture in HiFi review.

The PCB's in that amp are the same as the three i've had here, it says ID25 A/B on the circuit boards.

I've often felt confused by this.
    Simply because I've read and heard different things. Paul, I recall your stating that the refurbed ID25 I purchased from you wasn't SECA, but at some point Colin has mentioned that the ID25 was a SECA design.
    I haven't lost sleep over it or anything, just wonderin' like...
    In any event it's a lovely Wonforian amp. Mine doesn't get the use it should. Bloomin' big mind. :-)

•  Nothing was ever said about the amp I sold you being a fake, so I havn't got a clue.

• quickie said:

Nothing was ever said about the amp I sold you being a fake, so I havn't got a clue.

Fake...? That hadn't crossed my mind.
    I'm making myself insufficiently clear here. Apologies.
    I'm confused because information from 2 people whose knowledge I trust, and who I know I'm right trust, have said seeningly different things. I suppose I'm assuming there's some simple reason (not fakery)...
    :-)
  • quickie said:
    The plot thickens...
    Or possibly thins...
    :-/
  • edited May 2016

Docfoster said:

Fake...? That hadn't crossed my mind. 

Me neither, but thats what Alan is basically saying here.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=188422

• Yes. I see what you mean Paul.

I suppose there are lots of different issues at play here.
    My own specific interest in this point is almost purely accademic: ie what was the standard design of the ID25? Your link to the official contemporary literature appears to confirm that it was PP.
    Thanks for that. :-)

This is certainly what you told me at the time you sold me the one that you had refurbed. Great amp, beautifully restored, and dual-monoised. Also, I know that had the boards not been 100% kosher, you would have told me. You allowed me to borrow it for a while. It sounded great, and I kept it over the amp I was using at the time. There began my Wonfor Class A collection. :-)

My confusion then, stems from my vague recollections that Colin later told me that the ID25 was single ended. I think this was probably during a face to face or telephone conversation. There's mention of this in this post from me from September 2014, but I can't find any posts from Colin himself:

Docfoster said:
    I had it confirmed today that the ID25 is indeed single ended...Apparently (according to the man himself) the main difference between the two is that there are more washing maching parts in the TOCA...
    I am imagining that Alan's comments result from Colin recently reporting something similar to him...?

Now I'm thinking of that that Hifi Review ID25 that you report you saw that was SECA...
    Is it possible that at least one ID25 was SECA and others PP...? And that Colin is remembering the SECA one(s)...?

Hopefully Colin will arrive soon to shed light on this. :-/
  • edited May 2016
    Anyone remember Soap (the American comedy series)?

Catchphrase "Confused? You won't be after this weeks episode..."
  • sondale said:

Anyone remember Soap (the American comedy series)?

Catchphrase "Confused? You won't be after this weeks episode..."
    :-)
    That's the episode I'm waiting for!
  • edited May 2016
    I Whatsapp'ed Colin to say: "There's an Inca Design power amp ending on eBay today, in Taunton, who is it? It's title is: Excellent IncaTech pure class A 25 watt power amplifier. I just emailed a link. 6 hours to go, £250!"

Followed by: "It's an odd one. Still has the old binding posts. Output devices have been changed on one side, in fact the whole pcb may have been swapped."

This is the reply (verbatim) from Colin, to which I added or implied nothing:
    AntiCrap said:

It is not a ID25 been bodged  a pp design

• @Uglymusic: Quality small speakers for office system?

Sabre

Sabre (nicer)

The nice thing is colin knows a few tips to improve these.
  • These are what I have and they are brilliant.

Sonata

Probably better still with some simple tweaks like cabinet bracing, lambs fleece wadding, new capacitor and wiring inside.
  • Alan said:
    These are what I have and they are brilliant.

Sonata

Probably better still with some simple tweaks like cabinet bracing, lambs fleece wadding, new capacitor and wiring inside.
    I'd like to try those.
    I have a couple of pairs of smallish JPWs from a similar vintage (not Sonatas) and they always impress. Even the JPW mini-monitors I picked up for a tenner are annoyingly good for their tiny tiny size.
  • Alan said:
    I Whatsapp'ed Colin to say: "There's an Inca Design power amp ending on eBay today, in Taunton, who is it? It's title is: Excellent IncaTech pure class A 25 watt power amplifier. I just emailed a link. 6 hours to go, £250!"

Followed by: "It's an odd one. Still has the old binding posts. Output devices have been changed on one side, in fact the whole pcb may have been swapped."

This is the reply (verbatim) from Colin, to which I added or implied nothing:
    AntiCrap said:

It is not a ID25 been bodged  a pp design

I think I'm resigning myself that as far as I'll ever know, the ID25 is an "enigmatic" product.
    Perhaps I'll find mine later today and take the lid off it. Maybe I'll see some valves in there...!